Diesel Powered: New Chronicles Of Riddick, Maybe MMO?

By John Walker on September 10th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

I’ve not seen the third Riddick movie yet, but oh boy do I plan to. Obviously Pitch Black is a great action movie – how could anyone question a film with the opening line, “They say most of your brain shuts down in cryo-sleep. All but the primitive side, the animal side. No wonder I’m still awake,”? But then comes The Chronicles Of Riddick – a film that’s so ludicrously under-appreciated. Yes, it’s unintelligible madness from beginning to end, but it’s also a true epic, in a way that even the biggest, most expensive films just aren’t any more. And Judi Dench has never been better miscast in her career. Bloated, nonsensical, and utterly glorious, today I laud this hated film before you. And then get around to mentioning that hideously, I’ve never played Escape From Butcher Bay. I’ll put that right soon enough, especially with the news that Vin Diesel says he’s pulled the creative team back together for another title.

This news reaches us via the rather obscure path of an interview in Screencrush, latterly found by NeoGAF, and then reported by OXM. And now we’re telling you! Churnalism!

It seems that the team from Starbreeze who made the first two games are regathered once more, under Diesel’s own Tigon Studios, to make a third installment in the Chronicles series, following on from 2009′s Assault On Dark Arena. Except this time the initialism-of-doom has been mentioned, MMO. Diesel told Screencrush,

“There’s this huge concept which is more of a MMO game that would be centered around people being able to play mercs and it’s basically the merc trade. There’s a very cool game concept behind that.”

Before shooting them all in the head with a shotgun, and inexplicably surviving an alien attack.

Quite what to make of that odd description I’m not sure, but even though the studio has since plopped out the stinky Wheelman, there’s pedigree with this franchise, and more than enough good reasons to be interested to see what comes of it. If they don’t cast Judi Dench in it, however, it could be in real trouble.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

New Riddick game – Yay!

MMO – Boo.

• ResonanceCascade says:

You sly squid, I came here to post the exact same thing.

I’ve been replaying Butcher Bay and it is just the best. I’d love to have another one, even after the merely OK Dark Athena.

• PhilLThomson says:

ℳy classmate’s step-sister ℳakes $82/h hourly on the internet. She has been out of a job for 6 ℳonths but last ℳonth her pay was $20983 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read ℳore on this site…

——>>>> http://www.Rush60.com

• PhilLThomson says:

ℳy classmate’s step-sister ℳakes $82/h hourly on the internet. She has been out of a job for 6 ℳonth s but last ℳonth her pay was $20983 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read ℳore on this site…

——>>>> http://www.Rush60.com

2. misterT0AST says:

Nerdy celebrity wants in on the mmo market.
    How is the development of 38 Studios’ “Copernicus” going?

• RedViv says:

Nah, Vin only needs to growl once to convince any dried-up money well to start gushing again.

3. MobileAssaultDuck says:

Regardless of the quality of any given part of the Riddick universe, it is very obvious Vin cares deeply about the character and wants to ensure many outlets exist for Riddick.

Dedication to one’s artistic work is all I really ask of any artist.

Also Vin is a long time D&D player, so I have to back up one of my dice rolling brethren. I have a feeling Riddick existed on a character sheet long before he did as a movie character.

• RedViv says:

So what say we, chaotic neutral for him?

• Tom De Roeck says:

Actually, Vin Diesel has said on Craig Ferguson’s Late Late Show that his biggest dream is to star in a Hannibal trilogy, and he’s slowly accruing money to do so. hence a plethora of Fast & The Furious sequels.

• Niko says:

He also leveraged his house to help fund Riddick.

• ucfalumknight says:

I enjoy the F&F movies. They are pure insanely outrageous Pop Corn scarfing movies. When they added Dwayne Johnson to the cast it went WAY over the top. He can keep making them, I’ll keep watching them.

The Riddick movies follow the same basic formula. Great action, decent stories, and stuff that (while kooky) is interesting. Some movies just can’t pull that stuff off. Though the most recent flick looks like a return to the first.

And I would love another Riddick game, but not an MMO.

• nearly says:

They apparently actually made a full series on BET’s dime, but it never saw the light of day. Although I think I remember hearing they showed something about it at Comic Con one year.

4. GamesInquirer says:

MMO mentions do worry but getting the team that made the first game which has also only ever made pure action games and most of them FPS at least should mean it’s not some dodgy WoW wannabe.

Also, who hates The Chronicles of Riddick movie? News to me. It’s Space Conan and is awesome.

