Squeeelite: Elite: Dangerous Orchestral Trailer

By Craig Pearson on September 13th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

*crump*
There’s not a synapse in the rational part of my mind that believes that Elite: Dangerous could possibly look this good, but the rest of my body thinks that that part of my mind is snobby and doesn’t invite it to parties. I just distracted it with Facebook posts from the people I grew up with so the rest of me could be wowed by the ‘Damocles’ video. The video below is the visualisation that Frontier sent to potential composers, who had to add a score to back-up the action. They’ve released the video with the winning composer’s contribution. You must take it in. It’s what eyes and ears were built for.

Well done, Erasmus Talbot. You have managed to impress me and (more importantly) Frontier with your swooping orchestral score. You’re also leading the Elite series away from the classical, pre-scored tracks into the scary world of bespoke music, which I’d be terrified of. I think it works rather well alongside the brilliant space battle.

As for the video: WOW! I had to stop myself from pledging another chunk of money. That said, I am putting on weight, and a month of foraging for food would probably help me appreciate where it comes from. It’s really an investment in my long-term health.

It’s out 2014 and I might just hibernate until then.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. wodin says:

Lovely..started to get excited about this. Elite on my Dads BBC B was the first game that grabbed hold and wouldn’t let go..until over a years worth of play saved on a cassette got chewed by the tape player!! My first major game rage.

This looks great.

• Odessa14 says:

I’m making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it.
      Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do,

W­W­W.C­N­N­1­3.C­O­M

2. Choca says:

Now let’s hope that the actual game looks as cool as this.

Doubtful, though.

RaveTurned says:

Looks as good should be easy on a PC with a half-decent graphics card.

*Plays* as good, that’s another thing all together.

• geldonyetich says:

My thoughts as well. Reminds me a bit of the Mechwarrior V trailer: very cinematic, but does the actual game play anything like that? Probably not. (In the case of Mechwarrior V, the game it was made for turned out to be vaporware, and Mechwarrior Online is only a pale imitation.)

• jrpatton says:

“(In the case of Mechwarrior V, the game it was made for turned out to be vaporware, and Mechwarrior Online is only a pale imitation.)”

MechWarrior V was rebranded as MechWarrior: Online, and it plays a lot like the trailer, minus the destructible buildings. You have UAVs, and all of those mechs and weapons. Plays like a real mech simulator.

• airmikee99 says:

It’s always easy to spot the people that haven’t played MWO.

melnificent says:

Agreed. So far we’ve had a multiplayer unity demo (once), artist renders and now prerendered video. That release date is looming pretty close (December for Alphas, March 2014 for release) and we’ve not seen anything that even looks like a game coming together.
      Where’s the ingame footage? We’ve got these screenshots, they’re in game honest. We remember the wire frame elite, and know what placeholders look like, so why hide the “work” that’s being put into dangerous?

9 months since closing the kickstarter and there are lots of videos of podcasts and Braben talking infront of a slideshow of artist impressions. Any other kickstarter would have the “What is going on? where’s the ingame stuff?”, but as we all have elite nostalgia (me included), it gets a pass from most.

I’m hoping it gets released on time, and is good. But with how things are going I’m expecting it to be at least 6 months late (if at all), and be distinctly average

• InternetBatman says:

It’s weird. After looking at it, it looks like some parts were touched up using post-processing and some parts were not. The part inside the ship looks pretty cool though.

• Fataleer says:

Given some AA artifacts and modest quality of textures, I would say that the reason why it looks so good is fluidity of movement. If combat and ftl travel is controlable and fluid as in this trailer, I am excited for that!

Now for the rest of the game…. trader, freelancer, explorer or focused storyline? coop? persistent mp?

3. Wednesday says:

That looks bloody great.

I love trailers. I enjoyed SWTOR all the more for never playing it.

4. Fomorian1988 says:

Thank God Craig posted this one – Nathan might’ve had a heart attack from overexcitement.

Anyway – this looked just gorgeous.

tikey says:

Can you pilot a Cap Ship? I need to know that, it’s of the utmost importance.

• Sathure says:

Not sure about Elite, but you can in SC.

• Rich says:

I’d rather you captained one and told it where to go and which batteries and support ships should shoot at what.

