Dreadchase Gets Explained A Little Bit

By Jim Rossignol on September 10th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Dreadchase developer Stephen Wheadon feels like his game needs to be explained in a little more detail. To that end, he’s sent us a video, which you can see below. He also explains that his 6DoF space game – in which the player has a stealthed space base and sneaky combat ship thing at his disposal – is a cautious mix of stealth and violence: “You can infiltrate hostile bases via hacking, unlocking doors and disabling security systems etc. Alternatively given that you are armed with deadly weaponry you can simply blast through everything, as a rocket launcher acts as a pretty good keycard replacement. The entire environment is fully destructible.” The trade off, Wheadon explains, is scarcity – if you go in shooting you might destroy the stuff you need to steal.

Dreadchase is looking colourfully awesome, and should appear a little later this year. Go watch the video. Or even play the demo.

, .

1. Arkanos says:

Has more promise than Space Engineers if for nothing else than the fact that it’s from someone who isn’t known for overpromising and taking pre-order money for games that are never delivered, as happened with Miner Wars(overpromised) and the Miner Wars MMO(never delivered).

• Paroxysm says:

You were so close to saying something relevant about this game and not just bitching about a totally different game. Better luck next time.

2. fucrate says:

It looks cool, but he needs to make another video that’s three times longer so he can slow way, way down. I have absolutely no idea what he is talking about and have nothing but a very vague idea of what he’s showing off. Totally incomprehensible at this point.

• Shadowcat says:

In case the dev is reading, I thought it was explained very succinctly, and you made the key points pretty clear. I’m sure there’s plenty more you could have said, but I didn’t find any part of the video particularly confusing (and indeed I’m now quite interested in the game, whereas it wasn’t previously on my radar). Good job.

• thebigJ_A says:

I vote for incomprehensible. Didn’t help that the game audio completely drowned him out towards the end.

Go slower.

3. ghling says:

Normally I don’t have problems with motion sickness or something like this, but I couldn’t watch 1 minute of the video without feeling uncomfortable. This surely is an interesting game and I’m very interested in games like this, but I fear I have to skip this one.

4. Caiman says:

This game is confusing as heck in the demo, and I think Stephen could have done a better job explaining it in that video as well. But, my god it’s worth persevering because this game is brilliant. It’s easily the best 6 DoF game that I’ve played of the recent crop, it’s hugely atmospheric, and the experience of seeing invaders infiltrating your base and destroying the doors, corridors and walls is one of those “this is what gaming is all about” moments. I can’t wait to see what he’s going to do with the finished product, the demo hints at greatness. My advice, though, is put together a decent tutorial so you don’t scare people off!

5. trjp says:

Future Sound of London/Amorphous Androgynous vibe in the music – I likee…

The controls tho – erm – I haven’t got that many fingers!! 2 joysticks (aka a controller) would work a lot better I think?!

Nice aesthetic tho – needs a bit more explaination (esp for the hacking) and tutorial boxes which don’t take up half the screen perhaps.

• Emeraude says:

Grumble.. I DIDN’T want to check that… but with such musical comparison, I have to.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

The music was really something special, the game did a great job of putting you in a place that feels completely alien, for that reason I will persevere trying to get my head around the demo.

6. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I think this game could be really frustrating (for me) if it’s so easy for your base to get detected and come under attack after which you’ll have to painstakingly remove any enemy presence.

That, and while the bases look nice, they look generated rather than built which might make it difficult to find a way out/to a certain compartment.

7. PhilLThomson says:

ℳy classmate’s step-sister ℳakes $82/h hourly on the internet. She has been out of a job for 6 ℳonths but last ℳonth her pay was $20983 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read ℳore on this site…

——>>>> http://www.Rush60.com