Mod Yays! Don’t Starve & Gateways On Steam Workshop

By Craig Pearson on September 3rd, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Strideerrrrrrrr!
The Steam Workshop is an interesting barometer of a game’s post-release success. Strike Suit Zero’s Steam Workshop has been live for a few months, but it only has eight lonely items populating its server space, and pointing it out is making me feel quite awkward. Erm, moving on. Don’t Starve’s new Workshop is a lot healthier. The cutest survival game you ever did see recently updated, adding a new level, more creatures, new items, and more importantly mod tools for players to do whatever they want to the game. And while I’m espousing indie modding, the lovely Gateways has also just added Workshop support, too.

Gateways workshop is strictly for new levels, whereas Don’t Starve has everything. New starting equipment, houses, HUDS, and cheats. They’ve really opened the game up for modders to do whatever they want. My favourite is Michael, here. He looks so put upon!

So sad.

I’m a little bit late with this. Apologies. I was going to post about it last week, but when I popped into the Steam Workshop to check it out I ended up looking at Prision Architect designs instead. You’d be amazed at the number of articles I’ve written that started as other pieces. This post was originally the sequel to The Shawshank Redemption. I got to a scene where the characters entered the prison Workshop, and now we’re here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

Top comments

1. Heavenfall says:

I’m a modder from Don’t Starve, and the devs have really gone out of their way to make it easy to mod the game. They have actively involved themselves in the modding community after release, taking suggestions, polling modders, and drawing up plans for what will be done. The game has all its game mechanics in (uncompiled) LUA scripts, making it very easy to tweak it or modify it. Only the background 3d engine and the animations are currently very difficult to change.

For an example of what can be done, check out the Tallbrood mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=172578691&searchtext=tallbrood

It alters an existing monster called Tallbirds so that they have lifecycles. They build nests, drop eggs, hatch the eggs, nurture their young until they are adult, and thus slowly expands across the map. This behaviour was modded in – normally Tallbirds just drop eggs that the player can eat or try to hatch for pets.

1. Heavenfall says:

2. Didden says:

Can you mod it so I don’t starve?

3. Moth Bones says:

That character looks adorable. I find Don’t Starve exceptionally enjoyable in bursts. I’ve not yet made winter though.

4. fish99 says:

I only starting playing Don’t Starve recently. It’s very cool, but oppressive, stressful and sometimes scary, but the big issue with the game is when you die with lots of time invested, your motivation to start again just dies.

• Drayk says:

Exactly what happened to me… made it to day 28 after several tries… then I died stupidly by not pausing the game and I stopped playing. Maybe i’ll try again someday.

• Damien Stark says:

Seconded.

I started it months ago, and loved it so much for about three days. It has the same joy of discovery, invention, and carving out your own little refuge that I remember loving in Minecraft. But with better art and delightful sights and sound! So much to love!

But when you die in Minecraft, you lose whatever you were carrying (with the possibility of retrieving it). When you die in Don’t Starve, you lose everything. All the time you invested is gone, even the world that was generated is gone.

Yes, I know about the Touch Stones (rare, limited, and you might not come across one in your randomly generated world) and the Meat Effigy (difficult, time consuming, permanently lowers health).

Yes, I know what roguelikes are, but I’m not sure that permadeath mechanic is best applied in a game so focused on crafting, building, tech tree, and the passage of time/seasons…

Perhaps there’s a mod out there that would solve this for me?

• Morgy says:

Yeah, I found the same thing – it feels like just too much time investment to just lose it all and have to start over. It feels OK while you’re just starting out and dying in silly ways after just a few days (or at least I did), but by the time you’ve survived your first winter a death just feels like too much of a loss.

This may be heresy to some, but I’ve decided to ‘cheat’ by backing up my game data after surviving my first winter – on steam this simply means creating a copy of the Steam\userdata\[accountno]\219740 folder. This way there is still some tension and risk, but I don’t have to start over completely.

5. bstard says:

Oh Dont Starve. How quickly we fell in love and how fast it was over again. I should give her a call some day.