• ruzvelt says:

What I’D like is to pace on the bridge ponderously, and, after a moments reflection upon receiving the news of the horrid state of affairs to ask “Suggestions?” The crew would answer with various options , each brimming with their personality imbued in them and then I’d tell them to do what the android said we should.

• Cellamen says:

I want to go to there

• Werthead says:

You also need to ALWAYS ignore the warning of your curiously-foreheaded security chief/tactical officer even if he’s been proven right on 175 previous epis…er, missions.

• InnerPartisan says:

The Bor… I mean, the *Thargoids* have neither honor nor courage. *That* is our greatest advantage.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

Star Citizen capitals are multi-person ships. You can have AI teammates to man the guns and such if you want but they’re intended to be operated by a crew of people.

And they have walkable interiors, of course.

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a “pace ponderously” button.

• jon_hill987 says:

Like an updated Bridge Commander? Sounds like a good idea to me.

6. Freud says:

I get a X-Wing/Tie Fighter vibe from this, which is a good thing.

7. SupahSpankeh says:

I can find no mention of this elsehwere, but I presume form the freelook that this video was made with Oculus Rift?

Also, I hope there’s scope for single player exploration/trading. This trailer looks a bit set piece, which is OK I suppose but I was hoping to trade my way into massive haulers and eventually buy the galaxy.

• Zenicetus says:

Could be TrackIR (which I really hope it supports), but I suspect it might just be a programmed camera move for rendered CGI, and not in-game. It looks a little too smooth for TrackIR.

What I like about this clip is the impression of relative speed when you’re piloting a fighter. It feels FAST… something the best cockpit-level space games get right (Freespace, I-War), and others fail miserably at (X3 series). Now let’s just hope the actual game looks and plays like that.

• Dozer says:

Don’t use TrackIR. Use FreeTrack or FaceTrackNoIR (which also works with IR nowadays). They’re not anticompetitive patent trolls like the TrackIR manufacturers. Also much cheaper.

Wisq says:

Regardless of what TrackIR may or may not be doing with their patents, please don’t conflate them with real patent trolls.

The trolls are the ones who collect patents, never actually sell anything, and just snipe at companies who are actually doing something good with them. Whereas AFAIK, TIR have patents and they’re releasing products under those patents, which is pretty much what the patent system was meant for.

Going around declaring that everyone who (ab)uses their patents is a “patent troll” just muddies the issue and makes it harder to address the bigger problem.

• Bull0 says:

I assume it was made with the “camera scripting”

8. SaintShion says:

I’m not sure if the actual combat looks that good. When the pilot guns down the enemy fighter at :58 the sound and graphics feel floaty and pewpew. When you shoot weapons in space sims, the weapons need to feel powerful, and I didn’t get that from this video. On the other hand, the game’s graphics look great, and the cockpit does have a immersive feel.

I’ll wait to see what the rest of the game looks like. Is it X-wing style mission to mission, or is it a sandbox like the X series, or something in between? I’ve never played any of this series, so I’ll have to investigate further. With X4 on the horizon and looking even more amazing than this, we’ll have to see if the combat is more fun in this game.

• Werthead says:

The general idea in ELITE is that you fly around the Galaxy – and by ‘the Galaxy’ they actually mean ‘the Galaxy’, 100+ billion star systems and all – making money by trading, mining or blowing stuff up. You can pursue commercial or military career paths, take passengers on long trips etc. You can fly small, nimble fighters, medium all-rounder ships (like the series stalwart, the Cobra Mk. III) or larger, heavier ships. In the previous games you couldn’t pilot capital ships, though that’s something they are looking at for this game. In the second and third games you could also fly right down to the surfaces of planets, land at starports, engage in atmospheric combat or engage in mining. Apparently that’s also in the fourth game but as a later release.

The X series, and EVE ONLINE for that matter, are very heavily influenced and inspired by the ELITE games. ELITE isn’t just a sandbox game, it’s THE original sandbox game (as well as being one of the first proper 3D games).

9. AlmostPalpable says:

Looks pretty good to me, a lot better than anything I’ve previously seen. Almost suspiciously better, in fact.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

It’s probably a mock up of some sorts. Probably more an indication of what they want it to look like than anything else (the ships will look like that, at least).

