Under Surveillance: 14 Minutes Of Watch_Dogs

By John Walker on September 4th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

It’s never 15, is it? It’s always 14. I think it’s a code. A message the publishers are trying to send us, perhaps the very secrets to unlocking the mysteries of the universe, or perhaps unleashing hell itself? Or maybe I watched Pi a couple of nights ago and am in the process of accordingly losing my mind. Whatever the nefarious reason, there are fourteen minutes of oh-please-be-as-good-as-you-look-you-might-be Watch_Dogs to see below.

This lot is narrated by animation director Colin Graham, and is apparently all non-mission content. “Totally systemic,” he says. Which I believe is what the young people cry as they leap from surfboard to skateboard.

Of course, one of the reason this takes 14 minutes is how slowly the character walks everywhere. And I’m not entirely overwhelmed by the words, “Everything in the environment can be hacked, so we’re going to make some dynamic cover.” As opposed to every other game where there’s already just some cover. Come on, game. Be different. But then you’ll see how an emergent crime intervention becomes a car chase. And coo, it’s looking beautiful – that really is Chicago!

I also really like how morality isn’t defined by meters in the game. Get spotted doing something naughty, and it’ll affect your reputation. But do it behind closed doors and you’re the only one who has to live with what you’ve done. And then that interesting blur of other players being able to appear in your single-player game. Well, take a look at it in the last section of the video – it looks really good.

Please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. AndrewC says:

“This is a working class neighbourhood. It’s not the sort of place you’d want to be alone in after dark.”

Oh wow, that’s fairly spectacularly tone deaf. Well done!

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

“Working class neighborhood” seems generous. That looks like a slum where you probably do have a pretty good chance (relatively speaking) of getting robbed and/or murdered.

• dontnormally says:

“It’s really not the kind of place you’re going to want to be alone after dark.”

shows only black people

• Max Planck says:

Well, it does make sense. Over in America, the blacks, the whites, the asians and the hispanics are still practically segregated, with the blacks usually living in poorer (rougher) inner-city areas while the whites resides in the suburbs. Have a look at this map: http://www.coopercenter.org/demographics/Racial-Dot-Map
        It uses the data from the 2010 census.

• Mark says:

Yeah because economic segregation along racial lines doesn’t really exist in real life America – only in the heads of game developers right?

Can’t fucking win with people like you. Depict an uncomfortable reality and you get attacked for it, gloss over it and you get attacked for that instead.

• ffordesoon says:

That made me laugh.

• hemmingjay says:

Considering the crime statistics by race in urban areas, I would say it is spot on. Instead of being metro sensitive you could be objective and educated with a dash of bravery. It would make you more interesting than yet another tired hipster espousing bland party lines. Your sociology 101 and 201 classes did not impart you with any sort of intellectual advantage over anyone with two eyes and an ounce of honesty.

• Yosharian says:

Go walk around working class neighborhoods at night for a month, get back to us on how it went, we’ll wait

Seriously stop being so fucking touchy, yes in working class neighborhoods you’re more likely to get robbed/mugged/assaulted, don’t cry about it, it’s a fact of life

• DrollRemark says:

Did they change it? Because he didn’t say that in the video I just watched. He said “it’s a rough neighbourhood.”

• Shooop says:

Have you never visited a “working class” area like that before?

• gshauger says:

But it’s factual…move along

2. Liudeius says:

As a Ubisoft game, what I’m hoping for is “please don’t have awful DRM.”

• whexican says:

Don’t all PC ubisoft games require uplay now?

• TechnicalBen says:

You have it from the horses mouth that “just like real life, nothing is black and white”. So on good authority there, would you feel bad finding a grey method of removing the DRM? Really, people should be careful that what they preach meets what they expect, let alone do.

So it’s a game about hacking. That’s fine. It’s not “real”. Then is it advisable to present it saying “as long as no one sees/finds out, it’s ok JUST LIKE IN REAL LIFE.” Hmmm… then do they have room to complain when in real life someone says it’s ok to break DRM/copyright because they thought “no one will find out”?

I’m not defending either side here, just asking for one of them to be consistent. :/

• whexican says:

I wonder if the makers of Daemon Tools, popular software used for mounting cracked software, are upset that there software is hacked.

