The RPS Bargain Bucket: Towers of Rock

By Lewie Procter on September 7th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

It’s that bit of the week where there’s a load of games discounted from all the different retailers across the internet, and as usual I’ve done that handy thing where I check everywhere for the best deals, and give you a summary of the highlights. If the selection here isn’t enough for you, keep an eye on the always up to date SavyGamer.co.uk.

Adventures of Shuggy – Pay What You Want
Choose whatever price you see fit for this really polished platform. Here’s wot John thought:

Pleasingly not using retro-pixels, it presents a very clear, clean 2D world with cute cartoon detail. The enemies all manage to be appealing and threatening at the same time, and Shuggy himself is just adorable. Lovely details like how a level’s characters explode into green blobs when you fail – except for Shuggy who shatters into a cloud of bats – add a great deal, especially when it all happens in reverse as a level is reset.

More here.

Batman: Arkham Origins – £23.99
Apply coupon “GFDSEP20UK”. Registers on Steam.
The new Batman for relatively cheap. I’m really looking forward to this new adventure, where the caped crusader has vanquished his most nefarious foe. Not Bane, not The Penguin, not even The Joker. His most demented and psychotic enemy from the last two Arkham Games, Games For Windows Live, has finally been banished from Gotham City. I am a little worried about this new game, though. The last two games have been solid, but I think something was lost in the transition from claustrophobic tight spaces in Asylum to a big semi-open world in City, and that’s the direction that Origins seems set to continue in. What do we reckon? Will it be Bat-awesome or will it be a Bat-disappointment?

Tiny and Big: Grandpa’s Leftovers – £1.74/€2.49/$2.49
This game is almost amazing, although a couple of frustrations hold it back from being as good as it could be. At this price, you should all give it a try, but John nails the problems with it in his write up:

It’s a pretty short game, maybe four hours, but only £7/$10ish, and just restarting and chopping down vast towers of rock in the opening level is making me happy. If this could only have truly been a sandbox game it would certainly be something utterly extraordinary. As it is, in quite confined levels, it too often forgets its own strengths and inhibits you as you play. And worse, so punishingly kills you and takes away your fun progress. Doing it the second time is never nearly so entertaining. Yet it’s utterly beautiful, often very funny, and so bursting with charm. So damned close.

MirrorMoon EP – £5.75/€6.82/$8.99
Like some crazy beautiful sci-fi game from far off in the future, or some message from a distant alien civilisation, I’m not sure exactly what MirrorMoon is. What I do know is that I’ve never seen anything quite like it before. It’s somehow at the same time incredibly intricate, and remarkably simple. I want you to all join in playing it, so that we can perhaps together learn to understand it.

Deal of the week
Civilization V, Gods and Kings, Brave New World & All DLC – £13.60/€19.03/$21.75
Apply coupon “GMG20-8MUTY-M21VN”. Registers on Steam.
All of Civ5 so far. I would hesitate calling this “Complete”, since no doubt those cheeky monkeys over at Firaxis are busy working on another expansion at this very moment. These things usually come in threes, yes? Here you are getting a whole lot of game for your money, and Civ5 is the most polished Civilization to date. Here’ wot Alec made of the vanilla game, and here’s wot Adam thought of Gods And Kings & Brave New World.

Also of note:
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs – £8.11/€9.98/$12.48. Apply coupon “SQUEAL-LIKE-A-PIG”.
The A.Typical RPG & Will Fight for Food – 98p
FEZ – £3.49/€4.99/$4.99
NeonXSZ – £6.49/€7.49/$9.99
Final Fantasy VII – £5.35. Apply coupon “GFDSEP20UK”. Registers on Steam.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed – £3.83/€4.54/$5.99. Registers on Steam.
A Valley Without Wind, A Valley Without Wind 2, AI War: Fleet Command & Tidalis – Pay What You Want. Pay more than the average to also get Shattered Haven & Skyward Collapse. Registers on Steam.

Please be visiting SavyGamer.co.uk for all your discount gaming needs.

__________________

« | »

1. slerbal says:

Do you know if the Gamolith offer on A Machine For Pigs is a Steam Key? Also I’ve not heard of Gamolith before – anyone used them?

• Triplanetary says:

The page says “DRM Free,” so no, I’m assuming it is not a Steam key.

• salena012 says:

my co-worker’s mother makes $67/hr on the laptop. She has been out of a job for five months but last month her paycheck was $15348 just working on the laptop for a few hours. description>>>>>>>>>>http://goo.gl/G40gh3

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

My co-workers mother would pop a cap in yer ass as soon as look at you, don’t mess!!

Edit: got some nice reducedties at Sainsburys tonight, other supermarkets are available!

• mechabuddha says:

Coming from the US, the Gamolith price is the exact same discount that’s on Steam right now – 20% off.

• Bishop says:

I went to college with one of the co-founders of Gamolith, which has nothing to do with whether it’ll work on Steam or not. They’re nice guys though.

• sirhchos says:

As Co-Founder of Gameolith, it is DRM free unless stated that the version comes with a steam key.

I’m curious…Who are you, Bishop?

2. Triplanetary says:

Uh, no. Civ3 had two expansions – Play the World and Conquests. And Civ4 had two expansions – Warlords and Beyond the Sword.

