One List To Rule Them All: IndieCade 2013 Nominees

By Craig Pearson on September 12th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!
According to my phone’s GPS, Google Maps, a quick check of my immigration status (I am currently not being beaten nor threatened), and my own keen observations involving my fridge, I can confirm that I am not in Los Angeles. It means I can’t be part of IndieCade 2013′s glorious festival of games next month. As a treat, for all those not in that part of the world, they’ve released the list of games nominated for the award ceremony. It is lonnnnng and full of games. We might not be there in practice, but our spirits can at least get a few drinks in. A few PC highlights are below.

I’m very happy it reminded me of Cubehearts’s Scale, a first-person game with this wonderful proposition: “Scale gives players a tool for uncovering the secrets and hidden beauty of everyday objects. Experience the impossible joy of growing and shrinking with a simple handheld device. Everything can be scaled: world, objects, creatures, and inhabitants. Discover secrets within secrets within secrets”. Yes. When can I play this?

Lovely space platformer thing Gravity Ghost, a game about the joy of being a ghost swooping around the gravitational pull of planets, is worthy of its place in this list. I have a build and it’s delightful. It’ll be out this year, hopefully.

In the “I’m staring at it and still not believing it” category that I’ve just invented for this game, there’s Dominique Pamplemousse. It’s a stop-motion adventure game. A musical adventure game. With singing.

And, of course, there is Nidhogg. There is always Nidhogg.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. dagudman says:

The last video is private…

2. Viroso says:

At first I wasn’t caring much about Scale, then I saw an interview where the developer says they’ve got Dale from A Lesson is Learned, talked about how so many first person indie puzzlers try to be like Portal, like how they’re all “oh look how clever I am with this puzzle I created” and the way Scale was going away from that, instead being more like Mario 64 or Legend of Zelda, how the story is about this woman who destroys all of the west coast because nobody believes her or something.

At this point I went from ignoring the game to being interested in it, then the developer started making sound effects with his mouth and I was sold.

3. Martel says:

Scale looks cool but he sure didn’t seem that excited about it.

• Reapy says:

It’s like the programmer’s grumble… keeps seeing everything wrong, each thing you see wrong is like +1 week of work, it can be very depressing to use your own software sometimes.

Still it seems to be an idea looking for a game. I’m not sure scaling is novel enough to be a primary mechanic. Maybe if it gets a touch more radically different as you scale or shrink it, like he has the weight of an object changing, but maybe its properties like it will crumble and fall apart and turn into another material, or you shrink down a bunch of large objects into a huge ball of potential energy that will create some explosive results.

Just skimming through the video it’ll probably have to get away from puzzle game idea. Portal worked as a puzzle game due to the joy of figuring out how portals worked + the production and story around it, while scaling up and down isn’t as exciting as your first portal jump.

• GameCat says:

I like it very much. For example, idea of enlarging whole level so I can walk through that tiny crack in the wall is awesome.

• Viroso says:

It’ll get away from the puzzle idea, I guess. I mean in an interview that guy said he didn’t want his game to be like Portal, the same way a ton of other indie puzzle games are like Portal. Also there’ll be other abilities, there’s one that changes perspective and like stretches the entire world, something weird like that.

4. Shih Tzu says:

Woohoo, Save the Date! :D

• Skabooga says:

I was quite pleased to see it too! It had my favored ratio of absurdity and introspection.

• Shih Tzu says:

Well, I was also pleased to see it because (FULL DISCLOSURE ALERT) I’m in the credits for it! The dev is a cool and rad dude and I’m super thrilled he gets to go and mingle with the other outstanding nominees.

• djbriandamage says:

I really liked this game. I didn’t have the patience to see all the endings but the premise is very captivating and equal parts silly and serious.

5. goettel says:

Scale “needs Rift & Hydra/STEM support” is a terribly boring comment, but Scale REALLY needs Rift & Hydra/STEM support.

6. djbriandamage says:

Although the Indiecade admission review process is a little questionable I’m really really glad to find Dominique Pamplemousse on here. “Plucky” is my word to describe it. It’s utterly adorable and breaks exciting new ground while sticking to a familiar format. It’s so worth the few bucks for the spectacle alone, but it has much more than that. I particularly like how everyone is a little uncomfortable with the protagonist’s androgyny except for the protagonist.