Finger Clicky Explodey Rewardy: Alien Rage Trailer

By Craig Pearson on September 12th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

YOU POPPED MY BUBBLE!
There’s a first-person shooter coming out on Steam this month called Alien Rage. Now unless you’re currently performing surgery or you’re on a tight-rope, I want you to close your eyes and imagine it. The trailer is below.

You had it all, didn’t you? The landing strip shoulder pads framing a bald-headed alpha marine sergeant grrrinator man. You imagined the over-designed mechs folding weapons out of improbable spaces. You could smell the guns chewing up lead apples and spitting out the pips at barrel-melting velocity. You were in an impractical world of neon lighting and bad people with guns. You almost certainly thought of a space ship, or at least some sort of colony. You were correct. That’s Alien Rage: an unreconstructed game of shooting and being shot, all set to a rock soundtrack.

This is one of those moments where my brain has a choice. It could be sniffy and dismissive of what it just saw, or it could take a nice walk and let my brain-free body have what it wants. A game of finger clicky explodey rewardy. I used to be fairly sniffy about these meat-faced blasters, but after playing Hard Reset a while ago I’ve decided to allow myself two per year. As long as they’re pretty, and as long as they understand that I’m not there for story or plots or to take what I’m doing seriously, I will give myself over to them for a limited amount of time. But in my own time, and not on launch.

It’s out September 24th.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. HaVoK308 says:

Appears to be inspired by Gears of War, Halo, and Killzone. Should be fun.

• Stardreamer says:

This game could easily have been called Unreal 3, which of course in this day and age would end up looking a lot like Gears of War.

I can’t say I hate this. Looks like a quick ten hours of Run-N-GunFun.

• YTDamnit says:

Soldier of Fortune clone

2. Angel Dust says:

I’ve always got time for a good dumb shooter, and this looks promising, but the Shadow Warrior remake has my attention at the moment.

3. Chalky says:

It’s not like we’re drowning in sci-fi FPS games these days, they seem to have taken a back seat to contemporary or near future military manshoots.

If they do a good job with this it could be pretty fun to play. Wait and see I guess.

4. BreadBitten says:

Nu-metal? Seriously?

• sinister agent says:

It’s kind of appropriate given that the rest of it looks fairly early 2000s, too. Although a lot prettier.

• AlmostPalpable says:

Who else do you think is going to be interested in a “mature” CoD-Sci-Fi game for retards? Nu-Metal fans, it’s like, totally underground and cool, bro. You wouldn’t understand.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

that’s not nu-metal

5. Stevostin says:

I always wanted to play Scott Meyer in a video game.

6. Spacewalk says:

I’ll just assume that it’s aliens that are being shot at, it’s mostly unclear.

• Grey Poupon says:

Didn’t look like they were on earth, if the protagonist is even an earthling or just looks like one. Aren’t “aliens” the ones who don’t belong. So the dude’s most likely on a rage fueled rampaged because the other guys stole his girlfriend and most likely end up turning it into a cyborg machine thing and you have to kill it as a second-to-last boss.

Or perhaps the rage he’s feeling isn’t familiar to him. But the girlfriend part will still be the same.

7. Bull0 says:

I think that looks rather good. Proof of the pudding will likely be in the eating.

Okami says:

Yup, this is a videogame.

Also, looks a bit like Halo with really shitty art direction.

Makariel says:

Halo has a pretty shitty art direction, by which I mean didn’t have any direction for most of the time.

Gap Gen says:

Followed up by Alien Doom and Alien Quake. Or indeed Alan Quake.

• Shadowcat says:

Ahhhh Haaaaaarrrggghhhhhhhh!!!! *gurgle*

Gap Gen says:

Yes, try not to drink the poisoned cup. That’s just elementary hero-villain stuff.

• edwardoka says:

Fascinating creatures, aliens. I don’t find them attractive, it’s just… confusing.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

no joke, the game was actually called Alien Fear when farm51 was making it. but city interactive took the project from under them and made this.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Ha ha, *doffs the cap*. Is the back story that the Strogg have stolen all the torch batteries and typewriter ribbons, Alan in a fit of Pique, shaves head, roids up and goes proper mental?

