Have A Look At Heroes Of Loot

By Craig Pearson on September 12th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

This is a surprise. I am grinning at the Heroes Of Loot trailer. I don’t emote often, even if I am feeling amused or entertained. It’s a defense mechanism from growing up in Glasgow, where emotions are seen as the weak spot of your Glaswegianosity, and displaying happiness was frowned upon with knives and punching. I trained myself to not react to things, and now suffer a face that appears palsied and angry, even when nice things are happening. So take it from me and my grinning mush that speedy little dungeon crawler Heroes Of Loot looks lovely, and it also has an excellent trailer. The buy page even has a demo, which is such a rarity nowadays that it also counts as loot.

It’s a cute and fleet-footed dungeon-crawler that’s also a shooter. It’s a bit like Gauntlet unchained, giving you the selection of one of four tropey little characters to traipse through the dungeons. And those dank holes are randomly generated, so you and whatever friends you want to take down with you will have an endless supply of spaces to blast through and loot to gather. A quick trip through the demo suggests there’s a degree of auto-aim here: you aim generally in the direction of the swarm of enemies and the game takes care of the rest. Might be a fun thing for kiddies to earn an education in deep loot diving?

Here’s that excellent trailer.

It’s out now, and it costs barely anything.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Wednesday says:

You speak very good English for a Glaswegian.

2. LTK says:

My first thought was “Oh dear, Vlambeer didn’t get cloned again, did they?” But this is looking pretty fun.

Okay, I just tried the demo, and I was surprised to see that aiming is done automatically. As far as I could tell, every attack consists of holding down X, and it automatically targets the nearest enemy, and if you have a rune power-up, you automatically fire that using X as well. It’s a really strange design decision. I would at least expect a separate button for using a power-up.

3. Jockie says:

Anyone else getting a little tired of this ‘retro genre + rogue-like’ subgenre that seems to have emerged lately?

That’s probably because it’s fucking awesome.

4. trjp says:

First thought – ANOTHER pixelart dungeon crawler :(

Then watches video – and smiles

Then notes it’s basically a twin-stick shooter in a dungeon and remembers that doesn’t always work

Then realises it’s worth trying the demo.

more news at 11 I guess…

• trjp says:

Update; I really rather enjoyed the demo, yeah it’s a bit no-brainer but I suspect the difficulty is there (by the time you’re at the end of the demo, your weapons aren’t insta-killing things – some tactics are needed).

Problem is that BUYING it requires the use of Fastspring and I’m not going there – they demand allsorts of details they don’t need (address, phone etc.) just to send your over to PayPal – nope, sorry, not playing along with that one…

Maybe I should check-out the Android or iOS version instead then…

• jrodman says:

What if fastspring wants to phone you up to ask you to go to a nice brunch or music concert?

• frightlever says:

Competition is great and all but I’m not spreading my financial information around beyond Paypal or Google Checkout. I understand that Paypal has had some bad press but that doesn’t mean I want to trust an obscure payment processor with my financial details because they’re the only people the dev can get to work with them.

5. roguewombat says:

RL SHMUP. Or, Realm of the Mad God: Desktop Edition. Looks insane and fun.

• trjp says:

I need a Greasemonkey plugin to block mentions of that game – because every time someone mentioned it, I end-up losing loads of time

I’m like Muldur without the black oil or super-sexy-sidekick ;)

• roguewombat says:

lol, awesome. Yeah, I bowed out quite a while ago but had a ton of fun with it in its infancy. Even built the Drupal site powering their community before they switched off to Kabam. : D

6. golem09 says:

I hate how indie-gamenames nowadays are just generic descriptions of what they are. It’s not witty anymore.

7. Graedient says:

I’ve been playing this guy’s games on Android since he started making them, they’re very good. The one button approach may be because of this.

I will be checking this out.

8. noom says:

Red warrior shot the food?

9. golem09 says:

Tried the demo now, and I don’t get the game. You keep X pressed and run through the dungeons. Were there enemies? Was there loot? I didn’t notice, because all I had to do was run from A to B. Keeping X pressed all the time is not enough interaction for me.

