SPIDERS EVERYWHERE: Metro’s Developer Pack DLC

By Nathan Grayson on September 13th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Yep, the entire ceiling is *definitely* made of spiders right now.

What’s the deal with game developers and spiders? I’m actually working on a podcast-ish feature thing that tackles that very subject (it’s been quite enlightening so far!), but for now I will sum up my findings in a brief, easily parsed expression of unbridled terror: EWWWEWWWWEWWWW. And also this for good measure. Metro: Last Light’s “Developer Pack” DLC continues gaming’s heartfelt, eight-legged embrace of arachnophobia with a horrific-sounding Spider’s Lair solo mission. Also, it includes a bunch of a fun developer tools (think AI battlefields, etc) for you to toy around with. This, I assume, is merely a distraction so that the spiders can sneak up behind you and lay eggs in your hair.

Spiders spider spiders spiders spiders spiders spiders. Also spiders:

“Awaking unarmed, with only your lighter and compass, you must escape the murky depths of the Spider’s Lair – a forsaken Missile Silo that has become infested with arachnids. Light and fire become your weapons – the latter provided by a new addition to the Metro arsenal, the hand-pumped Flamethrower.”

“The Spider’s Lair is pure survival horror, Metro style – it combines all of our limited resource mechanics to pile pressure on the player. You’ll be frantically wiping gore from your cracked mask, and hunting for spare filters as your oxygen ticks relentlessly down. The flamethrower’s fuel tank needs to be constantly cranked to maintain pressure, and you’ll need your torch on full beam at all times…”

The developer pack part of the, er, Developer Pack, meanwhile, reworks a bunch of actual dev tools into a big playground for your amusement. Want to pit various AI beasties against each other? Go for it. There’s also a shooting range with every weapon in the game (and a new one), plus a museum that lets you take an up-close-and-personal look at various elements of the game sans the risk of them, you know, killing you.

The Developer Pack will be out on September 17th, which is next week for the date-impaired/man-shaped-amalgams-of-spiders-in-trench-coats among you. After that will come the story-based “Chronicles Pack” at some point in the future. It’ll feature Pavel, Anna, and Khan, and Ulman on crazy, kooky, mysterious, and spooky adventures that tie up loose ends from Artyom’s adventure.

For now, though, spiders! Spiders spiders spiders spiders spiders spiders spiders spiders.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Anthile says:

Your keyboard is now also made of spiders. Lose 1d6 sanity.

• Gap Gen says:

It’s not all that bad, I only have thousands of baby spiders streaming out from underneath the keys and onto my body.

2. JR says:

Each of these DLC packs have sounded really interesting, and even though I’ve yet to finish the game I’m really tempted to pick up the Season Pass.

Also Spiders.

• Luringen says:

Faction pack’s reich mission is not fun (stand still and shoot a minigun/sniper/grenade launcher, can’t move more than 3×3 meters), the commie mission is decent (sneak around with silenced guns and sniper) and the ranger mission is good (search for valuables, survive ambushes and upgrade your stuff before exploring some more).
      Tower pack is decent, it’s just a wave-based shooter in small areas.
      This pack looks awesome though.

• JR says:

Yea I feel like each one has been slightly more interesting then the last. Even though the Tower pack is just an arena shooter I love how it’s presented in-world with a system-shock-y colour of paint.

Also that concept art with the guy and all the wires connecting to his glasses looks amazing. Yes I am admitting to buying something just on a single concept art image.

• fitzroy_doll says:

That Reich Heavy mission was particularly terrible, but the Ranger mission was excellent.

3. LionsPhil says:

True fact: for some reason, last night I dreamt of wasp larvae chewing their way out of a writhing spider.

There are worse things than our arachnid friends.

(I think my brain is trying to give me a gentle step-down from some of the horrors I see from the legacy Perl codebase at work.)

4. zain3000 says:

Sounds too scary. I think I’ll play a nice relaxing game of FTL… speaking of which… FTL steam key up for grabs:

QYTDE-HPG0J-8Z89Q

5. Bushcat says:

The cat just left jimmy savilles dressing room/Got tasered.
    O and don’t forget to get Arma 3 :)

6. orange says:

YAY flamethrower :D
    And this is the first game that I’ve bought the “season pass” for and so far the DLC has been pretty good. Didn’t like the tower DLC though which was the one I was really looking forward too; I guess it wasn’t what I expected and it was way too hard.

But the one thing that really pisses me off is that between all the different DLC levels and the campaign there is only a single autosave file. Now that is completely unacceptable. If you’re part way through the campaign and want to play the DLC or want to try different DLC’s at once you cannot as you will lose progress. Seriously WTF?

7. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

As much as I hated and feared the spiders in Last Light, they were the most satisfying addition to the game (except perhaps for the visor-wiping). They were the only enemy that you needed to do more than shoot to defeat (although you could do that, if you had loads of bullets to waste), and they didn’t just run right at you like the others. They came at you from the sides and from behind (and sometimes from above), while scuttling out of the light of your headlamp. Fighting them involved consideration of where you were standing and where the walls were far more than how many bullets you had in your gun.

In some ways it was more herding than fighting.

I don’t think they used the spiders half as much as they might have in the main game, so I’m looking forward to this DLC.

8. neems says:

I basically bought the Season Pass just to support the developers, having enjoyed the main game so much. Slightly problematic however is the fact that having been a while since I played, and using Ranger Hardcore mode, I cannot remember any of the controls / mechanics.

Also that save game issue is extremely annoying.

Hopefully the dev tools thingy will have an option to wander around the surface environments without worrying about filters.

9. Prokroustis says:

Spiders in first person games have been game breaking bugs since Thief for me.

10. guygodbois00 says:

Vultures, vultures everywhere!

11. buzzmong says:

I hope along with this DLC they give people the option to turn off hit markers outside of easy mode and actually let you skip all the intros and go straight to the main menu.

I really want to like the game, but some of the items on the PC version that’ve made it over from console land are the specific ones that really make me grind my teeth.

12. abbieray says: