Video Interview – Valiant Hearts: The Great War

By Nathan Grayson on September 11th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Ubisoft’s surprise World War I action puzzler Valiant Hearts: The Great War is looking marvelous. Developed by some of the best and brightest minds behind Rayman Legends and Beyond Good and Evil, the frank yet humorous take on the horrors of war focuses on five characters, each of whom cross paths with one another and also a day-saving, heart-melting Red Cross puppy. The tale isn’t biographical per se, but it’s absolutely rooted in reality, with many scenarios writ large by history’s mighty quill – and also small by pens on actual postcards from the time, given to producer/audio director Yoan Fanise by his grandmother. His great grandfather fought, and Valiant Hearts is in part an attempt to honor that service. I recently sat down with Fanise, and he showed me the individual postcards that inspired the game and told me precisely where fiction meets reality.

And OK, yeah, we also talked about the dog.

P.S. Apologies for the video quality. While I can already incontrovertibly say that RPS’ videos are The Greatest In Recorded History, it’s still early days and I may have shot this one on an iPhone.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. eQuality_Ninja says:

Refreshing interview! I’m keeping an eye on this – really hope this turns out well.

Preordering Rome 2 has burnt me quite badly, so I won’t be paying for anything prematurely that doesn’t have a WIT on it, but game interviews like this restore some faith.

2. Gap Gen says:

This looks fantastic, particularly in motion on the screen behind.

3. soulblur says:

Hi Nathan,

Bit of a personal request. If it’s possible, could we have transcripts of the videos or a summary of some of the things you talked about? My non-altruistic reason is that it’s thus easier to digest while at work (bad soulblur!). My altruistic reason is that it makes the articles more accessible.

• The Random One says:

I echo that thought, as English is not my first language and I’m pretty sure that a meager five years ago the combination of a foreign accent and less than stellar audio would have stopped me from understanding a single thing.

But this is the Internet so I won’t be polite! DO IT SHITNUGGET DORITOSWHORE OR I’LL SEND YOU A FUCKING CUPCAKE

4. Koozer says:

People getting shot and blown to bits is all fine and dandy, but if they do anything to that dog I can’t play it.

5. S Jay says:

Nice interview. I prefer the written type, but this was nice too.

6. muelnet says:

I’m more excited about this than just about any game made by an AAA publisher since some far distant past when those things actually excited me. I might end up buying this game even if it isn’t great just to try to encourage more of this kind of thing.

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Thanks for the interview. I’m now eagerly awaiting more news on Valiant Hearts.

8. wodin says:

WOW basic WW1 mistake made by him calling the British air force the Royal Air force when for most of the war it was the Royal Flying Corps (Until I think March 1918). When a developer makes a very simple error like this I despair and don’t hold out on it being historical at all. He also makes no mention of the Football match being the British against the Germans (It may have happened at the French lines, but the French had far more animosity to th Germans than the Brits did in ’14 obviously).

I do like the fact they are getting humour and hopefully compassion and a feeling of comrade ship.

Anyway I am looking forward to it and I hope barring any minor historical errors it plays aswell as it sounds and looks.

• LTK says:

If you know that much about WW1 you should send them an e-mail, I’m sure they’d appreciate the information. (Not sarcasm!)