Fire And Slice: Bound By Flame

By Adam Smith on September 12th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

It’s going to be very hard for a big ol’ fantasy RPG to get my attention while not being The Witcher 3. From the developer of the wooden War Logs of Mars, Bound By Flame is the tale of a mercenary possessed by a flame demon. You are that mercenary! Or maybe you’re the flame demon. That would be a decent twist actually, explaining away the somewhat arbitrary nature of control over conversations and relationships that tends to be par for the course in games of this sort. The demon thinks it would be amusing to force the poor hero to give one of his travelling companions four hundred turkey dinners, only to fall into despair as the grateful recipient immediately disrobes. Bound by Flame: The Screwtape Letters. Trailer below.

Unlike The Witcher, Bound by Flame allows for character customisation, and the protagonist’s chosen appearance will alter the demon’s. I’ll also be very impressed if CD Projekt have more impressive ogre bums than Bound by Flame. If you didn’t spot it in the video above, take another look. Hefty.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. antoniodamala says:

Looks boring.

2. DigitalParadox says:

Don’t these guys crank out mediocre RPGs at least once a year?

3. Paul says:

I wish Spiders got nice budget and time to make something special. No idea if this might be it, but it does not look bad, music is nice.

• ZIGS says:

It’s not just Spiders, all Focus-published games feel like they could’ve used a few more months and millions in order to rise from “average” to “good”. I think they should focus (heh) less on quantity and more on quality

• Lemming says:

When has throwing money at the problem of something being mediocre ever helped? Many triple-A games cost millions and have no substance whatsoever.

• The Random One says:

Aye. Their problem might be solved with a few millions more, but might also be solved by developing “middlecore” games or whatever the hell we’re calling them now instead of ambitious but flawed things.

Though Focus’ games always seemed a little heartless to me. Maybe they’re all robots. Or marketers.

4. Ny24 says:

This is one of these games where a female protagonist would make it at least a litte bit interesting

Zallgrin says:

They DO have a female customizable protagonist as well. Looking forward to see what her voice-actor is going to be.

• Xzi says:

If that ever has a bearing on whether or not the game is interesting, then it’s a pretty terrible game anyway.

In this case, it’s a Focus Entertainment game, and they aren’t good at developing pretty much anything, let alone RPGs on par with the bigger names out there.

5. Jac says:

I can’t think of three words that when put together are more amusing than “Impressive ogre bums”. My life is now complete, thank you.

6. Cytrom says:

Wasn’t a very good trailer… since i have no idea what kind of game is it supposed to be, but its looked good.

7. Keyrock says:

I didn’t get much from that trailer other than BIG SWORDS! BLOOD! BIG DEMON!

I liked Mars: War Logs and I’m currently playing Of Orcs and Men and I like that game too (the combat system in particular), but both of those games reek of big ambition and only delivering on maybe half of what they set out to make, likely due to budget/time constraints. Maybe this time they’ll actually be able to make something fully realized?

8. Viroso says:

Of Orcs and Men had a great premise, this one seems to be interesting too. But then their game comes out and there’s barely a positive word about them. Let’s see how this one turns out.

9. Atrophy says:

For some reason the trailer made me think of Akham City/Asylum’s combat…. would that not make for an epic fantasy combat system? With the addition of shields it could make striking, blocking, dodging, etc. extremely fun. :)

10. aliksy says:

Meh. What makes this better than Dragon Age/Witcher/Two Worlds 2? (Probably not the ogre butt at 0:27)

11. Wurstwaffel says:

Looks neat. Now we need some gameplay footage

Bradamantium says:

Looks like it’ll end up being the budget version of The Witcher. I’m actually okay with that, because I have an inexplicable soft spot for painfully mediocre RPGs. They’re charming in how hard they try. Or don’t.

JiminyJickers says:

War logs was okay, but not that great. I’ll probably only look at this after a hefty sale.

14. Suits says:

Their games usually have a lot to be desired at the execution end of things.

15. Saarlaender39 says:

Lords of the Fallen has the bigger baddies:

16. Caiman says:

Why are we not concerned that this game is developed by spiders? I mean, it says so right there in the trailer, and clearly they have decided enough is enough after seeing way too many mods in other games to patch them out. They’re developing this game as a nefarious means of infiltrating your mind with their spideriness. Halfway through the game, the twist is that the flame demon is just nonsense, it’s actually a spider demon. In fact, you ARE a spider, and so you’ll have to stare at a spider for the remainder of the game (a spider’s ass, please note that Craig), controlling that spider, as though you were a spider. Soon you’ll be thinking in base 8. It’s just not right, I say!

17. Robslap says:

I enjoyed the beard ratio in this trailer.

18. Megakoresh says:

If this was a trailer for “Hack and Slash UltraBoss’n’Demons Xtreme”, then I would perhaps keep an eye out. But if this is a trailer for a supposedly story-based nonlinear RPG, then I think I’ll pass. Size and ugliness of monsters matter elsewhere.

19. abbieray says:

my classmate’s step-sister makes $80 hourly on the laptop.
    She has been fired from work for 10 months but last month her pay was
    $19444 just working on the laptop for a few hours. additional info……………http://www.pick85.com/

20. Tuco says:

Tentatively curious.
    I hope it’s going to be some decent Gothic clone, but chances are more for a generic hack’n slash.