10. DrMcCoy says:

My first reaction when I read the website was “Ugh, Java”. But I’m a programming languages snob.

• trjp says:

Do tell us what Java’s issues are from the PoV of someone playing a game (as opposed to the sort of nonsense programmers shouldn’t care about but do??)

Also, whilst you’re at it, illustrate the other options you have for making minimal-hassle multi-platform games without paying licence fees

Oh – and – Minecraft…

• DrMcCoy says:

Memory. Java is a freaking memory hog and the default behaviour of the garbage collector is bullshit.

For a minimal-hassle multi-platform game, I’d go with C++ and SDL. Then again, I am “old-school” that way. Also, a GPL-fetishist, but that’s only tangential here. *shrug*

And don’t start me on Minecraft… ;)

• trjp says:

From the PoV of the player I said ;)

• DrMcCoy says:

Well, when I’m out and about with my 2005 laptop that has only 1GB RAM, Java doing shit with my memory is something that does impede me as a player.

• DrMcCoy says:

But of course, I also don’t like Java from a programmer’s PoV, that’s what mainly colours my perspective here. :P

• trjp says:

erm – a 2005 laptop with 1Gb RAM is going to have issues with a LOT of stuff – let along just Java.

*looks at his pile of laptops ‘just’ too good to scrap and sees many such laptops* :)

• trjp says:

and also – C++ and SDL won’t get you onto mobiles will it (possibly maybe with some faffery?)

• DrMcCoy says:

I admit, I have no real clue about mobile devices. But ScummVM seems to do alright on iOS and Android, from what I can see.

And SDL2 has apparently official Android support now, with OpenGL ES and everything.

• BTAxis says:

You wouldn’t believe the amount of issues I’ve had with Minecraft because of Java.

• trjp says:

I don’t get this at all – I am (or rather was) a Java developer which means I generally make multiple JVM and JDKs installed and despite that, Minecraft has always, pretty much, worked for me!?

• jamesgecko says:

A lot of Minecraft’s issues are less because of Java and more because it has a number of questionable design decisions. When 3rd party mods dramatically improve game performance by managing chunks differently and not rendering distant areas you can’t see? It’s probably a sign that the game wasn’t written as well as it could have been to start with.

• trjp says:

Oracle’s acquisition of Sun (and thus Java) was the worst thing that’s every happened to Java, but to be clear – from a game player’s perspective, the security issues are not really an issue.

Assuming you trust the game developer (and that issue applies to any developer with ANY software) and you don’t actually download and run other Java applications (and don’t use the Java plugins which few people bother with nowadays?) – you’re fine.

• jamesgecko says:

People “don’t bother” with the plugin? Not so much. The Java installer automatically adds itself to everything. Chrome disables it by default, but other browsers do not.

If you don’t manually disable it and you’re running IE or Firefox, when you visit a malicious site, very bad things happen without warning. I had thought that we were past that point with modern browsers, but noooo. (Actually, Firefox might warn you now, but I don’t think that it warns you in conjunction with viewing a page and blocking the plugin like Chrome does.)

A few months ago a family member received an email from someone on their contact list containing nothing but a strange link. They promptly clicked on it and trashed their operating system, of course. Careful examination of the page source revealed nothing but a Java applet embed. *sigh*

• jrodman says:

Well one problem that probably is indirectly related is the failure to reasonably support gamepads, which this game cries out for. Sure C++ doesn’t make that sort of thing trivial, but there are libraries that do.

11. Bobtree says:

Screen shaking :(

12. abbieray says:

what Cynthia replied I am alarmed that any one can
    earn $7070 in 1 month on the internet. see here ……………http://www.pick85.com/

13. The Master Chief from Halo says:

The art style and gameplay looks a ton like Wasteland Kings.

Their Gunslugs game looks a ton like broforce, even with the star-and-eagle emblem and “80s action hero spoof” characters

Their Meganoid looks a ton like Spelunky

So who are these OrangePixel people and why do their games look so much like other games?

Not to say any of these games are bad, but why’d they go out of their way to copy multiple aspects of other indie games?

Comment on this story