• Liudeius says:

Oh, well I’ve done that, purchased a game then cracked it to avoid DRM, but I still try to avoid it because
        1) I hear cracks have some risk of being trojans.
        2) It’s still giving them money for their awful business practices.
        3) I’m sure it must be illegal, that’s the way the law works.

• Valvarexart says:

No, that is not the way that the law works, or should work for that matter. That is the way their terms of service work, but if they try to ban you/remove your digital content because you manipulated content (that you legally purchased) in any way for personal use, they are breaking the law.

• Wurstwaffel says:

It’s also a game about killing people, do you fucking do that, you dick?

3. Zekiel says:

Pi is really freaky

Also Watch Dogs may or may not be good. Also: DRM? Hmmm.

4. marsilainen says:

Is this from xbox360 version or something? Looks pretty low quality settings.

• RockandGrohl says:

It’s PS4 – you can see the context menu buttons are square, X, Triangle, R1 / R2 / L1 / L2. That and it’s got a 1080p stream suggests it’s PS4. However it looks totally underwhelming and worlds away from the PC version Ubi shown off. Good bait and switch to get the console peasants hyped up.

• Comrade Roe says:

Er, PS4 is just a high end PC at the moment. Not really much lower than what you may have. Less mindless elitism please.

• gunny1993 says:

Mid range PC

Roughly valued at around 350 GBP without OS

• Valvarexart says:

That’s a low-end PC, to be quite honest.

• gunny1993 says:

Well you can get a 6870 and a lower end processor and mobo for that price which is the equivalent of the one in the Xbone and PS4.

• RockandGrohl says:

Sorry, no, PS4 is equivalent to an AMD 6 core and AMD 7870. But this is just speculation. However just look at any footage of BF3, Watch Dogs etc when it was first revealed to the console versions. It’s the same with Far Cry 3 – looked fantastic when it was revealed, they didn’t say it was the PC version, but it always is…

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Too true, with the code optimisation available to consoles they will piss all ower a similar speced PC (but don’t tell the uber PC brigade)

• gunny1993 says:

Given that the core architecture is going to be closer to PC than it has ever been, any benefits to one will almost certainly benefit the other as well as making ports easier for all involved.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

So there will be an improvement from the standard of current ports, yes, hopefully BUT like I said the optimisation available on consoles means they will piss all ower a similar speced PC’s, Deja Vue! The overhead of not wringing every last drop of performance available from a PC’s architechture due to a massive pool of differing hardware to one where you actually can will be massive, STILL!

5. Orija says:

I’m getting tired by these bait-and-switch tactics. This is definitely not how the game looked when they first revealed it at E3. I know graphics don’t make the game but I certainly don’t like being blatantly lied to.

• Viroso says:

A lot of the gameplay stuff I’ve seen so far seemed very scripted. I wouldn’t put so much stock on this game and I don’t know why people are still so hopeful. Don’t think it’ll be a bad game, I just think it’ll be yet another game where you run around a city and shoot people.

There’s only so much that can be done with that. Also who even walks like that playing a game. Run, run all the time!

• Fox89 says:

The reason people are hopeful is because whenever someone says “I dunno… this all looks pretty scripted to me,” Ubisoft tend to come out and say “Actually this is all dynamic and emergent. None of that was scritped”.

So either they’re lying or it’s awesome. Either is possible of course, but it’s certainly grounds for optimism.

• Wut The Melon says:

I may be very old-fashioned, but I’d actually rather see that it is precisely the fact that those are all ‘random events’ that make me sceptical. Random generation is all the thing nowadays but in most cases random events lack depth and become stale very quickly.

Sure, someone setting the cops on you because a television shows you’re wanted is pretty cool – the first time that happens. But is it still fun the 4th time? Or the 10th?

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Randomly selected scripted events is where the truth lies IMO, I think you will soon tire of the rinse and repeat ‘random’ events!

• Gonefornow says:

It’s a sandbox with a linear storyline. We’ve seen those before.

The small things they might be pushing aren’t worth the investment.

• Artificial says:

Definitely agree with this. I think people follow the info on this game, and see the game they want it to be rather than the game it actually WILL be.