10. Safewood says:

Bah, that is not how travelling at those speeds, where is close my to 360 degrees fov

11. Iskariot says:

I am so stoked for this game.
    I love the fact that it features a true open space recreation of our entire milky way. And the newsletters are filled to the brim with beautiful concepts and designs. I think this space sim is the real deal.

• Stardreamer says:

I love Braben’s quiet enthusiasm, his very academic attention to all the little details that he genuinely wants to include in his game. It’s like watching a Master teaching everyone how to paint.

12. Monkey says:

This is great, really great, flipping great, but i’d like to see the ships shooting chunks off each other, i want ship destructo physics. Thats right i’m never happy

Also, getting Babylon 5 vibes, which is a good thing.

13. Subjective Effect says:

Looks great but I never like the way the capital ships get so close to each other. They should be firing from miiiiiles away.

• RakeShark says:

Suppose you could explain the concern away by saying the ambusher was designed for close-in knife fighting while the ambushee is a range-specialized vessel (hence taking so long to spin up their guns and torps).

But then again the bottom line is visuals. Miles between high-poly capships might make more sense in space, but is boring to look at.

Gap Gen says:

Yeah, well humans in space fighters and capital ships that are visible at all are a stupid idea. It’s a game, and I ceased caring the first time I saw Star Wars. I would like a realistic attempt at space combat, perhaps something closer to submarine warfare, but until then zooming about going pew pew pew is fun too.

• Diatribe says:

Detection ranges in realistic space combat would probably be measured in astronomical units. How are you going to hide the heat of a spaceship against background heat of only a few Kelvin?

• NotQuiteDeadYet says:

The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman, is just about the only thing I’ve seen or read to have a “realistic” depiction of sci-fi space combat. And the point there is that ship-to-ship combat basically involves robots firing automated nuclear rockets at distances of several million kilometers. So its interesting from a fiction and thematic standpoint, but I bet it’d make for dull gameplay.

Gap Gen says:

(Mostly a reply to Diatribe) Depends how good you are at cooling your ships, or whether you can mask them to within the precision of the instruments you’re using; there are presumably ways to cool down important ships to near 3K. I admit I don’t know much about detecting solar-system objects, or what the sources of noise/error are, although I’d point out that asteroids can be hard to detect, which is the kind of size-distance we’re dealing with. I suspect the major issue is having a command ship, since otherwise you can just throw drones out there. One possibility is that you have a bunch of ships protecting the command ship, like a carrier strike group. Or you could hide your command ship near or on a planet or similar and hope that your drones have good enough automation to carry out long-distance missions. And this is without saying that technology could change all this, just as naval warfare in Roman times looks nothing like naval warfare now. But yeah, I’d be interested in what people think realistic space combat would entail.

I think this sort of game would be more interesting as a strategy game, rather than a shooter.

• Subjective Effect says:

I’d love a game based on the space combat in the Forever War.

SPOILERS

Fave bit: then they think they can outrun a missile whilst at lightspeed/hyperspace. But it is catching up and they realise that because of the effect of their speed on time they are actually fighting an enemy ship from the future!

• Werthead says:

Peter F. Hamilton’s NIGHT’S DAWN trilogy has great space combat as well, using drones that close and engage whilst their motherships are thousands of miles away. The drones are controlled by powerful AIs and decide what weapons and munitions to use. One of the advantages to this is that battles are not always lethal: if one ship’s drones are destroyed and the enemy’s punch through to threaten the ship directly, they have time to surrender since there is no way at all they can survive or win (though sometimes they can use the distraction of the fight to FTL jump away).

Alastair Reynolds’s REVELATION SPACE books feature a really great space battle between two ships travelling at about 99% lightspeed. It takes months and consists of one ship lobbing mines at the one behind it hoping to score a lucky hit, with the ship behind it weaving like a lunatic because they can barely see what the enemy ship is doing.

• NotQuiteDeadYet says:

Oh, oops, didn’t mean to post here.

