Battleforge Soon To Be No More

By Jim Rossignol on September 9th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

I rather enjoyed deck-based RTS Battleforge, but – I suppose, given today’s news, like most people – I didn’t spend much time with after those early weeks. I have to say I’d all but forgotten about it until I heard the news that it’s being shut down: “The decision to retire older games is never easy. We hope you’ve enjoyed playing BattleForge as much as we enjoyed making it and we wish to extend our sincerest thanks to all of our passionate and dedicated players for supporting BattleForge over the past 4 years. Those of you who still have a balance of in-game currency are encouraged to spend it before the game is shut down on October 31st and is no longer available for play.”

Seems it was so destined, but :(

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

DragonOfTime says:

The really annoying part of this is that back when EA closed Phenomic in July, they said that they were looking for a new studio to take care of Battleforge and had no plans to shut it down.

I guess this was inevitable.

2. florus says:

Recently I commented to a friend that it was a shame they never made a single-player offline version of BattleForge. It was the most fun if you went through one of the story based single player mission in my opinion. Never really liked the co-op or multiplayer aspect of it since it would take a very long time for any one side to win the map. This resulted in boring matches which would demotivate people to stay in the game long enough to see it though. Hopefully they will release the client/server code so the community can remake this as a fully single player game.

DragonOfTime says:

If you go by what is written on the forums, this is quite unlikely, though the community is fighting for it.

3. Engloutie says:

I had a really good time with it! Too bad its business model stood in the way of its success, so we’re not going to see a sequel. :(

4. Oryon says:

Would’ve been too hard to have this not require an online connection and be playable on LAN or direct IP or something, eh?

It’s not often i’m left with a useless box ‘n disc of something.

Good job EA.

5. Derppy says:

Damn.

Got to admit I forgot about the game as well, but I thought it was fantastic when I played it and this made me want to go back to it so badly.

It was one of the few RTS games where I felt even a little competitive, because it lacked a lot of the macro-aspects and didn’t punish you for tunnel-vision. No need to build a base and worry about constant worker production, supply caps, unit production facilities and such while fighting across the map.

You simply capture points to get resources and summon units you need, floating resources and using minimal units was actually a good thing, because then you could instantly react to whatever the enemy is throwing at you. Like summon a meteor shower and dragon to the field without any sort of building time or requirements other than map control.

Deck building was interesting, you could do a ton of optimization and luck wasn’t a factor at all. In the deck building menu you could just spawn units and see how their abilities work, how well they match against other units and so on.

I have no idea why the game never got really popular and has now died. I guess there’s not enough depth to skilled RTS/TCG players or something, but it’s a real shame. I’d buy a sequel in a heartbeat.

6. MeestaNob says:

EA is killing off a game you say? GETTHEFUCKOUTTAHEREIDONTBELIEVEIT.

7. misterT0AST says:

It was a nice game with a horrible meta and interface. I really enjoyed the games I actually managed to play.

8. MasterDex says:

This is one of those games I forgot I even had. I played it quite a bit when it first came out and I loved – and still do love – the concept they put forward.

Shame it’s being dropped but then again, it is EA. If anything, I’m surprised it hadn’t happened sooner

9. Dominic White says:

Echoing what a lot of people have said here: Battleforge was a genuinely good game that got completely ignored by everyone. Well, it did okay in Germany, but nobody cares about them. It even had a lot of good singleplayer/co-op content, and was pretty clever PvP-wise as well.

It was a genuinely good MMO, had some fun CCG elements, and the business model was even pretty fair once they rejigged things and made boosters cheaper.

And then EA goes and shuts down the studio and kills the game off not long after. Just let the community run it, dammit! There is one (in Germany), and if they ran it as freeware and just give out BFBucks as rewards for mission completion.

10. malkav11 says:

What bothers me most about this is that it’s almost certainly unnecessary. If it had been made and run by some dinky little indie company somewhere and they had folded, that would be one thing. But this is EA. Surely they could afford to have a few servers running in some closet someplace, if nothing else. It’s not like it’s a game that had all of its revenue in up front purchases.

And unlike a lot of the games EA shuts off, there’s no sequel or potentially competing product that they’d like you to turn to instead.

DragonOfTime says:

Well, there IS the upcoming Command and Conquer game…

• MasterDex says:

It’s because this is EA and not some dinky indie studio that this is happening. The small studio could justify keeping a loss/non-profit making game on the books but a corporation like EA can’t because they have shareholders to answer to.

Let’s look at it from a cost point of view. You’ve got a game with a pretty small community spread around the world. This means a network infrastructure involving more than a single server in multiple data centres. This, in turn, means multiple points of maintenance and administration which means extra hours paid for labour and extra time spent doing the aforementioned maintenance and administration.

Sooner or later, we’re going to have to accept that the big dogs like EA, etc aren’t always going to be happy to keep a project on their books that isn’t making them anything. I didn’t even take in the extra cost of support that would be expected in such a case.

11. AgeofHock says:

I liked Battleforge always played with 2 or more ppl this was the best Strategy Game for me, so much tactics realy nice coop and Singleplayer campaign and the PVP was AWESOME ! EA OMG what ARE U DOING ! Everytime i get a realy nice game from EA they let it die like Spore realy awesome… it dies too soon.

12. FriendlyPsicopath says:

I had a blast with this game for a while, it had some really good ideas, but the way they went to make money with it was kinda bad…. it always suck to know a game will never be able to be played again….

13. MadTinkerer says:

Another whole game which is entirely dependent on a proprietary server for it’s existence is about to vanish forever? It’s almost like tying games wholly to proprietary servers is a bad idea!

14. tombmonkey says:

This game is from the beginning of the F2P era, and did so many things wrongs it’s impressive it lasted so long.

Have to buy the box and then shell out even more money for boosters? Gee awesome, what the hell did I buy?

By the time they made the game free to download I heard most of the people at the developing studio had already been fired, leaving only a skeleton crew to do maintenance and updates.

This game, along with Bloodline Champions stand as my best examples of great games sinking by poor marketing and monetization.

15. KillflyTheGamer says:

Why EA, why this game. It wa my most favourite game and my friends and me really enjoyed the co-op. Oh and by the way thanks for the waste of 200$