All of the game play videos don’t show very natural game play at all. Again, they show you it as if it reflects how you’d go about it in real life. When you actually play it as a game though, it’ll be nothing like that.

Have a feeling there will be a lot of ranting and raging when this gets released.

• Azradesh says:

Honestly it doesn’t look different to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYr3D8H72fw e3 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JcujYbctPk e3 2012

Where’s this amazing footage that looks SO much better than what you just watched?

• adammtlx says:

I’m wondering the same thing. All the videos I’ve seen since I started following the game after it was announced have shown basically the same stuff.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

It’s probably being demoed on a Xbone or something, while during E3 it was a high end PC. I hope.

6. whexican says:

“Nothing is black or white, but rather many shades of grey.”

I have it on good authority from a very reliable source that Watchdogs will have, in fact, 50 shades of grey.

• Viroso says:

So far the morality stuff I’ve seen in the game is kinda weird, like…. “all of the guards hired by this company have a shady past” – gamespeak for KILL THEM ALL MERCILESSLY IT DOESN’T COUNT!

Or how the main hero walks around shooting at cops and causing them to crash their cars while also acting as some street vigilante. At the very least he’d be a deranged maniac with weak grasp on reality, but I doubt in the cutscenes it’ll be played out that way.

7. MuscleHorse says:

But who watches the Watch Dogs? And more importantly, who walks them?

• crinkles esq. says:

And do the Watch Dogs wear watches? And if so, are these watches smart? And if so, can we hack the smart watches worn by the Watch Dogs?

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

As long as they pick up their data packets when walking them I don’t really care!

8. squareking says:

14? 1 – 4 = -3. Half Life 3 will release -3 days before Watch_Dogs! It’s so obvious!

9. Jason Moyer says:

This is totally different from every other bland serious open world game because there’s an in-fiction reason for the mission-selection HUD.

10. Viroso says:

You know I think the best way to make a game where the player can do stuff their own way is by not giving the players specific tools and paths just for that and instead just allowing the game to be a total mess. Example, Mercenaries.

There was hardly any cutscene when approaching a mission scene, you’d just get there and get things done. Maybe if there was a chase you’d try to block the way before hand and the AI would just be lost, maybe you’d just blow everything up, I dunno, and the game would react.

Sometimes the reaction could make it impossible for you to do things the way you wanted to, sometimes it’d accidentally make things too easy. Most of the times it would be a total mess that would force you to improvise. It wouldn’t look sleek and cool, at times you’d be hiding behind some shoddy cover awkwardly regenerating some health or get your tank stuck awkwardly like you’re trying to fit a couch through a narrow door.

Then you get a game like Deus EX: HR. It goes all the way with this “you can complete the mission in multiple ways” thing, but then you find out all of the ways to complete a mission are already laid out, and there’s a stupidly convenient stealth path to follow or this one NPC you can talk to and dissolve the entire situation. It is all very defined already, and it doesn’t really feel like you’re completing the mission however you want. Instead it feels like it just locked away some content from you.

11. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I won’t play an Ubisoft game unless it has a convoluted, multimudia meta-narrative that transforms even the simplest, most entertaining hooks into dense, stupid Dan Brown knock-offs.

I’ve got standards.

12. VCepesh says:

Hm. To be perfectly honest, Saints Row IV presented a more plausible vision of the capabilities of virtual technologies. Also, had a stronger moral compass. “Shall we rob this woman (we should’ve waited to confirm she’s also a single mother) blind, while she is distracted caring for her baby? Why not! It’s totally morally gray.”

• strangeloup says:

Yeah, I was put off by that. I felt more sympathy with the protagonists in the GTA games — hell, even Prototype’s actual literal monster protag is more relatable — because they at least are fairly well cast as antiheroes. This guy just seems like an asshole.

13. povu says:

This is the sort of multiplayer I love.

• kud13 says:

As long as there’s an option to play offline, I’m happy for you.

Otherwise, I will not purchase this game.

• Piecewise says:

It’s called turning your internet off.

• Burgmond says:

I completely agree.

