Castle of Illusion Remade, Released, Readallaboutit

By Craig Pearson on September 4th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

I’m doing day one, week one of the Couch To 5k down memory lane on this story, so please excuse any wheezing and sweaty patches. It was, ooh, 23 years since the original Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion was released. Games were a different beast back then: we found about them mostly from papery things with bright colours, staples and in-jokes. If you wanted to see them moving before you bought them, you had to ask your dad to take you to a shop so you could stare at a TV on a counter. That’s how I first saw the original Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion, and the next time I saw it was on my little TV in my house. Now I’m trying to figure out if it was any good, because the remake of it is out this very day. Trailer below.

I seem to remember being blown away by its graphics and animation back then, but I was also seemed to think listening to Guns ‘n’ Roses and watching wrestling was an acceptable use of my spare time. Not like today. Ahem. But the new edition seems very attractive. It’s pretty and bouncy, and looks like a modern Disney game, which is initially off-putting, but it’s also apparently a good game. Here’s what it looks like.

It should out today on Steam.

, , .

1. smeghamr says:

Man, I wasted so many saturday mornings on this game, really nice design and fluid animation, similar to quackshot..

Saying that I used to listen to Guns and Roses and watch wrestling aswell, so perhaps my opinion accounts for very little also.

• bstard says:

Oh yes I remember those days. After that the drug abuse started .. which might not be a bad combination with this game tbh.

• Drayk says:

Played this a ton as a kid… but I remember that I hated the music .

• Gargenville says:

Haha thanks the grating ten second toy land loop immediately got stuck in my head when you mentioned the music.

Gap Gen says:

I think I might have a problem. The only piece of information I’ve retained from any of this is “macarons!”

• Randomer says:

They made my eyes light up as well. I wonder what flavor they were. Perhaps some sort of raspberry for the wafer? I can only begin to imagine what the filling might be. Perhaps a white chocolate? Or citrus mint? Damn it, why must I be separated from France by a whole bloody ocean??

Gap Gen says:

It’s possible, but fiddly, to make your own. But yes, so amazing. So amazing.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

Rayman Legends has set the bar so high, seems like an odd time to release this.

Any chance of a review for Legends?

Gap Gen says:

Seconded. I mean, I already own it and it’s incredible (Eurogamer gave it 10, for example) but I’d be interested in hearing what RPS think anyway.

• Jason Moyer says:

Seems an odd time to remake this since the remake of a vastly superior game (Duck Tales) recently came out.

• Wurstwaffel says:

seems like exactly the right time to ride that nostalgia wave

• Gargenville says:

Because Castle of Illusion came out sandwiched between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Sonic 1 and could hold its head high in that sort of company. Being the second-best 2D platformer released in 1990 holds a lot more clout than being the best original 2D platformer of 2013.

(not that I don’t respect Legends more than this simply because it’s an actual new game rather than a remake)

4. Keyrock says:

It was. Still is.

• Jason Moyer says:

I was thinking “whatever replaced those 2 things is probably equally inane” but I decided to keep it to myself. Er.

• Gargenville says:

GnR was still a legitimately great rock band back when Castle of Illusion came out in 1990. They had Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City under their belt but none of the embarrassing stuff (Don’t Cry, Yesterday, Dylan covers, November Rain, that one song about being satan, basically anything after Appetite for Destruction falls into this category).

5. HisDivineOrder says:

This looks like a great game I can’t wait for a Steam sale on.

6. Lucid says:

“It should out today on Steam. “

7. Reapy says:

Couldn’t see the price… says unlock in 3 hours. If this is another 15 dollar deal will have to queue it up for steam sale… my almost 2 year old is obsessed with mickey (they got their marketing claws in early) and I can see this as a good first platformer, though might be a little too hard for him from the looks of it. I had a NES mickey platformerback in the day, was that the same one as this?

8. RProxyOnly says:

Why is Pete’s Dragon red? And is that Michael Gambon Narrating?

9. Urthman says:

Crud. For a moment there I thought this was Warren Spector’s Epic Mickey game miraculously arriving on PC.

• RProxyOnly says:

That game we can happily do without on the PC, not having it available is hardly a hardship.

• TimePointFive says:

Do you enjoy porpoises?

Rikard Peterson says:

I expected better audio from Disney. The narration and other audio of this trailer doesn’t work together at all.

11. maximiZe says:

PC version is locked to 30 fps.

12. Apocalypse says:

Oh dear that stupid trope again? Damsel in distress, yay.

I want to play this game: