Jings! Mighty No. 9 Is More Than Kickstarted

By Craig Pearson on September 16th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Just like that time when I was a bairn and predicted the internet by placing our house phone on top of my Etch-A-Sketch (the Etch-A-Sketch had a scribble of a cat on it), I also predicted that Mighty No. 9 would easily achieve its Kickstarter goal. The side-scrolling action platform from Keiji Inafune, the creator of Mega Man, launched a hunt for crowd-funds just over two weeks ago, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to see how my prediction skills were doing. Wowsers. It currently sits at $2,173,615* of the $900,000 goal, and I’m now two for two prediction-wise. Now where’s my TV deal?

That amount drags the game past “Madesville” and into the uncharted lands of “Stretchtopia”. Generous backers have funded the basic game of shape-changing robotic platforming, and now have two more stages, Mac and Linux versions (it still tickles me that those were funded before the console versions), new game plus & turbo modes, a making of documentary, and boss rush mode. The funds are currently hovering just beneath PS3 and 360 versions. My new prediction is that those will be funded, and it’ll earn about four million. That should get us all an additional co-op mode, as well as currently unlisted treats.

Bonus! Here’s the panel where Mighty No 9 was first revealed.

*This will have changed by the time this is posted.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. alfred says:

my roomate’s mother makes $74/hour on the computer. She has been out of a job for 9 months but last month her check was $14943 just working on the computer for a few hours. Go Here
    ………………. http://goo.gl/G40gh3

2. InternetBatman says:

It’s just about hit the current generation of consoles in the stretchgoals. I’m hoping to see co-op.

On another note, we’re trying to get a community kickstarter ketchup going here, so you can see news like this:

3. dr.castle says:

As far as I can tell, RPS hasn’t posted about Megaman Unlimited.

People, if you are into Megaman at all, you owe it to yourself to check out Unlimited. I know it’s a free fangame, and I know that we all have an enormous backlog of paid games calling for our time, but you really shouldn’t miss MMU. It’s better than many of capcom’s official offerings (not only the more recent 9 and 10, but I’d put it above some of the excellent NES games as well). It’s right up there with Megaman 2 and 3–punishing but fair difficulty, perfect stage design, great music/graphics. Seriously.

• derbefrier says:

that looks fantastic thanks for pointing it out.

• Paul.Power says:

Haven’t played it, but I have watched a few different people stream it and it looks excellent. The artwork and music are gorgeous, and the enemy design is creative and full of personality.

The biggest complaint I’ve seen made about it though is that it’s a little too hard – not sadistically so, but a few too many instant deaths and very long levels that feel like they could probably use another checkpoint somewhere.

4. kwyjibo says:

It’s weird that the current-generation stretch goal is at $2.2M while the next-gen stretch goal is at $3.3M. I would have thought with next-gen’s embrace of indie, and it’s specs, and it’s straight forward x86 architecture would have made porting it a doddle.

Of course, you’ve got to take into account that no one has a next-gen console yet, but I essentially thought that port was free.

• darkChozo says:

IIRC, the reasoning is that the next gen consoles are new and the devs aren’t familiar with them, so even if they’ll be easier to develop for in the long run they’re risky now. I’d imagine the installed userbase of the existing consoles also plays a role.

• pupsikaso says:

Having two machines share a similar architecture doesn’t make it automatically an easy porting process. Developers rarely develop on the hardware level anyway. Consider two machines with identical hardware – one running on Windows OS and one running on Linux OS. Would that make porting a “doddle”?

• Baines says:

There is also Inafune’s concern about not screwing up. He wants to make a point of doing a Kickstarter right, including delivering on his own promises.

Adding support for more platforms means more work, more time, and more things that can go wrong. And people in general aren’t really sure what developing on the next gen systems is going to be like, what hidden troubles and costs might be in store. More money can help cover that risk.

• The First Door says:

Well, if you design the engine to be portable from the get go (yourself or by using the tools or libraries out there) then it’s not too bad. I wouldn’t go so far as ‘a doddle’, though.