The last thing I want in my SINGLE-PLAYER GAME is another absolutely random player turning this gorgeous looking game(graphically and gameplay-wise) into a multiplayer-call-of-duty-rage-fest without my damn permission and TAKING MY CRAP. Please, oh please Ubisoft, give me an offline feature. If you don’t, I will hate you as much as I do GWFL. No questions asked.

P.S. No DRM plz.

Your fan,
        ME

14. Gap Gen says:

In France when you tell someone you’ll see them in a fortnight you say I’ll see you in 15 days. Because obviously 7 + 7 = 15.

15. Yosharian says:

Only thing I didn’t like is the easy way with which he dispatched an entire team of security guards. One popped by a stealth kill, without hiding the body afterwards, and then the IED, which is fine… then he pops bullet time and massacres the remaining 3-4 guys? Not liking that, too easy.

16. DarkX2 says:

I just registered to say this:

At Gamescom I was given a presantation of Watch_Dogs that got me extremly exited. However it was almost exactly the same presentation that is in the Youtube clip.

The player entered the control center the same way, he hid behind the same cover. He used the same fighting techniques. Then he interupted the crime – that took place at the same exact spot. The criminal fled – and used the same car.

When he arrived at the weapon shop the same thing with the TV happenend. He then went to the same WiFi spot and hacked the same mothers cellphone.

Even the intruder was hid on the same spot like in my presenation and the final battle took place in the same alley.

Some details were different – but basicly they showed you the same things they showed earlier. This could mean they have just this one generic thing that gives a taste of everything – or that there is not as much choice in the game as they actually put it.

• Jesse L says:

Scoop! Thank you for registering to tell us.

• DrGonzo says:

I think it’s quite common to script things like that for presentations, the game is probably not in a finished enough state to really show us anything dynamic, and they feel this is representative. Will have to wait and see, but it looks really promising!

• Stevostin says:

This means they have rehearsed a demo, which is pretty common practice. Also they have a script happen obviously during that demo because it’s unthinkable in front of an audience to “wait” for an event to trigger. That being said this kind of promises are typically keeped.

• Azradesh says:

That’s because it’s the same vertical slice. It’s something made to briefly show people many aspects of the game.

• Behrditz says:

Thats what vertical slice means, really. Its one section of a game, completed top to bottom to show off something. The rest of the game might not even exist yet. Thats why you see things called pre-alpha gameplay, even though it looks almost complete. The only thing completed is exactly what you are seeing. The overall gameworld could be in a completely different state of development

• Yosharian says:

Doesn’t really mean anything

17. Muzman says:

14 minutes just means they can’t be bothered verifying their youtube account, perhaps?

18. staberas says:

my love for this game
    made me preorder even if its on uplay ……

19. Dayofthedan says:

wow that gameplay video was really well orchestrated

20. Freud says:

This one’s certainly on my radar now.

21. Alaric says:

This is insane! At 8:28 he is buying eight rounds for $50! That’s $6.25 per round! What are they made of? Unobtanium? I lived in Chicago for 18 years and yes, it’s the most corrupt city in the US, and yes the ammo prices were at their highest recently… but WTF is this, LOL! In a game that takes such pains to recreate Chicago accurately, why is the economy completely make-believe?

(Yes, I know, hacking is also not actually what it looks like in the game. But come on, we all know why hacking had to be simplified for the sake of the game. What purpose do funny prices serve, though?)

Otherwise this looks awesome and I can’t wait to play it.

• HothMonster says:

He pulled off the highway into downtown Chicago to browse handguns and shotguns, and the price of ammo is what breaks the reality for you?

(Chicago especially but also Illinois still have some of the most stringent gun laws in America)

• Muzman says:

Maybe it being fiction has something to do with it.

• Dr_Barnowl says:

It’s the future, a future where corporate dystopia has occurred – inflation is clearly teaching the pocket of the common man. And maybe government are taxing ammunition sales in response to cries for gun control.

22. Hypnotron says:

Zimmerman simulator?

Who watches the Watch Dog? At least the way the character was played in the clip, he’s a sociopathic murderer.

• Alaric says:

Hmm… hmm… what exactly do sociopathic murderers have to do with Zimmerman?

• Hypnotron says:

Self appointed vigilantes usually are a few french fries short of a happy meal… that’s all i’m saying.

