Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie 2 Is Happening For Some Reason

By Nathan Grayson on September 7th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Did you miss me? Did you even have *time* to miss me?

You might remember that John tried out a little bit of Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army a while back. And by “a bit,” I mean “a bit over half an hour.” Then he quit playing forever, tore out his own brain stem, and offered it as a chew toy for a pack of encroaching, maggot-riddled undead mongrels. Such were the depths of his loathing for Rebellion’s not-particularly-rebellious spin-off. So of course the developer’s making another. Naturally. It’ll be out this year, because why not release a sequel months after the obviously rushed original? Maybe it’ll be a little better this time? Somehow? We can only hope.

Eurogamer received the news straight from Rebellion, who boasted of an even more “hellish” experience. I doubt they understood the double meaning.

“We really wanted to heighten the demonic, nightmarish tones of the first game. The environments, the levels, the soundtrack all give a strong feeling of descent – each encounter, each level becoming progressively more hellish. Most importantly though, we’ve expanded the legions of Nazi undead with some really intimidating new enemies which we’ll reveal soon.”

So no real fundamental changes. Just more stuff. I suppose that’s pretty good news if you liked the original.

I get the impression, however, that very few people really enjoyed it, but I guess it sold well. Its title is essentially “Videogame: The Videogame Of Videogames,” so maybe that contributed? I don’t know. Is anyone excited about this? Anyone at all? Have you looked in the mirror recently? Are you absolutely certain you exist?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. nrvsNRG says:

I recently played the first one with 3 friends and all of us thoroughly enjoyed it. We finished the whole campaign in one sitting and will definately try it again.

• John Mirra says:

Same here.

• salena012 says:

my co-worker’s mother makes $67/hr on the laptop. She has been out of a job for five months but last month her paycheck was $15348 just working on the laptop for a few hours. description>>>>>>>>>>http://goo.gl/G40gh3

• Lim-Dul says:

To quote TotalBiscuit: “Everything is better with friends.”

That doesn’t mean the game is good to begin with or offers any interesting co-op mechanics (Like, say, Killing Floor.).

• bit_crusherrr says:

“You aren’t having real fun you just think you are! Can’t you see you aren’t really have fun?”

• MarcP says:

You can have fun playing a bad game. It doesn’t make the game good.

It’s OK to have fun playing bad games, too. No need to be insecure about it.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Did they enjoy it? Then it was a good game to them. Your subjective opinion isn’t objective fact.

• ConnieCarson03 says:

I’m making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do…

W­W­W.C­N­N­1­3.ℂ­O­M

• jonahcutter says:

To quote Total Biscuit: “I don’t do reviews. I do impressions.”
        Translation: I hide behind doing “impressions”, so I don’t have to have any accountability.

Point being, he’s a douche who didn’t even play the coop before declaring he despised anyone who would dare to like it.

• jezcentral says:

I like TotalBiscuit, but I have to agree with you about the lack of accountability. Back when the Defiance-tweet-for-a-PS3 hit the fan, he said it was okay for him to get Planetside favours from SOE because he doesn’t “review” games. Disappointing.Like no-one buys games because of him. (Like me buying Frozen Synapse, eh?)

He gave a list of people who he thought should keep their nose clean and, would you believe it, that list didn’t include him.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I like TB a lot, and I think he usually makes good points, but I’m not going to lockstep with his opinion, and I thought his opinion of NZA was tainted before he even started playing. He hated the game before he even started it and, after only playing in singleplayer, declared it to be a shit game. Yeah, well, I can play DOTA2 by myself with bots, and it’s going to be a plenty bland and shitty time. I can play L4D2 SP as well, and it’s going to be pretty terrible.

Fact is, ANY MULTIPLAYER-ORIENTED GAME IS GOING TO BE TERRIBLE BY YOURSELF. This is because the game mechanics, even if they don’t entirely enforce the need for multiplayer, are still designed around the notion of multiplayer. IMO, this is like complaining that WoW is a terrible game because it’s boring without other people. Hell, Payday 2 does a pretty good job of necessitating co-op, but that game is also terrible in singleplayer. The logic behind TB’s position on this is so lazy and asinine that it’s mind-boggling that anyone would be proud to trumpet it, let alone adopt it.

When TB throws personal insults at people that like a game that he doesn’t, he needs to realize he’s acting like a pious fuckwit. Don’t like NZA? Fine. Think Zombies are overdone? Fine. But don’t go around saying those who do like zombie games and movies are riding a bandwagon or insult their intelligence. I think CS:S and CS:GO are dumb and shitty games. Doesn’t mean I’m going to say that their fans are dumb and shitty people with zero taste simply because they like a game that I do not.

