Wizard! Wizardry VI, VII, and 8 Are Now For Sale On Steam

By John Walker on September 11th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Night Dive, the people who managed to retrieve System Shock 2 from the abyss and release it once more, are back. And this time they’ve brought Wizardry VI, VII and 8 with them. All three are now on Steam, in working-on-a-modern-PC-versions. It’s time to party.

It is to my everlasting disappointment that party-based RPGs so very rarely offer that promised party atmosphere. Almost never are there slices of cake awkwardly forced on people standing in the kitchen, wondering if they’ve been there long enough to make excuses to go home. When last did we see two characters from such a game drunkenly snogging in a dark corner in the back garden? And where are all the attendees being sick in the sink? It’s just a tissue of lies.

Early enforcers of this deception were the Wizardry games, and 6-8 are frequently lauded by the olden, through their cobweb-covered mouths, as shining examples. And now you can pick up 6 and 7 for £3.49/$4.99, 8 for £6.39/$9.99 on Steam, or get all three for £9.99/$14.99. Here’s a trailer for so-very-modern-looking 8:

, , , .

DragonOfTime says:

Bioware’s games usually have the awkward snogging.

2. Preyer says:

And they’ve been available on GOG.com for a while?

• gschmidl says:

Not just that, the Steam version uses a screenshot from GOG.

e: beaten below, oops.

• rustybroomhandle says:

No Linux versions on GoG. Although, granted, those install and run perfectly fine using PlayOnLinux, but it’s still nice to be aknowledged.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Didn’t you get the memo? It’s all about Steam. It’s the hip new thing in town, I hear.

• Styles says:

But we all loooove steam! (Did I get that right? That’s what I’m meant to say isn’t it?)

I can’t wait for Steam 2: Electric Boogaloo. It’ll be even steamier and the fanboys will be even more fanatical!

melnificent says:

So buying them separately is cheaper….. just.

RedViv says:

FULL-COLOR ANIMATED graphics
    DIGITIZED sound (NO add-on cards required)
    HARD DISK supported

Wait. Let me see…
    Yes. They copied the exact feature list from the right part of the back of Wizardry VI’s box.
    WHY DOES THIS MAKE ME FEEL HAPPY THINGS?

5. BooleanBob says:

No need to get all Shriti about it, guy.

6. Deadly Habit says:

The devs also uploaded the same screenshots as GOG including this one giving some free advertising to the competition.

• BryanTrysers says:

If Steam were that bothered about advertising for GOG, they probably wouldn’t include the info that Wizardry 8 is cheaper on GOG (complete with link) on their store page .

• LionsPhil says:

Night Dive are in no way “devs”. Let’s please not give IP parasites the credit of that title.

Unless the money for these purchases goes back to the original developers, or at a stretch the publisher that funded the original developers—and I’ve yet to hear one hint of this being the case—this is someone cashing in on others’ work.

Including, apparently, GOG’s.

basilisk says:

Unless it was Night Dive who got the game on GOG in the first place, which seems to be the Occam-preferred reading of this situation.

(The System Shock 2 screenshots at Steam and GOG are also identical.)

• frightlever says:

You so fundamentally fail to understand how business works that I fear for your safety if you ever blunder into a mall. Not that you will because buying an apple from a store is fruit-theft and unless the original peasant that picked it is being paid then it’s immoral.

• Infinitron says:

I’d be surprised if Night Dive were getting any more than a small royalty for each sale of these games. Maybe not even that.

The rights holder is a Japanese company. See here: http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/03/wizardrys-wild-ride-from-west-to-east/

• belgand says:

And considering that Wizardry inspired Dragon Quest which led to, well, pretty much every single JRPG this amuses me.

• Dezmiatu says:

Gogcom has always been a violent, oppressive bully. That’s why the website named themselves after that thug.

7. Trillby says:

I guess they made 8 just after we changed from the roman to the hindu-arabic numerical system.

RedViv says:

Scientific fact: The Roman eight is the silliest of all Hindu-numerally single digit numbers, which is why the amazingly curvy eight is preferred.
      Also curves fit Wizardry better, because dayumn.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

YourRight(Turban, Allegro, Hat, Niche, Colander)

Checksum Error

WTF!

8. Buckermann says:

Looking at the comments at the steam forum, it seems that these versions are rather buggy.
    I considered buying them for the convenience of having a easy way to install and play them, but it seems they are just as difficult install and run as if I used my old CDs.

9. Optimaximal says:

Pookins!

Tom De Roeck says:

Please let this be a beacon for WIzardry to find his way back home.

11. Ross Angus says:

How can you not call that a party? Billy Samurai has clearly come in cosplay as a Cacodemon.

