Blue Estate Is A Motional Fringe Game

By Jim Rossignol on September 13th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Blue Estate is a “dark comedy shooter” (but aren’t they all, in a way?) based on the comic, and designed to show off the Leap Motion controller. Leap Motion, in case you aren’t familiar with it, is a hand-tracking system, not unlike the good ol’ Kinect. Anyway, what’s interesting about Blue Estate is that you play Tony Luciano, a gangster with a black mop of greasy hair, and that hair occasionally flops in front of your face. Which suggests you must need to brush back your fringe with hand motions in the game? The trailer and other promotional clutter doesn’t make that requirement clear, but surely it MUST be the case. And if not WHY NOT.

Mmm.

It’s not clear when this is getting a release, but presumably it’s free with Leap Motion. Leap Motions are available now and cost $80.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Bostec says:

Get a hair cut.

• 00000 says:

Buy the DLC.

• Odessa14 says:

I’m making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it.
      Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do,

W­W­W.C­N­N­1­3.C­O­M

2. pupsikaso says:

Mhm… because EVERYBODY wants to stick their hands at their monitor and pretend they are firing guns, right? That’s pretty cool even though you’re not a child anymore?

Not to mention that mimicking the rubbing motions as if cleaning your gun is soooo high tech and futuristic, who WOULDN’T want to wave their hands infront of their screen, obsuring most of it at the same time?

• Lord Byte says:

Not to mention after 20 minutes your arms will fall off or you’ll want’em to fall of!

• darkChozo says:

Eh, not really, at least so long as you can perform the classic “elbow on knee” maneuver. Metroid Prime 3 would have been hell if I couldn’t play for more than 20 minutes at a time.

• Lord Byte says:

That’s how I play the shooting games on my PS3, but this one might require you to wipe hair out of your face, and I doubt a PC gamer has the space to rest the gun that low, meaning arms above your desk (elbows resting on the desk possibly) which is a lot more tiring!

3. aliksy says:

Does not look like $80 of novelty fun for me.

4. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

HAIRFACE!

5. crowleyhammer says:

If I cant slap that pole dancers arse with my real/virtual hand they can shove their $80 controller up theirs!!!

6. Shooop says:

Something very important to note, the Leap Motion controller isn’t one actually.

More like those fancy Waccom monitors.

• Diziet Sma says:

It’s absolutely nothing like those, more like an accurate kinect that faces the ceiling and is much much smaller.

It’s a small white rectangular box with a black top. You connect it via USB and (IMO) it’s best placed just in front or behind of your keyboard depending on your sitting position. If you imaging a wide angled cone of space above said box that is where it can detect the position and movement of your fingers/hands.

Given the software I think it could work brilliantly (the leap, not this game), at the moment I think the tech is OK the software just needs to catch up/get patched.

• King_Rocket says:

Fair assessment it’s more a “Air Tablet” than any sort of useful game controller. Maybe they can fix it, maybe not.

• Josh W says:

It’s pretty minority report actually, I was playing with it in quite bad lighting conditions, and it still felt really cool to be swiping things round in 3d. It has all the problems of a touch interface made more extreme; “no tactile feedback”, “I forgot that was a gesture”, and “I can’t see the screen”, but it is also amazing how it lets you interact naturally with 3d space.

If someone puts a turn based homeworld on it, I will be a very happy man.

In terms of this game though, can’t say, I used it in a room that was throwing it off, so I can’t tell how accurate it will be.

7. G-Lord says:

I get a strong Red Steel vibe…

8. abbieray says:

My Uncle Evan just got Nissan GT-R Coupe from only workin part time on a pc at home… check over here …………..http://www.pick85.com/

9. Navagon says:

I think that this one will boil down to how reliant it is on its novelty controller to make it stand out.

10. UnH says:

So, it’s a hand simulator like the Tresspasser?

11. BobbleHat says:

Well no matter how cool the game looks (which it might, if I got to actually see any of it) it just feels like something I’ll never get to play as it’s used to advertise a stupid, gimmicky Kinect-alike controller. So it’s basically just a thing I just watched.

12. racccoon says:

I’m lost.

13. vivlo says:

Guys. Stop spitting at the keap motion. It’s actually great, both in precision and how it feels controlling things wiht that thing. Though it might not be best suited for games.

Comment on this story