• Gua says:

Didn’t liked Killing floor. Unexpectedly really liked Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie.

• Vandelay says:

Can’t speak for this game, but he is completely right when it comes to 90% of co-op games. Very few actually offer any mechanics that require additional people, except for an obligatory revive button.

Instead of having a good time with the game, you are normally just having a good time with your friends, you just happen to be in a game while you are doing it.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Is that a bad thing? I agree that most co-op games do a very poor job of justifying co-op, but surely it’s better that they are there? Even if many of the features don’t justify co-op, isn’t it nice that there are at least co-op-oriented games being made, rather than just a bevy of CoD clones with arena-style deathmatch?

• mooken says:

I’m also in the “thoroughly enjoyed it with friends” camp.
      I liked that there was no grinding for weapon upgrades, which seems to be a crutch to extend playtime. Was very happy just paying $3.50 for this game, as part of the Steam Summer Sale.

• Jack Mack says:

I recently sat at a bus stop with 3 friends and all of us had a fantastic time. Highly recommended.

• Hanban says:

After reading your comment I went to sit at a rest stop and had no fun at all. WHAT GIVES!?

• taylordcraig says:

You had to have been doing something else at the bus stop, and it would have to have been much more comfortable than the bus stops around my city.

• mooken says:

It managed to get the Romero-style slow-but-overwhelming-hordes just right, which was something missing from L4D1/2. I would have been alright without the special zombies (exploders/snipers/machinegunners) and skeletons though.

• Necroscope says:

Definitely buying the second. The first was great value for money. Love the tense shoot-outs and emplying the team-tactics needed to survive

2. kamaon says:

For full price? Hell no, but on a sale and with a friend sure why not. Would like some more bullet cam in co-op tho.

3. Shooop says:

It’s times like these I wonder if I actually hate video games.

Who the everloving fuck bought that game?!

• Smashington says:

*gasp* people that have different taste in games than you! Surely it’s impossible! You only like the good games and everything else is terrible!

• bstard says:

Me, four times. Played it once co-op which was nice. Never touched it again though. Never will. I prolly will play part 2 as well.

• Lycistus says:

I bought 4 packs of both the first and second on sale.

4. Don Reba says:

I’m absolutely stoked for this game. Now that you bring it up, however, I have given up looking in the mirror a long time ago. It just never works for me, for some reason.

5. appropriate touching says:

Yeah, I enjoyed it enough to buy a sequel (on sale), though I’d much rather have a fully developed one with better co-op mechanics, proper sniping over Arma-type distances, etc etc. The kill-cam is embarassingly tacky but it does serve some purposes: it’s very strong feedback and it adds a lot to the variety of the pacing.

6. SirKicksalot says:

It’s a gory, atmospheric, beautiful and satisfying shooter which gets the slow Romero hordes right and has Carpenter-style music.
    People who hate shooters because they’re shooters will hate this game. People who don’t mind simple entertainment will like it.
    Perhaps RPS should hire someone who enjoys the simple pleasures of life and have him look at games like Nazi Zombie Army. At least he would acknowledge the game’s qualities instead of being a snarky fuck.

• sinister agent says:

Oh please. Let’s not pretend that criticising a game for being an utterly, blandly mediocre shooter in a time where there are tends of thousands of them means you plain don’t like the genre. RPS recommends shooters all the time – Far Cry 3 was their game of last year, and their review of the last Call of Juarez game glowed so much it could have been powering a reactor.

There’s “simple entertainment”, and then there’s by-the-numbers pointlessness. The same way there’s a fattening but tasty burger, and then there’s a burger mashed up into cold grey sludge.

• Lycistus says:

Ever had a McBlend? It’s where you take a big mac meal and a milkshake home, put it in a blender (fries, buger, and shake) and drink it like a protein shake, it’s better than you’d think. I found SE:NZA to be like this. So I discount your burger metaphor.

7. jonahcutter says:

I had a good time in the coop. Interestingly, the traps and things were generally far more useful in the zombie co-op than in the normal singleplayer.

The atmosphere is actually pretty good. Summons up a fun, schlocky, 80′s, occult vibe. And if you like Sniper Elite’s sniping-baddies-in-the-head gameplay, then you should be happy because you’re served up a mega-dose of it.

8. strangeloup says:

For those who fancy giving the first one a shot (to the head), Steam currently has it on special offer for the next 48 hours or so, at a mere £3, or get four copies for £9 — essentially getting one free — and play co-op.

