The Alpha Frontier: Planet Explorers 0.62 Trailer

By Craig Pearson on September 4th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

I watched Jurassic Park the other week (spoilers: it’s still awesome), and the mixture of large lizards and modern tech seems like the appropriate primer for Planet Explorer’s mix and match world. The single and multiplayer RPG’s strength is how it ties user-generated content into the fantasy setting. You can build loads of impressive things in the editor, and tool around the world. But these aren’t just mod tools for people to use willy-nilly: they’re worn into the fabric of the game’s quests, asking you to build things for actual mission reasons. The trailer below shows what magic can be woven from those voxels, turning your designs into monster scorching mega-blasters and wonky helicopters.

I think it’s time for me to replay this. The first time I tried there wasn’t much to do, but it looks like it’s filling up a bit as well. We’re at version 0.62, which sounds perfectly playable to me. Is anyone in it? Would the adventure part of it hold up to a beguilingly handsome Scotsman heading off in one direction in the hope of finding fun, or is it designed to keep players grinding and filling out their mission log?

Version 0.53 is here for free for everyone.

Ooh, a Greenlight page.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Gap Gen says:

“Come Dinosaur With Me”

2. sinister agent says:

Gah! That opening music sting scared the bejesus out of me.

I really ought to get round to giving this a proper chance. Even if it turns out crap, at least it’s trying something a bit different.

3. Tinus says:

Obligatory if-only-you-could-talk-to-the-monsters post.

But regardless, they seem to be doing quite well and I’m impressed with their tools!

• Niko says:

Maybe you can talk to them using Morse code… with your bullets!

• Zorn says:

That lightened me up and just right the second ‘before’ I sipped on my coffee. :)

Random thought occurring while smiling and drinking coffee:
        Honey, we gotta talk about the way we talk with each other.
        And because talking with plain words doesn’t solve anything between us,
        we’ll use bullets! Well, I think beanbags might actually be a solution.
        How far is partnership counselling science in this regard?

4. Barberetti says:

The last time I tried this, there was no option to invert the mouse. Has that been added yet?

5. BTAxis says:

As I recall the interface in this game is a turd in general. I forgot which version I played, but it was painful to deal with it to the point where I just gave up.

• frightlever says:

Somewhat agree.

Haven’t played a recent version though. Last I played through the missions I hit a point where it was me armed with a pointy stick vs flying monsters the size of double decker buses – well, more or less. If it delivers half its promise it’ll be epic.

• goettel says:

Alpha is alpha.

• hemmingjay says:

Seeing as you can’t recall how long ago you tried it, your comment is of no use. It also depends on which mode you tried to play and I can only surmise from your cursory toss that you didn’t bother reading what was or was not in the alpha at the time.
      From my experience, the first time I tried it about 5 months ago it was a total mess but I could see that they were trying something great. I waited three months and came back to a really impressive game that is approaching beta. The story mode is pretty excellent and is growing rapidly. The biggest problem is that there are a couple dozen people who have been unable to launch the game and it does not seem to be a big priority for the dev. Personally, it runs perfectly on my desktop but not at all on my brand new gaming laptop.
      This is very much a game in development but it’s one with an enormous fun factor.

6. Sardaukar says:

So, Spore as done by Icepick Lodge?

7. Stevostin says:

They really should hire an artist. At least one.

Beside that, looks interesting.

8. SuicideKing says:

It’s already been Greenlit, though.

9. The Random One says:

“Alpha” sounds nothing like “final”. That pun shouldn’t work. But it does.

What foul sorcery is afoot here?

10. MadTinkerer says:

I backed it, but I’ve been so busy with all the other Kickstarters and games I bought on the last few Steam sales that I haven’t actually played Planet Explorers yet.

I did beat Magica DeSpell last night, though.

11. dagudman says:

So… Monster Hunter with guns?

Comment on this story