• moizeus says:

Alan Quake: Stroggian Nightmare

10. Robslap says:

Ah the return of the ‘metal’ riff…. Takes me back.

LTK says:

Looks a bit like Prey, doesn’t it?

Malibu Stacey says:

Yeah I got that vibe from it too. Looks like it could be entertaining in the same way Prey was (without the annoying “respawn” mechanic Prey had).

12. Shadowcat says:

Okay, that looked pretty awesome. Fast-paced action, grunty-feeling and -sounding weapons, funky physics, at least moderate numbers of simultaneous opponents. Fun!

Whether it’s cursed with the likes of QTEs remains to be seen. There were plenty of scripted events on show (and what looked like a bunch of boss-monster encounters), and it’s on consoles after all, so that could be a concern. Here’s hoping that they’ve kept that rubbish out, and it really is the action-heavy good-time FPS that it makes itself out to be.

And almost as impressive as anything else, the gameplay looked like it might actually have been captured from someone using mouselook, which would be a small miracle. With most cross-platform shooters it’s all too painfully apparent that a gamepad was being used, as the player can’t seem to aim to save themselves, thus making the game look utter pants. It was hard to tell for certain given the nature of footage, but it certainly didn’t make the player look bad, so it at least shows that the people making the trailer know what they’re doing.

Finally, there was no Steam logo on it! (Ah CRAP all over everything; yes, there is a Steam logo. I only saw the PCDVD logo the first time. Bollocks. Should I bother hoping that it’s not a requirement?)

13. furiannn says:

What we really need is bulletstorm 2

Malibu Stacey says:

Because the first one wasn’t bad enough?

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Oh yes, the only Bulletstorm DLC I would buy is the Crash to Desktop expansion!

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, I loved Bulletstorm. Really don’t understand the hate with that one. But then I often don’t understand the hate

quietone says:

B-b-but….no survival? No horror? No zombies?

Shooting aliens in corridors? Unheard of!

15. warcroft says:

UNREAL TOURNAMENT!!!

cpt_freakout says:

That header image is ridiculous, and has the perfect caption.

17. Zaftrum189 says:

Is there really such a thing as ‘over the top’ action in games anymore? I would have thought by now, and given how standard these sorts of action games are, we would have reached the top of over the top awhile ago.

18. squirrel says:

I rather want Epics to pick up Unreal (the game series) again. All the UT clones out there and no hope of a new Unreal (not Unreal Engine game, but an “Unreal” installment) being planned.

19. bit_crusherrr says:

This looks…. amazing.

strangeloup says:

Oh man, this looks like the dudebroliest of dudebro shooters.

21. BillyIII says:

It’s out two days before shadow warrior. IMHO it’s a bad timing.

22. Dances to Podcasts says:

After killing the final boss you awake to find you were in a machine called the Subliminator, where people live out their violent fantasies so they can be an obedient citizen the rest of the time. Then the real game begins.

23. Melonfodder says:

Comparing Hard Reset’s colourful, imaginative environments and fun gameplay with the dull bollocks of this feels like a disservice to HR. Gorgeous game, and a fun shooter.

Hire a concept artist, for goodness sake.

24. PopeRatzo says:

What’s the catch? F2P? MMO?

There has to be a catch.

25. SillyWizard says:

I can’t help but think of Enemy Mine whenever I look at that top image. A less endearing, pregnanty feel-goody Enemy Mine, to be sure, but still….

Also: are those aliens wearing…hoodies? Under their…GoW/Darksiders whatchamakallit suits?

26. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

The picture looks like he could be shouting,

“SHOW ME YOUR WARFACE!! THAT’S NOT A WARFACE, THIS IS A WARFACE!!”

27. MrUnimport says:

So it’s Hard Reset except with even less colour and none of the charm? Even my brainless body would desire more than just loudness and noise. Tiny metal moving parts and glowing lights together, what a headache this looks to be. I’m not opposed at all to mindless shooters, but there ought to be an art to them, you know?

28. psyman says:

I find the art design hideous. Who does this appeal to?

I wish more games would follow the practical, functional approach to futuristic design like in Elysium, for example.

• hypercrisis says:

It appeals to lazy developers who don’t would rather use the default Unreal engine assets than hire an art designer.