9. InsuranceSalesman says:

I’m going to admit it – despite it’s numerous flaws, I really enjoyed Nazi Zombie Army with 2 friends. The most important part of any zombie game, the zombies themselves, were great – they were freaky as hell, moved slowly (like true Romero-style zombies), were hard to kill and came in massive hordes that made us go “Oh shit” in a way no other game has. Even Left 4 Dead failed on this front – while it had fairly large groups, they moved so quickly and died so easily that it felt almost effortless, like cutting through butter. The shooting mechanics were good as well – as strange as it seems, a sniping game’s mechanics worked well in allowing the player to pick off the horde at range while making close-quarters fighting doable yet difficult and scary to engage in. And the levels had an incredible vibe that really made you feel like you were in hell – German radio operators screaming for salvation, a dead city, occult symbols everywhere. It was schlocky, but it worked.

That said, I wouldn’t buy it unless it was on sale for a pretty low price. The mechanics themselves are really fun and the different zombie types are cool to fight against (the sniper zombies were especially good), but there is one big problem that drags it down – there isn’t enough variety. The first level is pretty fun to fight through, since over the course of it you get introduced to many different enemy types, but then you realize that these enemies are all the game has to offer. And the game basically has two objectives throughout – get to a place while killing zombies, or hold a place against a zombie horde. And of course the online parts aren’t well-though out – there’s no joining mid-game in multiplayer, and the levels are probably a little long for playing through in one go.

So yeah, it’s flawed, but I liked it. If they can fix the issues in a full game (rather than the limited DLC it released as) then I’ll buy it.

10. Monkeh says:

I hate how a different writer from RPS (who probably hasn’t played the original AT ALL) just goes on talking negative about this announcement, because one of the other writers didn’t like the original.

That WIT was already pathetic, especially since he admitted only having played for half an hour with bots (great job, that’s like reviewing Payday 2 with bots, which would also suck even though it’s great with actual people).

This is far from a fantastic game btw, but it’s not nearly as terrible as RPS is trying to make it out to be, just because they were too lazy to actually play the game.

• jrodman says:

So you’re upset that the reviewers didn’t spend enough time playing a bad game, and described its badness accurately but not quite as completely or with as much nuance as you would appreciate?

I must have different priorities, because I would rather reviewers spend more of their time playing games that are worthwhile, and writing about those with more energy and nuance.

• RiptoR says:

Isn’t it a reviewer’s job to thouroughly test all mechanics of a game before declaring it bad or good? Half an hour is not long enough to see if a game will be good or not. I would have missed out on quite a few very good games if I only looked at the first half hour of gameplay.

True, this is not always the case, but even if I decide after half an hour that I will not like the game, then I surely won’t declare it “bad” and tell others not to buy it because I myself didn’t like the first half hour enough to continue playing.

For example, I don’t like RTS games, but that doesn’t make me declare them bad games. I completely understand that other gamers truly enjoy playing those. And I certainly don’t go out of my way to declare gamers that do like them to be “stupid/dumb/moronic” (like TotalBiscuit did in his “impressions”). Or say that those people surely can’t exist (like this article does).

• exy_ says:

Agreed.

• shadybearfaced says:

there’s a difference between not liking a game and a game being objectively unoriginal and bland. however a game being unoriginal and bland doesn’t stop people from enjoying it so whatever.

• jrodman says:

No, that’s not a reviewer’s job.

• Monkeh says:

For one, I’m not upset, just dislike the way RPS is handling this. Second, IMO they just shouldn’t do a WIT/post news at all about games they’re too prejudiced to give a fair chance. It’s not like RPS posts about every game releasing on PC, might as well not report on this one as well, especially if you’re just going to be a dick about it.

“Oh another zombie game, let’s just say it’s terrible and move on”

11. taylordcraig says:

I’ve only played with strangers online, and still had a good time. I normally don’t enjoy FPS and I’m as sick of zombies as anyone else; just saying.

12. Rothkildam says:

Man, those zombies games are boring me to death.

13. Zogtee says:

I don’t know which is the most depressing, that the Sniper Elite franchise takes yet another kick in the balls (it used to be a respectable game) or that people here actually buy and play this shite.

14. DeadlyFred says:

So what was so bad about Nazi Zombie Army, exactly? It’s a spinoff of Sniper V2 where you shoot many zombies… what’s wrong with that? I enjoyed it, was actually hoping there would be more levels released but a sequel works just as well.