• Asurmen says:

Not at all. Two ships 1 AU apart place their sensor data at around 16 minutes old, which is basically useless for range finding and targeting for unguided ballistic weapons. Ignoring exotic energy weapons leaves you with missiles, which will be detected and possibly intercepted long before reaching the target. A realistic fight would still be greater than the biggest naval battles, but no where near one AU

• jon_hill987 says:

Indeed. Chucking lumps of mass at something at high speed is a far more efficient way of destroying things than chucking energy (E=MC^2), you would need to be close for those shells to hit within 6 months.

Gap Gen says:

Lasers also don’t work that well at distance due to diffraction spreading out the beam.

• Dozer says:

If you’ve got a few weeks of your life you don’t mind losing, take a look at this site re realistic space warfare: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewarintro.php

Space combat would probably be more like a sniper duel but with lasers.

Be sure to read the article on what laser handguns would be like! (Basically they’d be like cameras, and when you fire them at someone, there’s a bang, but it’s from their precious bodily fluids explosively evaporating under the pulsed laser!)

• Saii says:

Interesting, though a lot of the conversation there still suffers from space opera syndrome I think. Unless you have ludicrous power streams lasers are gonna have a limited range to work with, while still being viable enough to make missiles all but obsolete.

Also there’s not actually a need for any dreadnoughts on the battlefield itself, they just make obvious targets – what you don’t want in is to chuck a load of high-value assets into one big, vulnerable chunk of space.

I’d reckon that the more likely course would be something like a cloud setup – swarms of individual semi-autonomous drones linked by a server mesh and handed generalised mission parameters from platforms which are themselves well behind the action and poised to flee at the first sign of a resolution to the conflict. The aim of each side being to wear down the enemy swarm until the platforms become vulnerable to being boxed in.

• Ernesto says:

You are talking about limited range with a light based weapon? That’s just silly. There is no attenuation to speak of in space. You will have a hard time focusing the beam in the right distance, though.
          And big ships are very much required to provide the necessary power plant and aperture diameter for such weapons.

Science-Fiction! Yeah ;)

• dE says:

I think the reason science fiction authors nowadays are stuck Twenty Minutes Into the Future, is because their fanbase turned into physics nerds trained by scientific Peer Review destroy-em-all mentality. You monsters.

• Saii says:

I don’t know enough about aperture tech/attenuation to know whether it’d be able to sustain massive distances through space, so was thinking in relatively small terms I guess – though over massive distances space ain’t as empty as all that, especially if it’s a war zone ;).

I didn’t say the drones would be small, just that you wouldn’t want to be toting the bulk of your modelling/scanning/number crunching/AI/human assets into a live battlezone. Basically I was thinking of a big cannon lashed to a big power source. The other win there is that when one of your 200 drones is catastrophically damaged you only lose one gun, as opposed to all 200 when that star destroyer you lovingly crafted using your one supermassive construction facility blows up. Plus you’re putting a much bigger strain on targeting computers by forcing them to focus on many small targets over one big one.

Edit: But dE if we don’t discuss these things how will they ever learn??

• Ernesto says:

It’s quite unfortunate. I wanted to be able to build the things I saw/read in sci-fi. Then I learned a lot and now most of the magic is gone and childhood heroes just look ridiculous when they theatrically swing their ‘light sabers’.

I can still enjoy sci-fi, but there is this annoying little man in the back of my head, quoting natural laws to prevent me from believing ;)

Gap Gen says:

Yeah, the effectiveness of lasers drops because of the Fraunhofer diffraction limit, where the ability to focus on something depends on the wavelength of the light and the size of the aperture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunhofer_diffraction (note: I sucked at optics at uni, so someone feel free to correct me on this)

Ernesto: I’ve learned to shut that voice in my head up. Nothing in my brain thinks that Star Wars is realistic, but it is a fun story. If it helps, think of sci-fi as fantasy rather than science fiction, Battlestar Galactica as Cold War steampunk, say.

• Werthead says:

This is – sort of – what the combat was like in ELITE 2 and 3: trying to score laser hits on one another from a couple of miles away or missile hits from tens of miles away, whilst trying to maneuver and orient in full Newtonian physics. It pretty much sucked, so hence they’ve gone back to the slightly more arcadey way it worked in the original ELITE.

