Nightmares In Slumberland: Lucid – The Awakening

By Adam Smith on September 3rd, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

I’ve received a smattering of emails about horror games today. A smattering is more than the usual single dollop of horror that waits for me, lurking with intent and denigrating the size of my various parts. Lucid: The Awakening caught my eye because, despite the very real possibility of fictional dreams being no more than an excuse for the worst kind of bewildering nonsense, as a close acquaintance of Mr Sleep Paralysis, I find dysfunctional sleep processes fascinating and terrifying. Here’s how this particular Little Nemo’s quandary begins.

At The Cortex, patients are uploaded to different Nightmares to test the concept of Lucid dreaming…while in each nightmare, a corresponding villain will be within, trying to stop you from completing the objective. Once all objectives are completed, the player enters an elevator to proceed to the next level or nightmare.

Villains! You can catch a glimpse of one of them in the concept trailer below.

The video certainly did the trick – the fear is in me. Unfortunately, it’s the fear that this may be a Slender-like ‘walk forwards until a scary noise happens’ sort of game. Maybe the trailer is too early. I did like the introduction of the smaller Inception horn toward the end though. Sort of an Inception kazoo.

A Kickstarter launches soon and hopefully, with more info and a better idea of how it’ll actually play, we’ll know whether or not to maintain interest. As of now, I’m dubious but willing to wait for more. Especially because the developers told me things like this:

In Lucid, there are no weapons. Each level will have a different light source that matches the environment of the dream. The monster in each level will be roaming the map. Searching for you. The player will have two methods of survival. To hide, or to distract.

A monster that actually roams, rather than being triggered at certain points, or popping out of thin air and saying ‘boo’ randomly, could well take this from tedious to terrifying. It’s on Greenlight if you fancy clicking a button to demonstrate approval and future interest.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Kefren says:

The cornfields remind me of the first level of “Land of the Deas: Road to Fiddler’s Green”, a game I enjoyed despite the poor reviews.

2. Haplo says:

Kind of an interesting concept. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Title’s pretty World of Darkness though, which is kinda funny…

3. richardeflanagan says:

Lots of dream related horror games in the works. As someone who has had the blessing and curse of suffering from hypnogagic hallucinations, paralysis, lucid, and hyper-real nested dreams for nearly two decades, I’m quite curious to see where they go.

That said, I’m going to be pretty critical too. The game I would love to make leverages these experiences, but the tools to make that game do not exist yet, so ya, good luck to the teams trying to tackle the subject!

• vivlo says:

i really like the universe you create, they are much more onirical than this. This seems to follow the way of the movie Inception in a dumbed down conception of dreams as some sort of hyper hollywoodian/american movie set where threats are only rational external entities which can at worst appear from nowher. No poetry. No sense of surrealism, of collision of levels of reality/symbolism you always experience while dreaming.

tigerfort says:

I confess I found the trailer mildly irritating, rather than at all scary. The idea of a dream-based horror game certainly has potential, but whether this will be the one to make something of that idea… unless they can come up with something a lot more compelling than this, I won’t be backing the kickstarter.

5. Kein says:

Look quite cheap, like Doorways. And the latter turned to be really mediocre and bad.

6. TheBarringGaffner says:

Looks absolutely unremarkable to me, honestly.

7. The Random One says:

I quite like the concept of a horror Miasmata taking place in several dreamplaces, but I’m not sure this will be it.

8. lucidthegame says:

Thanks for the comments! Just to clarify, we are still in the early stages of development of the game. We will have an actual gameplay trailer soon! The game doesn’t focus so much on the details of lucid dreaming, rather testing lucid nightmares in a simulated environment at a facility called The Cortex. For more information on the plot, screenshots, and to back this project, check out our Kickstarter:

Thanks for your support!