• Alaric says:

Funny that. I don’t recall Zimmerman being a “self appointed vigilante.” If memory serves, the jury of his peers has determined that he was acting in self-defense while having his head smashed into concrete by a bigger and stronger man.

• DatonKallandor says:

If my memory serves everyone agreed that the verdict was shitty but inevitable due to state laws, not because he was actually not guilty.

• Hypnotron says:

So OJ Simpson is not a murderer? This whole “a jury of his peers determined” line is for the birds.

But i have nothing else to say. I’m not interested in changing your mind on anything. I’ve said what I wanted to say.

• Alaric says:

Daton, who exactly is this “everyone” you are referring to? From what I understand, the majority supported him, found his treatment to be reprehensible and the actions of the federal government — criminal. Not only did he do nothing wrong according to the law, he did nothing wrong period. Any man attacked by a criminal has a right to defend himself.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Alaric, if by “majority” you mean gun ownership zealots and stand-your-ground proponents, you’d be correct. The rest of us consider Zimmerman to be an armchair cowboy who was too lazy to be a real cop and had to settle for a shitty community watch position in order to fulfill his power fantasies.

• rockman29 says:

Except that is only because it was in USA and using Florida laws like stand your ground BS.

The guy would’ve been convicted as a murderer in almost any other country I can bet.

• MarcP says:

In an ideal world, every insufferable idiot who assumes he speaks for the majority would be jailed.

Both sides included.

• Rublore says:

@MarcP
            I think I speak for everyone when I say that this is a great idea.

…Oh.

• hemmingjay says:

It’s abhorrent how opinionated and ignorant people are. Zimmerman was not a self appointed vigilante. He was the head of a neighborhood watch who was doing his job in a neighborhood with 8 recent burglaries most of which were described as having young black assailants some wearing hoodies. Some of these reports were made by the black residents of the neighborhood, most of whom sided with Zimmerman initially.
            Zimmerman did not claim Stand your Ground or any such crap, it’s regurgitated crap from lazy liberals who make things easy for Fox news watching borderline racist conservatives.
            If you spend 6-10 hours reading all of the evidence and testimony from the trial and listen to the audio that was not edited by the media whose interest is in inciting idiots and causing a controlled emotional reaction, you would only come to one conclusion. However, that’s not how people act anymore. They deem themselves as psychic experts. Somehow they think after watching 15 minutes of a news broadcast and maybe reading a “REAL” expert debunk things on reddit, that you suddenly know better than everyone else involved and need to protest or at the very least blast everyone in the public with your very valuable, very well formed opinion.
            Go ahead, keep on living with your ears shut and your mouth open. You definitely aren’t a cornerstone of the collapse of reasonable society.

• Muzman says:

No everything about the case gets into court (or should necessarily, btw). The judge also invoked stand your ground in the advice to the jury. The existence of the Stand your ground defense is also part of why the case was not examined properly in the first instance.
            Doesn’t mean the outcome would have been any different necessarily. But I think everyone would have been more satisfied had the investigation been more thorough from the outset.

Conservative, self defense types or legal eagles barking “Zimmerman never invoked Stand Your Ground!”, are dealing incomplete information as badly as any ‘lazy liberals’ who suggest he did.

• hemmingjay says:

You make some good points and I agree about a more indepth and consistent investigation, free of media interference However, may I clarify one point about the use of Stand your ground in the trial? The only reason it came into the trial is because the officer on the scene stated that Zimmerman did not need to be arrested due to Stand your Ground laws. The media ran with this claiming that it was a magic bullet that let Zimmerman claim it to get off from a clear cut murder charge. It was the officer’s own decision and not a claim made by anyone. It in all honesty was a bias or lazy behavior on the part of the officer. However, the judge was forced to clarify the terms of Stand your ground as well as self defense, murder, manslaughter and IIRC involuntary manslaughter to avoid a mistrial. This is how and why Stand your ground was part of the trial and essentially the limits of it’s presence in the trial. The jurors reportedly spent less than an hour discussing S.Y.G. as it had little to do with anything.

• gunny1993 says:

12 Angry men is much better than a million angry idiots.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Alaric, Trayvon Martin is a criminal now? I suppose if you rewrite history it makes it easier to excuse his Murder.