I never played Dark Athena but the original version back in 2004 was pretty good in its time, except for certain sections with badly designed enemies and such. Overall it had great atmosphere and was fun.

• slerbal says:

I felt it was a cross between Pitch Black, Dune and one of those 80s Escape From The Prison movies. All it really missed was Rutger Hauer.

It is ludicrous, incoherent and very silly (a world that catches fire every day, but still has an atmosphere? Crazy! But in a good way), but I do have a huge soft spot for it :)

• Reapy says:

Loved that movie, wished the sequel was another epic rather than a focused down action movie, haven’t seen it yet but that was my impression at least from the preview.

• GamesInquirer says:

Yeah, I don’t understand how he would end up from emperor of the fiercest people left for dead on another planet a la Pitch Black. But still, Riddick will surely be a badass again, enough to make it worthwhile!

• DrGonzo says:

While I really liked Pitch Black I didn’t enjoy Chronicles, I’d like them to forget it ever happened, but they could keep us both happy and make it a prequel maybe?

• brundlefly says:

I haven’t seen it, but I’m guessing it’s related to the Necromonger “You keep what you kill” philosophy. As soon as he took the throne he became target #1 for every ambitious warrior in the universe. I’ll bet he would find an abandoned planet filled with angry beasties less stressful.

• GamesInquirer says:

I guess he would quit willingly, but you’d think someone would steal his place and crusade against the universe even if he left last standing orders or whatever. Unless he somehow makes them unable to continue such practices even if they want to. Even if he left a successor that would be risky, he/she would then be the target for the next jerk in line, or eventually betray his will anyway.

• Skyblade says:

It’s all explained in the new movie

• Goodtwist says:

“It’s Space Conan and is awesome.”
      This statement is so precise that I gotta commend you, Sir! That’s really what came into my mind. I rarely go to the cinema but when I do I might even go to consequtive times watching the same movie. I did that with Chronicles of Riddick.

• mandrill says:

I too said this after my first viewing. Conan in Space (The Barbarian, not O’Brien). Not having seen the new one, but having seen the trailers, I am somewhat disappointed that they didn’t go a more GoT/Dune route with the Necromongers. Riddick at the head of an unstoppable army remoulding the universe at his whim. There’s very definitely a movie in that.

• SwENSkE says:

Well, except for the fact that would be completely out of character for Riddick.

• Ross Angus says:

The Chronicles Of Riddick holds a similar place in my heart to Zardos. Cherished nonsense.

• Arglebargle says:

While you can enjoy any particular thing, no matter how bad (I still have MOO3 on this computer), Chronicles of Riddick was just terrible, filled with poorly thought through bombast, ludicrous story, and characterization worthy of a lemon. It was a tremendous let down from the taught cleverness of Pitch Black. While Diesel seems like a great guy, he should probably leave the world building to others.

• brundlefly says:

If Chronicles… had been a standalone film I would have enjoyed it more. It was a fun, doofy piece of of science fantasy (Space Conan puts it well). But I loved Pitch Black and I would have loved more small-scale, gritty “working class stiffs in space” style films. Other than the Crematoria bits, Chronicles felt like a totally different franchise.

5. lowprices says:

I’m still stunned that the Riddick franchise is lumbering on. Pitch Black was a fun film, and Escape from Butcher Bay was very good, but Dark Athena was a bit naff and The Chronicles of Riddick was a two-hour tidal wave of absolute bumwater. My bet is on the MMO part of this new game being dropped by the wayside and being retooled as a MOBA. Possibly one in which you pit the various film incarnations of Vin Diesel against each other.

• misterT0AST says:

If you’re stunned you probably don’t know how it works (if you do, sorry for the unneeded explaination). Vin Diesel spends the money he gets from The Fast and The Furious films in making the Riddick films.
      Also, I’m one of the 6 people in the entire internet who doesn’t mind Mobas being mass produced, if they bring something new to the table.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

That’s part of it, but the reason it’s in the cinema is because Universals interest picked up with the huge dvd sales of the riddick films.

• phenom_x8 says:

Dark Athena are not dissapointed in my opinion, maybe its a little misstep than escape from Butcher Bay, but still, Riddick characterization are pretty strong here (and thats what makes me love riddick very much, bad ass antihero that only talks when necessary and doing the most logical thing to survive). Theres no save the princess or save the world mentality here, Riddick like most of us (but sometimes we wont admit) are just trying to survive for himself.
      *SPOILER*
      For example, he leaves a little girl inside athena who are begged to be saved while he’s already inside the escape pod because he just want to survive, thats all, no pittance, no sad face.etc

6. VCepesh says:

Diesel is somewhat like Harrison Ford to me – I do not really appreciate him as an actor nor do I like any of his characters. but he seems quite a nice chap otherwise.

