Package Deal: Steam Trades Upgrades

By Craig Pearson on September 5th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Terrorism: the sign of a healthy economy
The biggest problem with the Steam trading system is that you both needed to be online at the same time. Sure, it added to the tension of the trade, and there were times when I pretended to be a high-level broker sitting across from another high-level broker and we were sweating, but that sort of pressure does tend to squeeze the bowels. Because of that, most of my Steam Trades took about an hour as each of us had to keep running off to make plopsy. Well that’s no longer a problem! The latest update allows you to send trade requests without requiring the recipient to be online at the same time. And you can now send them via the website, too. It means I can trade and strain at the same time.

The other thing (that I realise is quite annoying now that I think about) is that trades were a give-and-take scenario: you placed your items into the trade window, the other player did the same, and you have to accept the trade. For a certain ‘what have ya got?’ trade that’s fine, but if you know what you want you can now just package up an offer and send it off. Basically it’s ‘You have this and I’ll give you this for it’.

As is the way of the world, someone has detailed this on YourFaceInATube.

, , .

1. TheIronSky says:

I can’t wait to be bothered by EVERYONE ON MY FRIENDS LIST.

• Premium User Badge lasikbear says:

Do you have TF2 earbuds? Cause then you get to be bothered by at least 1 person from every multiplayer match you play for the rest of your life!

• virginia_robinson01 says:

2. Jockie says:

Steam Trading cards is basically a way for those annoying people who’d add you to beg for TF2 hats to beg you for other stuff. If there was a way to set fire to my cards in front of their very eyes, I’d do it.

• Bluenose says:

Or just sell them to silly people on the market…

• 2lab says:

I’d sell my cards but all that clicking for the odd 5p.

Trading cards are just an annoyance.

• Tiguh says:

Dunno. I’ve made more than £15 selling those little 5ps. Got 3 free games so far!

• 2lab says:

I sold some card I now have 76p in my steam account.

Soon I’ll buy this place and fire you all.

• Bluenose says:

Between TF2 items and trading cards I’ve made somewhere in the region of £100 I’d say.

• Universal Quitter says:

Stop it, guys, before we can’t tell the spam and actual comments apart.

I just got paid $7500 working off my computer this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $8k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less. This is what I do… steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/

• Premium User Badge Martel says:

Can’t you just not let them be on your friends list?

• Ac1dBuRn says:

You could just set your inventory to private, or friends only :)

• Koozer says:

I got fed up of random people adding me only to ask about my hats, so I just sold them. Now I’m sitting on £60 credit and haven’t had a friend request for weeks \o/

• Shuck says:

I get quite fed up with random people adding me presumably because they want hats or other TF2 items that I don’t even have, as I never actually play TF2.

3. Tei says:

This is perfect for people like me, awkward socially inept geeks. We don’t want to have to talk with humans!. No.. really, It feels forced to disturb a friend with a trade thingie, specially because we can’t be arsed to care enough about cards ourselves. But with this, we can snipe people if we are that bored, so we don’t have to have any human interaction.

Introverts of the world, rejoice!

4. Jerppa says:

I am the first to admit that I’m an idiot but I had no idea, what those cards are actually for.

• pilouuuu says:

I don’t get how this works either. are this cards useful in some sense? Are they fun to play with? Can someone explain what they exactly are?

• Premium User Badge darkChozo says:

A summary: every participating game has a number of cards. You can get about half of those by playing the game. If you get a full set of cards for a game (either by trading, buying them on the market, or by getting them in booster packs which are given to you very intermittently), you can craft them into a badge.

Crafting a badge gets you some stuff (profile backgrounds, steam chat emoticons, Steam store coupons) and some Steam profile XP. Increasing your Steam level gets you more friend slots (5 per level) and “showcases” for your profile (basically lets you add a predefined box that shows something off).

There’s no TCG or anything associated with the cards right now, though we’ve gotten some PR-ish “we’re looking to expand blahblahblah in the future”.

• pilouuuu says:

Thanks for the info.

It seems like a lot of nonsense in my opinion that’s not worth the hassle. It’d be much better if you could trade cards by in-game content, like Team Fortress 2 stuff or whatever. Hopefully they’ll update it for something more useful in the future.

• Derppy says:

If you don’t want cards at all, or have duplicates, throw them to the marketplace.

The prices average around 10 cents, which leaves you with 7. Pretty meaningless amount of money by itself, but sell a few and you’ll be able to grab some TF2 gun/hat, CS:GO skin or other cards.