As for realism, any SF franchise that uses jump points, hyperspace etc usually rationalises it by having ships jump right on top of one another and then engage in a short-range volley to get the benefit of surprise (STAR WARS, STAR TREK, BSG, etc). BABYLON 5 was good in that it had both lots of short-range combat and long-range, with ships firing energy mines and missiles from hundreds or thousands of miles apart as well as engaging in dogfights.

Gap Gen says:

Yes, I think the point is that humans would be quite bad at dogfighting in space, since if nothing else keeping meat alive in space would dramatically limit the performance of a fighting vessel, and computer chips can pull much higher Gs without turning into paste. Hell, I suspect that the next generation of manned fighter planes on Earth may be our last, before the drones take over most air combat. So for a sense of fun you’re going to have to do something fairly unrealistic, or invoke something like Dune’s “computers are the devil’s work” philosophy.

Wisq says:

Or you could hand-wave it away by saying there’s a G-force protection system keeping the meatbag alive.

Or make them drones controlled in first-person via instant FTL communications. If the latter doesn’t give it enough tension for your taste, you can go the old “if you’re killed while jacked in you go braindead” routine, or if you don’t want to deal with the real world at all, you go with the “your brain is semi-permanently hooked in to the drone and you don’t unhook (alive) unless you bring the drone home in one piece”.

Or use uploaded minds inside computers. (Which is already probably the most likely way we’re going to end up visiting the stars IRL anyway.) Having a meatbag back home to upload back into is optional, depending on what you want your fictional society to look like.

Or just say that the player is a computer.

This is sci-fi — there’s always a way around limitations. Which one you choose depends entirely on which limits you actually want to try to work within.

14. Apocalypse says:

Can I haz now?

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

So much teal and orange.

16. abbieray says:

like Micheal replied I’m impressed that a stay at home mom can make $9079 in four weeks on the internet. additional info ……………… http://www.pick85.com/

Gap Gen says:

Man, where was this video when they did the kickstarter?

18. Oathbreaker says:

Elite with massive graphics updates. I’m hoping they worked as much on the world and trading and a sandbox adventure with spacefights that’s easy to grasp and immersive. But I guess too many me-too features and graphics things instead of the moody, internally consistent and logical world that I grew up with in the old Elite games. Oh well, not looking all that promising. Guess I’ll wait for the reviews and a hopefully bug-free launch (lol, as if that happens these days).

Cinek says:

I don’t know… very uneven trailer.

In some scenes it looks great.

In other it’s more like cheap arcade shooter with poor graphics.

I’d love it to be a great game, but…. I’m still not convinced it’s worth any of my money.

20. Tei says:

Book of Evil.

Rule 445# If will never name a capitalship “Damocles”, or any version of that, because there will be a moment where the ship is hanging on top the planet my life depends on, and nothing will stop the planetcracker batteries from firing to the surface, even if I destroy the ship using a nova-laser.

Gap Gen says:

Or you’re just eating your dinner and BAM capital ship falls on your head as a political metaphor.

21. Greg Wild says:

Looks good.

Though I still want one of the number of space-sims coming out to handle their cap-ship battles a little more hard sci-fi.

El_MUERkO says:

In the concept art the ships had long exhaust trails, I know it’s a little thing but I’d love to see them in game, it’d give a greater sense of motion and look cool as hell!

23. Lemming says:

Woah!

Anyone else super-pleased they used British radio chatter in that trailer? Gave it an RAF, feel. :)

• Josh W says:

Yeah, me too!

• wodin says:

Yep..thank god a game without an American accent..or an American trying to do a British accent..

I liked the look of the speed of combat aswell..doesn’t look twitch at all…

24. Shodex says:

Obligatory:

Big Murray says:

Just thinking about playing this with the Oculus Rift is giving me a huge nerd-on.

26. NotQuiteDeadYet says:

So, this looks pretty cool and all, but I thought this site was pretty adamant about its “CGI and pre-rendered trailers are bullshit, give us gameplay” stance. What exactly makes this less worthy of the snark hammer than all those Assassin’s Creed and Watchdogs trailers?

27. Ulaxes says:

I’m happy I’ve backed this. Looks awesome!

28. Stevostin says:

Spaceships are the new zombies. This is hot.

