Shades Of Sanity Wants Your Mind

By Jim Rossignol on September 3rd, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Shades Of Sanity is a forthcoming “psychological horror game”, which means that rather than being a straight up BOO, YOU’RE DEAD action horror game, you face creepy creepy environments and unreliable experiences of MADNESS. It’s a sort of Gone Home with serious derangement. The developers explain: “With only limited meds to cope Joe explores the house, learning that each previous resident is somehow connected to him, and each has met a horrible fate. Eventually his meds run out and you are left with primitive methods to cope with the strange and surreal visions, hoping that if you close your eyes or look away they’ll disappear. But even innocent scenes could be feeding a deeper delusion.” Yikes!

A new trailer shows off the early part of the game, below.

The cheery chappy doing the voiceover is a bit at odds with the atmosphere, perhaps.

The game has a currently active Kickstarter.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Gravy100 says:

wow, gone home has spoilt me in the voice acting department

2. Mstrymt says:

Not really my cup of tea, but every-time i see a game that has effects based on sanity I always think of Nintendo’s bullshit patent from eternal darkness.

• stahlwerk says:

What the hell…? Did Frictional have to license this for Amnesia?

Patents on Software are the pits.

• Kyin says:

If I remember correctly, Nintendo could theoretically sue Don’t Starve and Amnesia for using a sanity meter. They didn’t do it because they could lose and the result would be not worth the cost, I guess. For companies it’s good to have patents everywhere, in case something with, for instance, a sanity meter (or a square with rounded corners) gets really, really big.

Also, ideas can’t be patented in every country. It’s possible in the USA, but not in France for instance. So the “licence” for using the idea would only apply to the games distributed in America and others countries which allow patenting ideas.

3. gschmidl says:

This is by the guys who made Sanitarium back in the day, one of my favorite adventure games despite its flaws, and that it’s at 5% is nothing short of criminal.

• phlebas says:

Quite. Gone Home meets Sanitarium and hardly anyone is interested?
      The pledge levels perhaps don’t help – $125 is the lowest to get anything physical sent outside the US – but they haven’t even filled up the early bird slots for just the game!

• strangeloup says:

Sanitarium was crap, in a funky skillo sort of way.

This just looks like a ghetto version of Amnesia, I’m afraid :/

• mwoody says:

“Made” as in “programmed,” not designed or created art for. Which is not really interesting at all.

• wererogue says:

Looks like a decent prototype, and I *definitely* got a sanitarium vibe from it.

4. Maxheadroom says:

Pledged without even seeing the video (cos im at work but love this type of game)

Not sure about the tiers they have set up though. I usually browse the higher ones to find a balance between what I want / can afford but the only one that appealed to me here was the base ‘get the game’ one.

Things like Alpha Tester & Focus Group in a game built around suspense spoil the end experience for me. Sort of like watching the Making Of featurette on a DVD before watching the film it’s self.

Or is it just me?

• phlebas says:

Not just you. Getting the final game a bit earlier than the rest of the world is quite appealing; exclusive access to spoilers beforehand, not so much.
      I suppose it depends a bit on the nature of the game, though – for something more ludic, getting to see the game in progress and contribute to tightening the design could be fun. But with a game based more around narrative and discovery I’d rather wait for the finished version.

5. VCepesh says:

At the moment, it seems more humorous, than horrifying. And, actually, I would’ve liked to take a look at the game, parodying “psychological horror” and all the associated tropes.

Also, I really wan to know more about this mysterious “Condition E”. How is it involved? Is is the true source of our predicament? The true name behind the horror, squirming and slithering at the edge of our vision and sanity? What did it do with “D” and “F”? What will it’s completion mean to the fate of mankind?

6. Harlander says:

Are they gonna do a game where your mental issues make you think there’s some kind of horrible squamous nastiness lurking behind everything but in reality everything’s pretty safe?

• orient says:

I think there’s danger/death, depending on the difficulty you choose.

Beginning of the video, “The voice acting is temporary”. People in the comments complaining about the voice acting. Good.

7. SirMonkeyWrench says:

I quiet like those textures.

8. Saarlaender39 says:

A padded cell with steel bars at one end – could anybody point me the way to the dimension, where that makes sense?

Comment on this story