Assassin’s Creed 4000 Minutes Of Gameplay Footage

By Nathan Grayson on September 6th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Wait, come back! I just want to examine the Human Toes.

No, this trailer doesn’t actually contain 4000 minutes of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag footage. That would comprise the entire game, which Ubisoft has already handily hacked up into several thousand other trailers. But still, ten minutes is a pretty healthy helping even by Ubisoft trailer-every-14-seconds-to-the-point-where-I-have-yet-to-write-a-sentence-that-doesn’t-contain-the-word-trailer standards. And you know what? It actually looks kind of great. I still worry that all this icing only serves to hide a fundamentally stale cake, but time will tell. For now, HARPOONS.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel. I wonder if you can harpoon them.

Diving looks pretty cool, though, even if underwater sections in games have almost unanimously been drowned in tedium. Also, smuggler’s caves seem like a nice opportunity to test stealthing prowess (though I don’t really understand why Kenway couldn’t be arsed to just bring a knife), and naval battles are looking better than ever.

The harpoons look like harpoons.

Assassin’s Creed IV will be out in November, which is basically tomorrow. Between now and then, expect to have seen the entirety of the game and also Assassin’s Creed V, VI, VII and the inevitable MMO-MOBA-euro-truck-simulator spinoff. I am sort of interested in this one, though – perhaps if only because good pirate games have been precious few and far between. How about you?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. senbon says:

Different setting, same tedious, arcady, non-immersive gameplay – ugh. But who am I to judge, if this is what the kids want.

• BTAxis says:

Any moment now someone is going to hold up Dark Souls as the holy grail of gaming. Again.

• Bhazor says:

It kind of is though. It’s certainly better gameplay than AC has ever had. Which has always been all flash with no substance.

I really wish I could love AC with it’s avidly researched historical settings, gorgeous animation and genuinely pretty cool sci fi concept. But the bland gameplay and utterly ridiculous over arcing story line always push me away.

• gunny1993 says:

I started with Dark souls then i just moved straight onto putting a blade into my thigh.

• Vivi says:

But seeing as how this is AC(n+1), and given that none of the previous games have had any of those elements, it is a bit late to be wondering why these games are the way they are. I mean, they are up front about it, at the very least. I felt like I’d played 40% of the game six months ago.

• satsui says:

I’m okay with the tedious gameplay to an extend. Here’s what bothers me about this game:

1) If we have to switch between Pirate time era and modern era I am going to stab one of the developers. It was fine the first game to an extent, but you skip too many years and you just don’t give a crap about the modern era guy.

2) The “you need to do this to upgrade.” No. I don’t want to upgrade anything. Stop making me upgrade things. Example: You need to kill smaller targets to upgrade your ship to make it stronger and get more harpoons? Are you serious? I can’t store that many harpoons in the first place? This is really really stupid. This game is not a sandbox at all.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I find swimming in the ocean very immersive.

2. InternetBatman says:

I recently had a boatload of fun in Risen 2, so I’m interested. This looks like it lacks the sheer exuberance of Risen 2, and underwater stealth is a dumb idea.

3. PopeRatzo says:

Third-person makes me feel like I’m playing with dolls.

• Artist says:

So it feels all natural to you?? :p

• Nick says:

Or playing with awesome action figures?

• Syra says:

God, people who can only play first person games because they are bullshit words like ‘immersive’ and ‘realistic’ disgust me.

4. Kaen says:

The bad guys just love to hang around not attacking until it is their turn to be snuffed, it is so immersion breaking. Why cant i have one jumping on my back whilst i’m trying to attack another from the front?!

• Ravenholme says:

That was the source of many inglorious deaths in ACIII for me.

• Makai says:

that was the first thing to annoy me as well, it sounds TOO scripted and immersion breaking, like one of those old kung fu movies.

• S Jay says:

The well known pirate manners, of course. Would you like some tea with that brawl?

• The Random One says:

I like that. It makes the game look like an action B movie, which is what they usually are. For this particular series I don’t care if the fights feel immersive as long as they look interesting.

5. greg_ritter says:

I don’t know, those videos are working for me. I’m inclined to buy it.

6. jeffcapeshop says:

i’ve never played an AC game but the setting does appeal.. is it standard to be able to turn off all the glowing crap and popups?

• Skyblade says:

I can’t speak for this new one, but every previous game in the series has always had options allowing you to disable various different parts of the HUD.

7. S Jay says:

The ultimate power fantasy: pirate captain ninja assassin.

It is only missing space ranger and we are set.

8. BobbyDylan says:

Get rid of your stupid story (Templar pirates… jesus, what the fuck) and allow us total freedom. Let me pick my ship, my crew, my affiliate country and then we’ll have a pirate game!

• lordfrikk says:

I like AC but I would play the HELL out of sandbox-y, Sid Meier’s Pirates!-y, free-roam-y alternative of AC.

9. Mark says:

Generic comment about how i’m not interested in this and for some reason feel the need to express this about every game I don’t want to play.

• Bhazor says:

Expressing anything except unanimous praise about a game trailer? The nerve of some people.