29. racccoon says:

they need to make a movie.. then release real game footage.

30. Dominus_Anulorum says:

It still needs more oomph. Despite all the graphical progress we have made in the past decade, my pinnacle for space battle epicness is still homeworld 2. I know it is a different genre, but ship weapons felt like they were actually doing damage, not just pinging off the hull. It also had the best ship death animations by far. I would pause the game before a big cap ship exploded and watch it frame by frame. They do have weapons causing a noticeable impact on the ship hull in the trailer though, which homeworld does not really do, so they do get some things right in my book. I will watch this with interest.

31. guygodbois00 says:

“We have clearance, Clarence.” “Roger, Roger. What’s our vector, Victor?”

• PrinceKonami says:

Do you have an alcohol problem?

• guygodbois00 says:

No, not in the slightest. But I did get that “Airplane!” feeling somehow from the linked video’s radio chatter, if you are looking for an explanation.

Big Murray says:

He doesn’t have an alcohol problem. He has, however, seen a grown man naked.

• guygodbois00 says:

“Looks like I picked wrong week to quit drinkin’.”

32. Hunchback says:

Space sims are not my most favourite genre, but i can’t not be excited after seeing this…

33. nbringer says:

This looks fine, but for some reason I’m not impressed. It’s the same thing I saw countless times. I must be old…

34. LaKriz says:

I liked what I saw, not what I heard. The music sucks hairy donkey balls. If this really is the winning score, I wonder how bad all the others must have been.

• goettel says:

This.

Not all space battles require loud, brash fanfare’s, dutifully rehashed from Star Wars et al by craftsmen (as opposed to musical geniusses) with semi-pro libraries of classical sample library VST’s – no offense intended. There’s a long list of great, relatively unknown musicians out there who could turn a game from great to classic, with an ear for anything from extremely hard and dark music, to quiet, ambient sounds to silence – just look at (or rather listen to) some of the scenes in the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

Also, strong themes do not require bombast. If I listen to some of my favority soundtracks (the one for the Rome tv series springs to mind), what sticks with me are the masterfully composed and played little themes in the background, tied to character and mood. I couldn’t think of a single game coming close to that.

Rant off, it’s just dissappointing as hell to find it again with Elite. I’ve got $80 invested there, and I want it to be classic – not great.

35. Flakfizer says:

That looked utterly generic. What did any of that have to do with the Elite games of yore ..?

melnificent says:

Braben and space and…..that’s it really.

JamesTheNumberless says:

Not much… I think this Elite is more of a competitor to Star Citizen than a followup to Frontier. Personally I’m hoping that the co-op Star Warsy stuff is being emphasised now as part of the marketing strategy to get as broad an audience as possible interested but that there will still be core gameplay in there for people who just want Elite with a modern engine.

36. marsilainen says:

Let’s hope that they bring the original frontier theme back in some form. It sounds so.. enterprising and piratey!

• Lemming says:

I’d swear there was a slight audio cue to it when they strafe the capital ship.

JamesTheNumberless says:

The intro to Frontier is something I never got tired of watching – unfortunately the game never really played like that, they sacrificed fun combat for space physics. Trading until you got the biggest ship and could just ram everything else, was about the only way I ever enjoyed the game. Having said that, I did enjoy it immensely!

• Stardreamer says:

Ah, the simple joy of having a Panther laden with so many shields it could successfully Kinetic Harpoon a planet to death without even scuffing the paintwork. Shame it took a half-turn of the galaxy to go anywhere in it, though.

37. brkl says:

That music just shouts Generic Blockbuster Sci-Fi! at me. Ugh. Nothing in that video is what I’m hoping to see in a new Elite, although they’ll surely put out less combat-focused stuff later.