George Zimmerman would have been locked up for life, for MURDER, not manslaughter in the UK Had he been white the outcome in the recent US trial would have also been very different. Everyone knows this but only a few will admit it!

23. DatonKallandor says:

I still think it’s hilarious that they’re recycling the Assassins Creed UI again after already re-using it in Tomb Raider.
    Guess making a new UI art style for every franchise is work they aren’t willing to put in.

• Yosharian says:

Yeah it has assassin’s creed written all over it, big negative IMO, hopefully it won’t be anything like those games

24. Tinus says:

How is this about networks, security, and their impact on society? The narrative context is definitely about these things, but the simulation is just about running, jumping, and shooting. It looks incredibly flawed, filled with inconsistencies.

Quick, someone send them a copy of Uplink before it’s too late.

• DrollRemark says:

Yeah it’s weird, there’s a fascinating concept on show there, and yet none of the gameplay pushed you to think much about it.

Will the victim/criminal profiling system always yield success? Is starting a dangerous car chase that ends in a serious crash (there must have been injuries) really an appropriate response to a guy hurting his ex? Why, when the last god-knows-how-many years of gaming have basically raised us to take money from whatever source we can find it, will a game that openly admits to having no disincentive to do so either, suddenly make us question our morality?

It still looks like an interesting game, but it’s not showing much of the intelligence it might think it has (or want to).

• RakeShark says:

The weakness of current trend video game storytelling is we really don’t linger around to find out the immediate or longer term impact of what we’ve done in-game.

Take that apartment with the baby for example. The presenter stole the bank account info of the single mother. The obvious reward presented is we get mommy’s money, but the consequence is only fabricated in the mind of the player. Obviously the game isn’t going to simulate days of a stressed mother trying to pay off the hospital bills of her child’s worsening infection, selling off and liquidating all she has to pay off the treatments, moving to a shelter, getting laid off, spiraling into poverty. Or maybe the bank isn’t BoA and actually audits your transaction and life goes on.

Of course, the player don’t care to wait. The event was forgotten when that damn player tried to hack his/her phone, so obviously the only course of action is to shoot that hacker in the face.

To get Molyduex on you, perhaps the second hacker was the mother.

• Wulfram says:

Clearly, we need more games like Dragon Age 2

• Disillusion3D says:

If only all games were like DA2… then dropping this time consuming gaming hobby would have been easy and I could do more productive things with my spare time ;-)

• DatonKallandor says:

I’d say the weakness of the current AAA titles is that the gameplay and the story are 100% separated.

See Uncharted or (the reboot, not the remake) Tomb Raider for prime examples.

“Oh no, I have killed a man how will I ever cope”
          *Kills a couple hundred people in gameplay*
          “Can I bring myself to kill this final boss if it means killing someone? Oh the humanity”
          *Boss throws dozens of mooks at player, they are all mercilessly and commentlessly killed*

• ffordesoon says:

This, basically.

Well, I felt Bioshock Infinite got away with it, but yeah, a lot of linear narrative games seem to be movies with some entertaining thumb-twiddling before and after every scene. Which is fine, in isolation, but as a trend, it’s got to stop.

• hemmingjay says:

Well stated good sir!

• Turkey says:

The teaser they showed before any of the footage from the actual game was amazing. It also made me think of Uplink.

25. DrollRemark says:

“You can’t hack anything until you’ve gotten control of the local CTOS station.”

*proceeds to hack several objects on his way to doing this*

• Hypnotron says:

Hacking is easy and lightning fast… it might as well be magic!

/me casts forklift of the ancients level 1 and causes a crate to fall on top of your head.

• IonTichy says:

Also, in order to create a hidden backdoor in their system, kill all guards! That’s the most logical way to avoid detection by the operating company.

Sorry, but this is simply ridiculous and lazy.

26. Turkey says:

Aiden seems like the culmination of 8 years of douchey xbox 360 protagonists.

27. rockman29 says:

Looks pretty damn boring and bland. The bland art and colours don’t help either.

28. Iskariot says:

Love it. Of course the game will not be perfect, but it will be a hell of a lot of fun.
    First day buy. You did it again UBI.

