Anno What You Want: More Banished Footage

By Craig Pearson on September 5th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

A place of contemplation and frozen feet
A few months ago, Adam said he’d was keen to see more of Banished. LOOK OVER HERE, ADAM! Banished is a game of city-building, where you take a tribe of exiled folk and start over, and it looks absolutely charming. It’s about what happens when you take the scale out of urban planning. You’ll know the names and schedules of every little person pottering about your lovingly laid-out homestead. You’ll watch them get up and go about their day. You’ll mourn when Emile the Woodcutter is chopped down in his prime, but be glad that it’s Arlyle who replaced him. The video below shows developer Luke Hodorowicz planning a town expansion with the magic of agriculture.

This is a pre-industrial world, so agriculture has an effect on everything. The initial goal of boosting the town is hidden under a pile of niggles that need to be smoothed out. He has to make firewood to trade for chickens, he needs to make more workers to grow the plums to make the plum ale that the tavern will sell. By the end of the video, when some of the crops were being attacked by an infestation, it was obvious that it wasn’t going to be accomplished in the video. What a tease. Watch it and be lulled.

Looks lovely, doesn’t it? Though the developer should probably make the rain bit less grey: it’s atmospheric, but it also makes me feel like I’m looking at the screen through a sack

Via PCG.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

My first thought is that this looks like Children of the Nile, except actually playable. Maybe we’ll finally get a modern heir to the Impressions legacy.

• virginia_robinson01 says:

I just got paid $7500 working off my computer this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $8k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less. This is what I do… w­w­w.c­n­n­1­3.c­ℴ­m

2. Drinking with Skeletons says:

A) Is there combat? Because that is a feature that hurts the Anno series so, so badly. I would prefer not to have to deal with it.

B) Is there clear feedback about how many of something you need to be efficient? Because I do not like having to take a stab in the dark to figure out whether my economy is doing as good as it could be or if I’m flat-out failing to meet my town’s needs because of inadequate supplies.

• Saarlaender39 says:

Good questions!

Apart from that: Nice!…Me wants. ;)

• BTAxis says:

From what I’ve gathered, there is no combat, at least not initially. The developer said he would consider it maybe for a later time (it’s a popular request actually), but he probably wouldn’t include it in the first iteration of the game.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

Frequently requested? People are truly incomprehensible sometimes.

• Tyrmot says:

Pretty sure there is no combat for exactly the reason you say – he thought it was usually poorly-implemented and so added nothing to the game. Just put in for the sake of it oftentimes.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

Probably the best implementation I’ve seen was in Reus, and that’s because it is an entirely hands-off affair which you either discourage or allow (there are reasons for both).

And yes, I realize that Reus isn’t the best comparison, but I don’t think it’s entirely without merit.

• Kin says:

He actually said no combat in the initial release of the game. He also brought up Anno as an example of why not, mentioning he didn’t partake in combat in City Building games.

• frightlever says:

“Is there clear feedback about how many of something you need to be efficient? ”

Um, I see where you’re coming from, but wouldn’t that just end up in the game spoon-feeding you the optimal way to play?

• Rizlar says:

Yeah, the learning process probably involves many innocent lives being lost due to lack of wheat etc. Which seems preferable to just balancing numbers.

Also I like the rain. /devilsadvocate

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

My problem with Anno was that it never felt like a necessary constraint. There was already space, fertility, quantity, and trade routes (and the accompanying storage problems) to be concerned with (before factoring in other players taking control of islands), so lacking that bit of information felt like a step too far into obtuseness. Knowing that I need, say, two jewelers to support 500 nobles, and each of those requires 1 pearls and 1 gold mine, doesn’t remove the fact that I have to undertake a herculean effort to squeeze those things into my setup without something crashing down.

If this game doesn’t have so many constraints, then it could get away with some ambiguity on this front.

• Carra says:

I’m a big fan of the old Impressions game, the Tropico series and the Anno series. So I’m all in for this one :)

• ulix says:

It sure is badly implemented in Anno. That’s why I never play with any CPU players in the newer games (where you can actually choose not to have them in your game).

3. Doghaus says:

This looks delightful, I could watch those tiny rustic folk potter about their business for hours, Settlers-style.

4. Bluenose says:

Really looking forward to this. Love sandbox city builders and the lack of combat or objectives getting in the way is a big plus for me.

5. jonahcutter says:

The game seems so meditative and peaceful, the name “Banished” feels almost out of place.

Maybe “Pastoral” or “Pastures”? Something that reflects the mood more.

• Kin says:

It isn’t really peaceful though, its a survival game. There is lots of death and disaster. The game is about a small group of people banished from their home, and forced to start a new society in the wilderness.

6. gigafinger says:

Hodor-owicz!

7. rxyz says:

I had completely missed this game. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Looks like a game right up my alley.

• PsychoWedge says:

same here. I was completely unaware of this thing but it looks like something I must have. xD

• Martel says:

Same here, excited for this one now.

• shimeril says:

How the hell did I miss this? I want, I want, I want. And pretty please, no combat. Or an option so that it can be turned off if it ever comes in.

• Malibu Stacey says:

It’s being made by a solo, entirely self-funded developer making a game without resorting to the hype machine of Kickstarter that’s why.

8. SuicideKing says:

Looks so pretty, i love the concept, and i really like the fact that you don’t have to manually assign workers to stuff. Sort of like a more refined Rise of Nations, without the combat. Also love the music.

I’d love an Age of Empires-like game that looked like this.

9. Moraven says:

Side projects (while it was in the KS it was more of a sidenote, Factions) and spending time and money to market the game has given me a lot of KS fatigue. After the first year as we see here, KS has become a Marketing tool more so than kick starting new projects. I get disturbed how much time and money these KS games put into a booth at PAX and other shows. You got money to get a game complete. Not to pay your marketing budget for a game not finished yet.

Some developers say they need more to pay for art, full time employees, etc.

Some say they will develop after a unsuccessful KS. Even if it does not succeed, they still gained attention and fans.

• breaklock190 says:

While I’m not positive, I don’t believe that this was ever on Kickstarter. It’s the solo dev’s choice. On his dev blog, he gets a great deal of comments asking when it will be on KS, or how they can contribute.

10. The Random One says:

That headline pun is so bad, it should be a sim. I’m sorry to post off tropico, but I expect RPS puns to XL.

Anyway, would you like some wine? It’s a Port, y’all.

11. ts061282 says:

Add well written quests and it’s gold.

12. caff says:

Within a minute of the video, he whips his plums out.

But surely plums take many years to develop fully into ripe, juicy specimens?

• TekDragon says:

If you watched the video you’ll see all he did was place a field and assign workers.

Later he says that those trees will not produce fruit for 3-4 YEARS.

13. Jonfon says:

This looks brilliant altogether. I’ll certainly be trying this out whenever it arrives.

I am a little worried that with the solo developer the rules and interactions might end up being a little opaque and confusing (“why are my fields empty even though I’ve made them orchards” sort of thing), but it looks like he’s thinking along the same lines and trying to make the UI informative and reactive.

14. The Sombrero Kid says:

No I want to play it, right now.

15. guygodbois00 says:

This game is getting better and prettier all the time.

16. SirMonkeyWrench says:

Leather coming from cows rather than tanneries is one of my pet peeves in city building games.