Carpe Fulgur Localising Trails In The Sky SC

By Jim Rossignol on September 9th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Is it odd that we report on the localisation work of one specific company? Regardless, the fallout from their last couple of pieces of work – Fortune Summoners, Chantelise, and Recettear – seem to make up for any oddness in localisation reporting. The news that Carpe Fulgur are now converting Trails in the Sky SC into our Anglo-Internet language is wholesome news. The odd things is, though, this is the second chapter of the JRPG, and the first chapter is soon to arrive on PC without CF’s involvement.

Details below.

What’s that you say? CF explain that the first chapter’s localization was already done (I believe for the North American version of the game on PSP/PS3): “To be clear, we have not contributed to the localization of FC – this was done some years ago and nearly drove poor Jessica Chavez of XSEED mad in the attempt. This is another small part of the reason our work has taken a while – we have been trying to pace ourselves as best we can so that our personal lives do not suffer from work. SC, or “Second Chapter”, will be our work. While Ms. Chavez and others at XSEED will be checking over what we do and contributing as necessary (and a large part of the point of the exercise is to help XSEED have resources free to do other things), in the end, the text you see in the game will be our work, and you can expect the same quality of localization as found in our other products.”

Interesting! Will CF’s second part and XSEED’s own conversion match up? It seems like it should, but only time will tell. Whatever the truth, converting either chapter is a big deal, as CF emphasize: “Trails is unquestionably our largest project to date; the main scenario alone is larger than the entire script for Recettear. It is a project that we knew would take an extraordinarily long time to actually finish – a project that we knew many companies had previously rejected for this very reason.”

More on this soon, no doubt.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jack_Dandy says:

I’m extra-super glad for this one.

I was looking forward to playing these titles for the longest time, and was hopeful they’d bring the original PC versions over so I wouldn’t have to play the shitty 30FPS PSP port.

2. Ksempac says:

I don’t find odd that you would report on CF’s work.

Even if we dismissed their past successes, there would definitely be a case for relaying this news. It’s a game on PC, from a known and successful franchise, and as far as English speakers are concerned, it’s gonna be a new release. So that’s definitely worthy of attention from RPS writers.

And if any other translation company (such as XSEED) did similar things, that would also be newsworthy.

3. Oozo says:

Very much looking forward to that. I have to admit that I loved “Recettear”, but neither “Fortune Summoners” nor “Chantelise” seemed too interesting to me.

This one though has an excellent reputation, and apart from “Ni no kuni”, I haven’t played a good JRPG in a long while. The fact that the localization is done by a company that somehow never fails to seem consisting of nothing but nice people is a welcome bonus.

4. thekeats1999 says:

I have the PSP version of this sat on the first game sat on my Vita. It is stuck in a backlog of games that include the Persona 3, Persona 4, Tales of Graces, Tales of Xilia, Outlast, Amnesia, Amnesia A Machine for Pigs, both Batman Games (played almost all of the first and half of the secon), all of the last steam sale purchases, all of my recent gog purchases, well you get the idea.

By the time this has released I will no doubt have cleared one or two of those titles and probably bought another 10, including this game again for the PC.

I really need to block GOG and Steam from my debit/credit cards.

5. Kits says:

This is rather brilliant news. I finished the first of the series on psp a couple months back. Had given up hope of seeing a translation of the rest.
    It always feels really strange to play such a game on PC, I prefer my jrpgs on handhelds, but will take what I can get.

• skittles says:

No problems there, XSeed is doing a PSP release as well. Given they released the first on PSP it would be silly not to.

However given this is originally a PC game it is nice that they are now bringing the PC versions here too.

• radishlaw says:

I do hope someone continue translating the excellent RPG games from Falcom, but a couple of years ago Falcom successfully made the transition into handhelds,and Trails in the sky is the last series they have on PC. If this sells well, I hope they can do ports for the new series set in the same universe…

6. Vagrant says:

EDIT: Did not mean this as a reply, whoops.

I played a bit of this on PSP, although it was not that much in the grand scheme of how big this game is. 10 hours in, and the story moves at a snail’s pace. I eventually stopped playing due to lack of motivation. It’s a lot harder for me to get into traditional JRPGs these days, though.

The combat system was not bad, and there was some potential to the story. I’ll buy it again on PC since I love Ys and want to help ensure XSeed keeps publishing Falcom games (on PC especially). Not sure if I’ll play it, though, since I’d have to slog through the opening again.

7. Therax says:

Very excited to hear about this. Playing through XSEED’s NA release of the first chapter on PSP, the reference point that continually came to mind was Chrono Trigger. It will definitely not make a convert of anyone who already despises JRPGs, but it was a real breath of fresh air for me, as someone who misses the late SNES / early PSX era, before the massive swing to an ever more cinematic experience.

Never thought I’d hear about it on RPS first, given the series’ most recent success has been on the (portable) consoleboxen.

8. endaround says:

This is far from an indie.

• NegativeZero says:

How is it not? Carpe Fulgur are very much an indie localization studio, XSeed are a very small-scale niche independent publisher, and the original developer was Falcom, who are a niche Japanese developer employing less than 50 people and not owned by a publisher. Just because they’ve been around since 1981 doesn’t mean they’re not indie any more.

9. epmode says:

Having played the first game on PSP very recently, it’s definitely slow but I enjoyed myself the whole way through. Traditional JRPGs are getting hard to come by these days. Good ones especially.

While the technical RPG stuff is pretty standard, the characters and writing shine. Don’t mistake the slow start for a lack of direction. There’s clearly a larger arc in motion, it’s just taking its time.

Good music too.

• RedViv says:

The game has one of my favourite soundtracks of… Probably all time. It just fits so well everywhere.
      And the rest, well, I think might just be the one JRPG that I have enjoyed the most in the last years until Ni no kuni arrived.

10. drakkenson says:

I played all three of them in Japanese. The story has nice twists, and the game is not very grindy, i.e. you do not have to farm one place to death to get stronger, indeed you cannot, the monsters die out or don’t give xp any more. The story in the second chapter is a continuation from the first, so they are best played in sequence. The third has a new main protagonist and the characters from the first two are supporting cast, but other than that it is not connected to the other two. It is also more of a grind, but the boss battles and the minigames alleviate that to a certain extent.
    I liked them very much, especially the first two. For JRPG lovers, these should be very nice.

11. Themadcow says:

18 comments. No TiTS puns related to the size of the localisation task.

*goes off to check the fabric of the universe*

Comment on this story