I think the marketplace is awesome and creates a nice mini-game around Valve titles. Get a random CS:GO ultra-rare knife skin drop and you’ll be able to buy bunch of brand new triple-A titles from Steam (those things are listed for up to $200 and apprently some are crazy enough to buy them)

• Premium User Badge Maka Albarn says:

There’s one last wrinkle to this list, which is why I’ve been actually collecting the cards (at least to the extent I can without spamming people…) If you go to your badges page, and go to the trading card set for any given game, you can click on any trading card you own and Steam will open a window with a high-res image, which is what the card *really* looks like. You can copy this image and use it as a wallpaper, and in some cases the cards are actually pretty nice wallpapers (e.g. Tomb Raider, Monaco and Bastion, in my opinion)
            Then, if you have no further use for them you can still sell/trade them :)

• kalirion says:

Yup, wouldn’t you like this for your desktop at work? (might wanna check your goggles first and make sure boss/HR isn’t looking over your shoulder)

• Viroso says:

They’re jpegs that magically turn into cash. I’ve made roughly 8 dollars from jpegs + some irrelevant TF2 items. Bought Natural Selection 2 from that. For me, jpegs = natural selection 2.

5. DrollRemark says:

It means I can trade and strain at the same time.

Isn’t that why they invented the laptop?

6. PopeRatzo says:

When the word “strain” is included in the same RPS post as the word “bowels”, I know it’s probably best to avoid the whole thing. I hope that if there is a game involved in this post that it’s not one that I’m going to regret not knowing about.

7. ghling says:

If they would only allow you to get more drops by playing the games or increase the rate of booster packs. But the current system is just stupid in my eyes. Either you annoy half your friends list to get the cards you are missing, buy them on the market (which valve surely fancies as they take a cut of the transaction, for sure) or sit there with half completed badges.
    Also, I noticed you get Friend List slots when levelling up your profile. Does that mean, they have limited the number of friends you can have on your friends list, so they can justify they trading card /badges system if you want / need more? this would be really really stupid.

• Premium User Badge Martel says:

It’s always been limited, this is a way to go over that limit.

• SkittleDiddler says:

If Steam allowed an easier trade system, no one would bother to buy cards via the Market, and Valve wouldn’t get their cut of the profits. So yes, in a way, artificially limiting the friends list is a way for Valve to control the flow of the trade process.

8. somnolentsurfer says:

At the moment you still have to be friends with people in order to trade with them though, which is pretty damn silly. I’d like for this trade offers interface to be added to the ‘Items Up For Trade’ profile showcase, and for items on there to still be tradeable with anyone even if my inventory is set to friends only/private.

I reckon that’d get rid of about 90% my spam friend requests, while still letting me trade the stuff I want.

9. mescalin1 says:

so the trades took your over an hour because you kept needing the toilet?

your journalism style is odd to say the least, seriously i go through the articles on this site I am unconvinced you guys actually play videogames moreless comment on the curioius creatures that play them

10. Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

Seems like a reasonable place to ask, but can you turn off all this bollocks?

Every so often Steam tells me I’ve got something in my inventory (came as a shock the first time considering I didn’t know I had one!) and it is rather irksome.

I didn’t collect football stickers in primary school, I avoided the Pokemon phenomenon in high school and I damn well don’t want a digital equivalent poking its nose around now I’m all grown up.

Hmm, wonder when I became a grumpy old man, must put my positivity hat back on!

• jrodman says:

I would be positively *delighted* to be freed of the trading cards experience!

• The Random One says:

I’ll trade you a positivity hat (genuine). Do you have any foils for Super Accountancy Turbo 2000?

• lomaxgnome says:

Except this is the equivalent of someone dropping credit for your favorite store in your pocket. For a minimal amount of effort you can drop those “annoying cards” on the market. As plenty of other people have said in this thread, it completely financed my last steam sale. It’s pretty much the opposite of something that should be complained about.

11. bstard says:

Soon the respect for digital hats collectors will be restored. Le Louvre will be cleaned up with that smelly old Italian art and rare steam cards come on display. Imagine a place where you can see the Pyro Assplug card next to the Dino Annihilation Chemical Gas card? Humanity’s enlightment is close.

12. Dozer says:

I’m writing an irrelevant comment on a random old article to see if I have actually accidentally blocked myself from reading my own comments. Hello there!

edit: Huzzah! There was an ‘unblock’ link there. Fixed, I hope…