As such, I basically tend to view Brave New World as the finishing touch on Civ5 (not counting patches, obviously, which for Civ can admittedly be pretty major). Obviously I could be wrong about that, but at least I’m basing it on past iterations of the series rather than nonsense.

3. Arvind says:

Hey all,
    I’m the developer of Will Fight for Food and A.Typical RPG, let me know if you have any questions! (Oh, and I’m also making Unrest in case you’re interested in RPGs in ancient India)

Arvind

4. Lycan says:

Also of note: Lord of the Rings: War in the North for $4.99 on Steam. I was hoping it would get mentioned in the Bargain Bucket so I could get a link to a WIT (I’ve alread picked it up). The closest thing I could find on RPS was an “Impressions” which was based on the OnLive Demo and another demo of 1 level late in the game – the latter must have been behind-closed-doors by the developers, if I’ve read correctly between the lines. Pretty pleeeeeeease, can we get a WIT ? After RPS’ WIT sold me on the GoT RPG and I’m now finding it thoroughly enjoyable, I desperately want to know the RPS verdict on LOTR:WITN :P

• Lycan says:

Whoops – just checked and the deal is no longer running.

*weak impression of Percy reading the evil spy’s letter in the finale of Blackadder the II*:

“apollo-geez for ze inkonveeniyens”

• Triplanetary says:

I can give you my impressions of it: It’s a reasonably fun action game. I got it on sale at Target for $20 a year or two ago, and I’d say it was worth that much. So it’s certainly worth $5 (too bad you missed the sale ^_^).

5. SkittleDiddler says:

Driftmoon, a fantastic little Ultima-style RPG, is on sale for $7.49 at Amazon right now. Actually, there’s a price mismatch involved that’s supposedly in the process of being corrected — the “Late Summer Deals” tab shows the game at $7.49, but clicking on the link reverts the price back to its original full amount. Just contact Amazon support and they’ll give you the discount. Obviously don’t contact their support if you’re a Euro and you’re using a fake US address. Duh.

Also, Dark Souls for $7.49.

6. pertusaria says:

Adventures of Shuggy is really good, although I’m unlikely ever to finish it, as the timing gets frustratingly precise quite early on. (I’m not the world’s greatest platform-game-player.) I’m still glad I bought it.

Driftmoon is lovely. It’s a relatively short (10 hours or so?) RPG or RPG-like (depending on how strictly you define these things). It’s real-time and you don’t get to choose your character, which I know are dealbreakers for some people. It has a good sense of humour and plenty of exploration.

Anodyne is 50% off from the devs and on Steam – the devs give a Steam key and a Humble download, so there’s no reason not to go with that option unless Steam is cheaper in whatever currency you’re using. The offer lasts another three days or so. I’ve barely started it, but if you like 2D Zelda-alikes, it’s probably worth a go.

7. Skabooga says:

This is the first time I’ve consciously seen MIrrorMoon, and I like what I see. Has anyone played it yet? Any thoughts on it?

• trjp says:

I watched a video and it uses the same background music I used in one of my apps (from freesound.org – things like that happen) – which freaked me out SO MUCH I’m not sure where to go from there ;)

8. Bobtree says:

Men of War series on Steam for $3: http://www.bundlestars.com/

The Arcen Games bundle includes all the DLC as well.

9. sinister agent says:

Tiny and Big is terrific, and as a bonus, has a bloody excellent soundtrack. If you can’t get £2 of enjoyment out of it, you are clearly a robot cyborg from the future sent back to destroy all fun.

That Arcen bundle is a bit annoying, as I bought the last one thinking it included Skyward Collapse, when it was actually Shattered Haven, and I’d just got the names confused.

Still a great deal though, mind. One day I will finish a game of AI War. One day.

10. selkcip says:

Not sure about the region (may only be US), but Bioshock Infinite is $16 on NewEgg.

11. JiminyJickers says:

I’m keen to try the Civ V pack. Does it come with individual keys? I already have Civ V and the First expansion.

Will registering the key from Green Man just ad the bits I’m missing?

• Pixy Misa says:

You get two keys (I just tried it). One for Civ V Gold, the other for Brave New World. Unfortunately they’re not labelled; in my case Brave New World was the first one, and I guessed wrong and wasted the Civ V key (I think I already had all the other add-ons from a previous sale).

Still more than 50% off the price of Brave New World by itself.

12. Boomsta says:

Don’t know if anyone else cares, but Divinity II: Director’s Cut is $5 on Steam this weekend. I’ve been keeping an eye out for it to hit this price, so I believe this is the cheapest it’s been yet.

• Aaax says:

I remember playing it for few hours as a mage and getting bored of mmo combat mechanics where most of the time you wait for mana bar to refill only to press 1 or 2 button again. Was I doing something wrong?

13. Guvornator says:

Gamefly has a decent RPG sale on. I picked up Torchlight 2 for £3.75, although the first one is more expensive (?). Also, for some reason they have a phone based authentication system, which was slightly weird. Still, haven’t had any issues with it. http://digital.gamefly.co.uk/#!/promotion/404

14. Arcadia says:

You can get the wonderful Saira, and the arguably even more wonderful Knytt Underground in the current Indie Gala. The other games in there don’t look that good though.

15. Donncha O Caoimh says:

That’s a really good price for the new Batman game but I haven’t even finished the second one yet and my backlog came calling asking, “Why do you need yet another game? There’ll be a couple of Humble Bundles between here and the end of October too.”

Comment on this story