29. derbefrier says:

So they took the invasion mechanic from Dark Souls and put it in an open world environment . That will be fun and the rest of the game doesn’t look bad either. Wonder if we will be able to summon friends to help out too.

30. darkhog says:

I WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS WANT THIS

_[R3b00t iN pR0gr355...]_

31. MikeyMoo says:

Looks ok. Liked the dark-souls esque multiplayer invasion mechanic. But the game looks too shooty shooty, cover cover for me from that vid. Get rid of the combat (or most of) and lets see something interesting and perhaps even new.

32. ziusudra says:

Getting hype for a ubisoft game? John… come on…

33. ffordesoon says:

I still remember when the first Assassin’s Creed “target render” teaser came out. I remember being so excited by the possibilities implicit in the teaser I could barely breathe.

I also remember when the game came out, and was basically just the teaser trailer’s setpieces repeated for twenty hours.

So yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it, Ubisoft.

34. Disillusion3D says:

Is it possible _NOT_ to have your game invaded by other people or is that an “integral’ part of the game (always online crap disguised DRM)?

• Comrade Roe says:

They said you can indeed turn the MP component off. It also won’t be always online, though I’m not as sure about that.

35. thebigJ_A says:

I cannot fathom why anyone would look at this and have a “pleasebegoodpleasebegood” reaction.

It’s about the blandest thing I’ve seen in upcoming games this year. Hell it might be good, but I can’t find anything making it stand out from any other serious or semi-serious open-world game.

Oh, and “Hack Everything!” is just dumb.

36. RProxyOnly says:

PI.. now THERE is a movie.. and after that go watch Primer.. and after that, enjoy your stay in the booby hatch.

37. Brocktoon says:

Bloom Corp won’t bother to address server security at their facility after 5 of their employees get murdered so Tom Cruise can steal petty cash from a new mother and buy bullets to shoot at speeding cars in the middle of downtown Chicago lots of grey area we’re testing your morality I will take two AK-47s please keep the change will get more cash from this homeless veteran once I hack into his tall boy DRM.

38. whoCares says:

Little inconsistent I think.
    What’s the purpose for those dynamic covers beside giving cover to someone shooting from the roof? It should be somehow useful in real life and only misused by hacking.
    Whats the difference between Smartphone-hacking and Security-Hacking? How can I have to hack security cameras to help me hacking smartphones?

• LionsPhil says:

Because the hacking is a magical gun, and thus needs line-of-sight.

• whoCares says:

I think I did not wright it right and caused misunderstandings. I meant, how can it be possible that I can hack security cameras and stuff at restricted areas if I can not hack smartphones. The game mechanic does not make sense if I use my hacking skills to do stuff to enable my hacking skills in that area. Either I can use hacking or not, but not use hacking to enable my other (lower security(?)) hacking.

39. crinkles esq. says:

John Walker, I’m disappointed that you actually seem excited about this.

This is a vapid, cynical, made-by-spreadsheet open world game. I remember the reveal of this at the PS4 launch — the talking briskly about hacking, cameras, drones overtaking our society. Of course this was before all the NSA Snowden stuff broke, but they promised a really gritty look at the modern surveillance state. But I don’t see that at all; I see GTA with a magic smartphone deus ex machina. A game about the surveillance state, about spying abuses, SHOULD be made. But this is not it.

• hemmingjay says:

I think he is entitled to be excited about potentially great open gameplay as we all have our own metric by which we assign value. You need to work harder, Crinkles Esq., if you are to be the one opinion that matters. Perhaps some sort of liberal use of hacking could help?

40. skyturnedred says:

I just want to know what the point of it all is. You run around preventing crimes while doing crimes yourself? Does not compute.

41. Conquerbeard says:

Yay, more bullet time. Great.

42. Chaz says:

I think the most important question that’s not been asked yet is; can you change out of that awful hat and grubby coat?

43. Enkinan says:

So, many of the concepts and gameplay elements are over the top and don’t totally make sense, but it still looks pretty fun to wander around in and play. Not a first day purchase or anything, but if it is received decently I’d think about picking it up.

Some people are really hung up about the “realness” of it. It’s a game ffs.

Comment on this story