Tale Of Tales Teases An Empty World

By Jim Rossignol on September 6th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Tale Of Tales – whose Auriea Harvey featured in the first installment of our new Level With Me series – have teased a new game called An Empty World. It’s got a duck in. Possibly many ducks.

It’s odd. See below.

, .

1. Bull0 says:

As with all teasers, it tells you essentially nothing and has little to no value. I don’t know why indies would waste their time with a teaser. We shrug when the big studios do it, even though we know they’re doing it because eleventy million kids are going to add call of duty 9 to their christmas list based on five seconds of helicopter-borne cigar and moustache action.

*edit* I guess that’s not fair, since it told us the names of all the people working on it. The fact that I don’t know who they are or what they’ve done isn’t their fault.

• gunny1993 says:

Simple brand awareness; whether it works or not is a question that can only be answered by years of data gathering and analysis.

Jackablade says:

It’s Tale of Tale – the video games industry’s answer to interpretive dance. You’re probably not going to get a hell of a lot more sensical information out of a longer trailer. Or the final game for that matter.

Still, weird abstract duck simulator sounds somewhat intriguing at least.

• Shadowcat says:

I’d say it fits the bill

Gap Gen says:

I’m going out on a limb and say that it’s like Shelter, but with ducks and the sort of thing that resonates with me on a Friday morning when I’ve chronically underslept all week.

• Ross Angus says:

Are you suggesting this trailer isn’t all it’s quacked up to be?

Gap Gen says:

Stop ducking the issue. That’s just an old canard spread by the haters and you know it.

• GameCat says:

Quacked? You mean it’s gonna be FDS (first duck shooter) game? With deathmatch and capture the pond?

• RagingLion says:

It gets the name out there. It means 6-12 months later when there is more to share on this, some people will go “huh, oh yeah, I remember hearing about that” and then might read a preview/interview that they wouldn’t have otherwise – because of that familiarity.

If we can accept that’s all this kind of initial showing sometimes is and move on, I think that’d be best. No reason to cast judgement around on something that’s fairly reasonable and minor.

• The Random One says:

Yeah. The scores of twelve-year-old that preorder CoD based on five seconds’ worth of wub wub are going to buy it anyway. But ToT probably hardly have a marketing budget, and a good deal of their target demographic doesn’t check game news daily. Any little thing they can do to get the press to drop a line about them can later translate into a person thinking they’ll maybe buy the game when it comes out, and when you’re a tiny indie outfit you need those sales.

2. GameCat says:

I thought that Michael Samyn said few months ago that he will never make another game.

• Reverend Speed says:

In fairness, the teaser doesn’t say it’s a game. And it might not be a game! It might be a short movie or something.

Or it might be a not-game.

Or it might not be a not-game.

It might not be a teaser for a short not-movie of their not-game.

…Ducks!

I’m going to lie down for a bit.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

There are no not-games. The point of the category notgames is that it is by definition something which does not exist. It is more of a pointed reaction to the responses one gets that your work is ‘not games’.

We sometimes joke the only thing which ‘we in notgames’ can agree upon is that ‘notgames’ is a very bad description for anything. Although we cannot agree upon that statement, or that there is a ‘we’ at all.

• GameCat says:

Uhm, “A new videogame by”. These little cute duck bastards sure are distraction.

Anthile says:

I imagine people will flock to this.

4. Shadowcat says:

And now, an all new episode of “‘Lards and ‘Lardies”, brought to you in part by Aesir Corporation.

[Music plays]

Mallardy…

Mallard?

Mallardy, there is a matter of great importance I must bring to your attention.

Mallard, there is?

Indeed, mallardy, there is indeed. From the very first moment we met, upon that distant forest path, there’s been sunlight in the autumn leaves, blazing like the colors of your hair.

Oh mallard, you should not speak so.

But mallardy, I must, I must.

Mallard, no, I forbid you. This cannot be, this must not be.

But why, my love, why?

Mallard, it is too dreadful. Do not force me to speak the words.

Mallardy, I beg of you, I must know. I would rather die than not know.

Yes, mallard, we should both be dead, for the shame is too great for the living. Mallard… I am-….. Mallard, I am your long-lost sister.

[Music plays]

5. frightlever says:

Tale of Tales? Odd? Shocking.

I like’em.

yhancik says:

and the design is by Meomi so I expect cuuuuutenessssss ^_^

7. SuicideKing says:

Cute duck. Also, weed.

8. imhotep says:

Looks like it has a cool level system for becoming a swan.