38. Caiman says:

Wow, what a whinging load of misery guts. I suggest you all sell yours PCs immediately and go do something more exciting with your lives like crochet, because clearly whole escapism and fun thing ain’t for you. There was a time when seeing stuff like this would have blown people’s minds, but now it’s all “meh” and “not what I wanted” or “I could have done better”. Well you know what, I’m tired of reading about your failure to find joy in your lives. Also, anyone who was really interested in this would have backed it, and so read the KS update where it’s pretty obvious that this was created with the sole purpose of giving musicians a scoring task to see who they liked the most. They openly admitted it was a combination of in-engine footage and post-processing, not necessarily reflective of gameplay but they thought it was too cool not to share. You can see the in-engine parts in there, it looks great, but yeah if it ‘s not abundantly clear that this is a bit of bombastic fluff to test the composer and not reflective of the entire game then you need to sit down and go have a nice cup of tea or something. Now, don’t I feel better? I do.

• dE says:

Dangit, I knew I forgot to fix something. Looks like the bile overflow valve just ruptured. I’m sorry for the mess on the floor folks, it contained highly acidic amountsof caiman haterage. It’ll take some time to cleanup. In the meantime please use subcorridor 7 alpha to bypass this section.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

“Well you know what, I’m tired of reading about your failure to find joy in your lives.”

If I were the kind to show approval with GIFs of people clapping, we’d all be wasting a lot of bandwidth right now.

Relevant?: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=aba_1332656862

• SAM-site says:

I like you. You can come to my birthday party.

Wisq says:

Much as I quite like the look of this (i.e. I’m not complaining!), I do wonder if we’ll ever see anyone try to put a different spin on space fighter combat rather than the usual “jets in space” thing.

If they’re not actually dancing and weaving around with the help of imaginary space air and pretending to be space jets, they’re sporting fancy computer systems that take your throttle input and ship heading and do their utmost to make things relatable for a human pilot … by pretending to be space jets.

Generally, the best we can hope for is a button to disable the engines and drift sideways (e.g. Wing Commander), so we can actually take advantage of the fact that (unlike a real jet) there’s no reason our nose needs to be pointing in the same direction as we’re travelling. If we’re really lucky, we get some manual thruster control and/or the ability to disable the limiter and go to any speed we want (e.g. Evochron).

What nobody ever seems to do is to think, logically, what sorts of manoeurvres or tactics might make sense for space combat. Or how you might use your ship’s jump / FTL drive tactically in a fight. (It’s almost always disabled, either because of location [in a gravity well, not at a jump gate, etc] or magical dampening fields.) Or how you might counter that. (Other than “disable it”.)

Better yet, I’d love to see a capship-style game that came up with new strategies and tactics in a similar fashion. Something like a submarine or naval simulator, where it’s as much about detecting the other ship(s) before they can detect you (and knowing what sorts of strategies you could employ to take advantage of that) as it is about keeping cool under fire and making the best of any given situation.

Right now, for all the space fighter games available to us throughout video gaming history, they’re pretty much all just “here’s a jet fighter game with 360 degrees of cloudless night sky and no gravity”. The game designers throw in whatever sort of handwavium technology they want, without ever thinking about how that might change tactics, or ship design, or society. They go out of their way to prevent the setting from affecting the gameplay. If you’ve got a jump drive that doesn’t need jump points, every fight must start with someone disabling it (or else it just has limitations that make it impractical in combat). If you’ve got a cloaking device, every fight must start with you decloaking (e.g. can’t fire while cloaked, or someone disables it). Nobody wants to push the boundaries and try something new. It’s all just formulaic Star Wars pewpewpew and imaginary-atmosphere space dogfighting. Which is okay for many games, maybe the vast majority of them. But can someone please just try something new?

I’m not looking for strict realism. I just want something different.

40. haowan says:

Terrible bland generic video that misses the point of Elite on every level. Why they chose this composer I have no idea. Turgid sci-fi crap.

41. Bine says:

I know about the whole explosions not working in space thing IRL. But I have a question. Why has a space game developer not done a no-sound-in-space thing? Instead, why cant we just hear the workings of our ship? Listen to the engines humming, various controls making noises as you pilot the ship. Someone gets hit nearby and you can hear the materials in space bouncing off your hull. Things like that. Might be dull but also quite… threatening. Think dead space and its oxygenless environments. No sound. The dread >.>

42. Chillz says:

That was a balls impressive trailer. Yes I mean that in a good way.

43. xf11 says:

Tracing bullets in space (lol); enemy letting you to kill it by stopping maneuvering (for some reason); all those cinematic flybys… no thnx, i see where this is going.