• Mark says:

I was hardly asking for unanimous praise, how about just that less than 75% of comments are shitty whines or snarky negative comments? Go through the comments in this thread, how many of them have anything actually worth saying in them, positive or negative?

RPS used to be a place for intelligent cool discussion about PC games, it was pro PC games in general. Now in many articles it’s a fucking race to see who can foul up the comments with throwaway negative comments as fast as possible. Everyone is desperate to explain why they don’t like a particular game, trailer, for some minor reason.

It’s been invaded by people more interested in groupthink and being part of the elite kool krew of shitposters than talking about the joy of PC games.

You know those spambots talking about making $5631 per hour working from home? You could create a bot that writes most of the user comments here and it would pass totally unnoticed.

• Syra says:

Generic sarcastic comment about the right to post negative comments.

10. TJ says:

The ship combat from the last game was so polished, engaging and unique an experience that I would pay the asking price for that part of the game alone. I honestly would.

• Serpok says:

It wasn’t unique. AC’s ship battles are a sub par clone of “Sea Dogs” and “Age of Pirates” series’ naval combat.

11. Njordsk says:

GLOWING PEOPLES §

12. Artist says:

Black Flag vs POTC + Build mod. Tough nut…

13. welverin says:

I’m sort of interested, not sort of interested enough to buy a slight variation of the same game I’ve played five of the last six years. Especially since they continually fail to fix problems that have been existent since the first game.

14. realitysconcierge says:

I’ve managed to avoid watching every single black flag trailer to date, lest they convince me that I’m missing out, and I’ll not change that now!

15. kael13 says:

I haven’t finished the third, I found the combat so silly. And they haven’t even changed it here. Hmmm.

16. Muffintop says:

Poor sharks. Every time they appear in a videogame they’re mindless bloodthirsty monsters whose sole purpose in life to devour the player character. This perpetuates the stereotype made infamous by Jaws that sharks are hideous man-eating monsters who should all be hunted down and exterminated before they eat all the beach goers. How many poor, innocent sharks have lost their lives because of such misguided views? How many species are close to being wiped out entirely due mans barbarism? Forget sexism, sharkism is the cause gamers should rallying against.

Vive la shark!

17. racccoon says:

Don’t know why but I see a copy in this game.

18. zin33 says:

how many assassins creed games need to come out before they fix the combat? seriously, its one of the most silly “combat systems” ive ever seen, where, even if you have 100 guys attacking you youll still do fine because they will take turns apparently and will never even try to hit you while youre doing a counter attack or any one of those “special moves”
    i cant believe i never see anyone complain about this
    it kinda kills the immersion the fact that running away from 10 guys is actually harder than just killing them

19. SirMonkeyWrench says:

Is it just me or are all of Ubisofts franchises slowly becoming one game?

• Chaz says:

You know I was just going to say something along those lines too. I just finished Far Cry 3 the other day, and for the most part I was not very impressed. Aside from the actual main missions, which were good fun it has to be said, nearly everything else felt derived from the AC games. In that sense I thought FC2 was a much better game, as at least it had its own sense of identity.

It wouldn’t be so bad if these side quests and diversions were actually fun and interesting to do. However finding relics and opening chests is bloody dull, especially given how pointless the activity actually is. What does collecting flags in the AC games or finding relics in FC3 actually do for you? Nothing as far as I can tell. It’s just filler for achievement whores. It wouldn’t be so bad, but this stuff makes up the bulk of the games.

I decided early on in FC3 that the only thing worth bothering with were the main missions of course, the radio towers by necessity of needing to revel the map; and taking down the outposts. Everything else was pretty much junk filler that smacked of mediocrity. The poor hunting quests I only did up until the point I had fulfilled the crude crafting requirements to open all my equipment slots.

I can’t believe that with the huge teams that must be working on these games, that the best side content they could come up with are these dull unimaginative features, most of which have been pulled from their other games and recycled over and over again.

It’s about time Ubi wiped the slate clean with these franchises and came up with some fresh ideas to set them apart again.

• Jimbo says:

This is becoming a real problem for them I think. It’s ok once or twice, but there’s only so many times you want to run around a map clearing it of pointless side-activity icons.

I’m a fan of AC2, Brotherhood and Far Cry 2 but with the more recent installments they’ve stopped concentrating on the core gameplay and story and instead seem to be focusing on getting as much padding and unlock bullshit as possible into their games. It’s even the focus of their marketing now – ‘Look at how many shitty mini-games we have!’

I think what they should have done is spin the naval combat from AC3 off into its own piratey franchise. Maybe throw a storyline in there, but allow you to just go off and make your way in a living, breathing Caribbean (so kind of a Freelancer structure, but pirates). AC could then have gone back towards AC2/Brotherhood era city-based AC, and then there’d be sufficient difference between AC franchise and Piratey franchise to warrant making both.

20. Imbecile says:

Assassins creed: All Icing – no cake.

21. Chufty says:

Oh yay another trailer.

Do we need these ‘articles’?