Let’s Play With Your Mind: The Stanley Parable Trailer

By Craig Pearson on September 12th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Beautifully boring.
This Stanley Parable trailer is definitely my favourite game trailer of the second Wednesday Thursday (this post was written yesterday, time fans) of September of the year 2013. The developer has embraced popular culture and asked Youtube game talker-over Chilled Chaos to make one of those Let’s Play things, but all is not as it seems. Watch as the boring corridors slowly lull the gabbing gamer into a comfortably mundane meandering. In that mindset, when the walls of a corridor become the warm centre of the universe and everything is recognisable and safe, change can send a man mad. It’s really funny.

This is to semi-celebrate the beginning of the end of development of the narrated, multi-pathed adventure game. We’ll all be wandering these corridors in October, though there’s no date set. You might as well just block out the entire month on your calender just to make sure. Birthdays, dates, concerts, funerals can all be discarded. We have this to look forward to.

Wonderful. If I were Gabe Newell, and I’m sadly not, I’d hire this guy to episodically expand the Portal series. Think of all hidden areas of Aperture Science we could be wandering?

The mod is still available to download if you’re eager to experience the inception of the series.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Ansob says:

This is the game I’m most excited about for what’s left of this year. Actually, this and the Deadliest Warrior expansion for Chivalry, but this more so.

It’s worth checking out all the other videos under their YouTube account, as they’re even funnier.

• Ny24 says:

Yeah me too. I can’t wait to play something with choice again. And something about narrative in games. And something with intelligence and humor and walking. To say it with the words of this year’s E3: DAMN I’M PUMPED!

2. gunny1993 says:

Can we put peddiwedi (or whatever) in one of those corridors and laugh at him? (With the sound off ofc)

3. Metalfish says:

Can we resurrect Douglas Adams to write some things for that lovely, sinister narrator man to read?

• gunny1993 says:

I love Stephen Fry, but this guy might just be a better voice for the hitchhikers’ guide.

Maybe the somewhat more sinister version of the guide that’s in book 5

• DrMcCoy says:

Bah! Peter Jones is the only proper voice for the guide.

• gunny1993 says:

Was he the one who did the old t.v series or the radio show?

• Didden says:

Didn’t he do the voiceover for Startopia by Muckyfoot (Read that as the guys behind the new Syndicate)

• DrMcCoy says:

William Franklyn, who did the Startopia voiceovers, took over from Peter Jones when the BBC produced the continuation of the H2G2 radio play 25 years later, based on book 3 to 5.

The reason being, of course, that Peter Jones had died in 2000.

• Berzee says:

William Franklyn! I know that name; he was a Sexton Blake.

• Josh W says:

No the true voice of the guide is me reading to my brother! (By my histories anyway)

4. DrScuttles says:

Not using Half-Life 2′s old and run down City 17 corridors appears to make a big difference to the atmosphere of this. Almost makes me wish I hadn’t already played it in mod form.

5. basilisk says:

I still prefer the absolutely wonderful Raphael trailer, but this guy makes some lovely videos indeed.

6. sinister agent says:

Ha! Joke’s on you, narrator-and-possibly-god, because I’m not sitting; I’m reclining. There’s a cat on me and everything.

• The Dark One says:

That was just to lull you into a false sense of security. You failed to notice that the narration was coming… from your cat.

• Merus says:

Your cat is British and has very strong opinions on your role in an interactive story apparently

7. Jackablade says:

So what are we looking at here? Is it a polished up version of the story told in the mod or something new?

8. strangeloup says:

Looking forward to this :) I really loved the mod, and wrote to the creator to express my thoughts on it, and he wrote back with enormous encouragement — at the time I’d just started my first forays into making games as a sort of ‘bedroom coder’. Not that I’ve got much further than ‘just starting’ since then, but still, there’s a good few indie devs out there that are really supportive and good guys to talk to.

9. Viroso says:

Quick! List how many games used a smooth voiced fancy talking older sounding male narrator. I’ll start:

LittleBigPlanet

10. TimePointFive says:

Oh how I loved the mod. It is very important to me that this still has the source console available. Noclip made for good fun in the original.

11. beema says:

So, is every good HL2 mod now going to be re-released as a retail game now? I’m kind of not liking that trend.

• Distec says:

Mods are pretty much all going to be limited in their size, scope, and quality without some kind of funding. I know there are exceptions to this, like the BMS mod. But you have to consider that an anomaly and remember that almost nobody thought it was going to see the light of day. Since a lot of these modders end up getting industry jobs any way, is it so bad if they want to give another go at a pet project they loved?

I’d be happy to spend money on good remakes of so many classic mods I’ve played over the years. And it’s not like I can expect them to make “HD Upgrades” for free.

• Lemming says:

I’m sure anyone ever who likes to design mods disagrees with you. It’s the dream.

12. RagingLion says:

I’m so excited about this coming out. And the sense of humour and philosophy of the creator just perfectly hits my sweet spots.

13. MrUnimport says:

Instead of throwing money at a retail remake (if that’s what this is) can’t we just pool our cash together and hire the actor to read a text of our collective choosing? I mean let’s be frank, that’s why we’re all here.