“More of a MMO” doesn’t exactly spell “this is going to be a MMO”. Maybe, it’s more along the lines of an online co-op shooter with progression and rankings? Still, even mentioning the above abbreviation is setting yourself up for disaster.

• Nick says:

wait wait wait.. you don’t like Han Solo or Indiana Jones?

I don’t understand people.

• pupsikaso says:

What was there to like about Han Solo? Now, admittedly I’ve watched the original Star Trek trilogy only a few months ago for the first time, so the culture clash probably affected it. People sure behaved strangely in those years.

• ResonanceCascade says:

The main problem is that the way he treats Bilbo is just utterly preposterous.

• atticus says:

This.

He’s totally treating him like shit, even though he’s got the best powers of all the mutants in the academy. It’s almost too painful to watch,

• ryanrybot says:

I guess everyone knows about Spock being Han Solo’s father by now so the magic really is gone for new fans.

• RedViv says:

Still, one has to admire how he took down the killer. I mean, really, who expected it to be a sled, of all things?

• RProxyOnly says:

Harrison Ford, really? I always considered him to be a bit of a dick..good actor though.

For years he disdained SW.. refused to talk about it and generally thought himsef above the movie, it seems only now that he’s almost really for the big sleep that he’s willing to get involved again just to top up his bank balance at this late stage. don’treally want him the new movies, referrences fair enough, but an actual presence.. not so much.

7. Niko says:

Can’t say no to Vin Diesel.

8. AlwaysRight says:

“Stinky Wheelman”

9. ffordesoon says:

“Plopped out the stinky Wheelman” sounds like a tremendously weird euphemism.

10. Tei says:

I really liked “Chronicles Of Riddick”. In a way was a Quake1 movie.

11. SirKicksalot says:

Watch the Director’s Cut of Chronicles. It’s better and even more ridiculous than the theatrical version.
    It also restores an important subplot that was cut from the theatrical version but was featured in the first game… which came out before the Director’s Cut.

As for Wheelman, it’s the game version of one of those cheap Luc Besson action movies. Sleeping Dogs stole the car combat from it.

• GamesInquirer says:

I don’t know if this is true, I’ve only watched and enjoyed the DC, so perhaps there’s merit to the idea that people who hate it (again, news to me) missed some important chunks.

12. RProxyOnly says:

CoR was an awesome movie.. I honestly don’t where the hate for it comes from… It’s pretty much better than most sci-fi pop corn blockbusters, that should have kept the casuals happy, and as for the more discerning there was plently in the movie to get your teeth into.

Definately a step above the usual crop.

• lordfrikk says:

I love that movie to bits. I know it’s not perfect but the combination of Vin Diesel’s presentation and the whole universe just works for me extremely well in that particular installment. Oh, and the music.

• Jenks says:

If you are really interested in where all the hate comes from, conveniently there is a lot of material here for you to reference:

13. WladTapas says:

I saw Riddick on Sunday, and it is very much Pitch Black vol. 2. Chronicles is referred to briefly (they do explain how his situation changed so drastically), and then it’s planetary survival all the way. The first act is a great Space Conan story. Though Riddick seems to be a ranger instead of barbarian.

14. PopeRatzo says:

No, not an MMO, please. Why do creative people in gaming feel so obliged to follow the leader?

15. Moraven says:

Enjoyed the new movie. Hope it becomes successful so we can see more. Had a great beginning.

16. DanPryce says:

I dream of a Riddick game in the Batman: Arkham Asylum mould. Modders: plz?

17. Jenks says:

I miss his brother, Leonard Diesel.

18. Jackablade says:

Hm. Riddick MMO eh. I’m guessing each player takes control of a bat thing or a bipedal scorpion thing. Your one objective is to take down Vin Diesel.

• Contrafibularity says:

One does not simply take down Vin Diesel. MMO doesn’t sound good although it must simply be a matter of time until someone makes a good one (if for no other reason there are so many examples of how not to do it). The Riddick games were rather excellent though, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there could be something to this.

19. Mctittles says:

Love the Riddick movies. One thing that always bothers me though is they explain early on his glasses/goggles are to shield regular light because his eyes were made for the dark, but he takes them on and off repeatedly throughout the movies whether it’s light out or not.