DrScuttles says:

Never have I ever played a Wizardry game. In fact, the series as a whole would appear to be one of my blind spots in video game history. While it’s sad to say that 200 hours of gameplay is something of a turn off these days (unless we’re talking about Dark Souls), my party RPG glands are nonetheless vaguely stimulated by this.
    Nostalgia’s a strange beast. When it comes to old games I have familiarity with, it’s easy to slip back into old habits, exaggerating the positives while the negatives slowly consume you. Like a tumultuous relationship with an unsavoury ending from years past you somehow find yourself back into.
    But with many old games that I’ve never played, it can be so easy to just bounce off their clunky old ways.
    Like when John played System Shock 2. That kind of thing could have been made into a semi-regular feature of some kind. *hint* *hint*

13. frightlever says:

Never played 6 or 7 but 8 was a pure grind. Does the speed hack still work? Never had it when the game first came out so I made it about halfway through before it wore me down and I gave up.

• Risingson says:

If 8 is pure grind, 6 and 7 are pure nightmares of grinding. Wizardry games, as important as they are in setting the videogame RPG genre (both jrpg and crpg), are very difficult to play now, as saving/load and *luck* are much more important factors than strategy. And 8 fixed that quite a lot.

So after more than 10 hours playing Wizardry 7 going nowhere, and realizing that 6 was more or less the same, I gave up on both games. Back then I say. Like 15 years ago. Now, if you like Etrians Odyssey maybe these games will suit you.

14. fish99 says:

Some of the credit for resurrecting System Shock 2 (and Thief 1+2) has to go to the anonymous person who released an unofficial patch for them which brought them up to DX9 and fixed all the issues they had on modern systems.

15. Tei says:

I don’t consider party-based hack&slash games to be RPG’s. You can’t roleplay a character if what you control is a party. So don’t call Wizardry a RPG, is a Squad Based Hack& Slash. Is a SHS game.

*tryiing to lure out of the woods our beloved wizardry poster*
    *we miss you, wizardry*

Lambchops says:

Oddly enough, I do rather miss Wizardry!

• SanguineAngel says:

yeah wizardry was excellent fun for me. He harped on (and on) but I think in retrospect could be considered pretty tame and inoffensive relatively speaking.

Also, I like party based RPGs but reckon some of the older H&S dungeon crawlers missed a trick or two on the RP front.

• SkittleDiddler says:

So basically what you’re saying is that you are personally incapable of roleplaying more than one character at a time. You have my sympathy.

Multi-Person Party-Based or Squad-Based Role Playing Games Turned Based or Otherwise (MPPBSBRPGTBOs) are certainly easier for those of us who have dissociative identity disorder.

16. Viroso says:

I never played these older RPGs but enjoyed Legend of Grimrock a ton. It was just non-stop dungeon exploration, and I enjoy that a lot. Is Wizardry 7 like that? Or is there a bunch of talking in towns and grinding and annoying things. I just want to take a party and go dungeon crawling.

• BlueSkies says:

Even the towns in Wizardry 8 are just like outdoor dungeons. No respite! I bet VII is the same.

I did enjoy W8 a lot. It felt like the last game of its kind.

17. DaeL says:

There’s a reason why I will never buy a Wizardry game from any place other than GOG.com. People who made this trailer deserve all my money: http://youtu.be/fIRFXi344rI

18. noom says:

Wizardry 8′s one of my all-time favourite games. Have completed it 4 or 5 times. Sad to say that coming to the series late, I never managed to penetrate 6 or 7; they both felt rather archaic by the time I got round to trying them.

19. Vinraith says:

A service for people that can’t be bothered to install and patch their own games is selling Wizardry 6. This should be hilarious.

20. guygodbois00 says:

Rrrrats!

21. Abattur says:

Yeahyeahyeah, wizardry whatever.
    But now the real news. Dominons 3 FINALLY went to steam!

• TheGameSquid says:

Saw that as well and almost crapped my pants. Dominions 3 is GODLIKE!

22. Enkinan says:

Back in my day, we played Wizardry 1 on a black and white monitor. Both ways uphill. In the snow. Damn whippersnappers.

23. Chumbaba says:

In my opinion, Wizardry 7 is the best western RPG ever made. And I’ve played many an RPG since. Wizardry 7 has everything. Excellent character development (through using skills), combat that is both turn-based and thrilling (with a ton of working options), huge world designed with love of history and myth, tough puzzles and interesting story.

Wizardry 8, on the other hand, was a huge disappointment for me. It looked terrible even back in the day, the plot made no sense (you see, there are actually three Holy Grails and you gotta catch them all!), combat was long and boring. The main reason probably is that the lead designer, David Bradley, was not on the team, making his own (excellent) Wizards and Warriors instead.

PS: Wizardry 6 is very good, but comes nowhere near the great W7.
    PPS: The Wizardry franchise is currently held by Japanese teams. So if you have a PS2 (or an emulator), go for the Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land. It even has a sequel, but Japanese only.