• kwyjibo says:

Using cross platform libraries like OpenGL will make your job easier. The *big* problem with Linux is the fragmentation of distributions and driver support – this is not an issue for a next-gen console.

• Lemming says:

Personally, I’d think it weird that anyone backs it beyond the current gen console goal. Once the game is out and is selling on all the current formats, they’ll want to release the game on the newer consoles at some point any way. People shouldn’t feel the need to reach that stretch goal, IMO.

• InternetBatman says:

It’s being made in Unity, and they haven’t released next gen tools yet for Unity. That means that there’ll be some bugs in the tools, and some unique quirks of each console.

5. belgand says:

OK, I realize that you’re also getting a soundtrack, art book, and other things, but what’s with the recent trend of making instructions an additional tier of rewards? Simply being told how to play the game is now special and priveleged information? Playing a game without reading the manual ought to be punished by tar-and-feathering. Especially in these cases where you’re just receiving a digital copy. That also brings up their weirdness with having to choose between the English and Japanese versions of manuals and such for digital. It seems very odd to split things like that.

• hitnrun says:

I’m pretty sure the instructions are an extra tier for nostalgic rather than utilitarian purposes. People are paying extra for the gee-whiz experience of getting an instruction book with art and such and a box what like they got for Mega Man 3 what they got for Christmas when they were 7.

That’s also why there’s an option to get them in Japanese, when just above 0% of the people who will select that tier can actually read Japanese fluently: extra authenticity to show your friends.

I can wholly sympathize with these notions and might have embraced them myself before I reached my personal limit for extra-bonus-special-edition-game shit I don’t need a few years back. Oh, to be young again.

6. Pich says:

Meanwhile Shantae isn’t even half-funded :(

• Keyrock says:

Actually, it’s currently 74% funded. It will make its goal easily. I do wish it would get more attention, though, so it could hit more of its stretch goals. At its current pace it will likely finish somewhere around $700k.

• Apocalypse says:

From the makers of Duck Tales remastered does not sound that promising, honestly.

• Keyrock says:

A better indicator to go by would be the two already released Shantae games. Spoiler: They’re awesome.

• InternetBatman says:

They released the absolutely amazing Boy and His Blob. Wish it had made it to PC. I like the devs a lot, but I don’t think Shantae looks amazing.

7. pupsikaso says:

I had thought that by now, enthusiasm for old “nostalgic” games would have died down somewhat, but I guess I’m completely wrong.

But where does it stop and how much of the nostalgia is tied to older technology? For example, an older game had a particular look, feel, and interface due to technological constraints, and a remake on Kickstarter offers to replicate that same “look and fee” and even the interface, but do people *really* want it that way? What if some developers that used to work for Blizzard Or some developers that used to work for Westwood made a kickstarter for an RTS game, and made it looks like an RTS from the early ’90s? Would people really want a game like that?

• ChrisGWaine says:

I don’t see people asking for exact recreations. In general people want the new games inspired by old ones to look like how they remember perceiving them.

• Baines says:

Constraints can make a game more focused.

Also, Mighty No. 9 isn’t being sold as a retro 8-bit game. It is being sold as a modern pretty game with classic 8/16-bit Mega Man ideas. This isn’t Mega Man 9 or 10, which themselves were actually beyond what the NES could really do.

It is also being sold in a market where people want new Mega Man games, but Capcom refuses to deliver them.

• David Shute says:

If someone made an decent, deep modern RTS that looked exactly like a high-res Red Alert 1, I would buy it in a second.

Yeah, maybe a large part of that is nostalgia, but is that really a bad thing? Aesthetics are aesthetics – I find that graphical style very attractive – does it really matter why?

• freedomispopular says:

Obviously I can’t speak for others, but I’ve backed several “old school” games, not because of nostalgia — I actually never played any of the old D&D type games or a lot of the cult favorites from yesteryear — but because they’re games I want to play, and this is the only way they’re gonna be made. Sure, I’d love a completely modernized RTS, complete with high res visuals, but the fact is that kinda stuff costs a lot of money, money these indie devs just don’t have, and AAA publishers aren’t willing to fund stuff like this, at least not at this point in time. So I’m content to stick with “old school” graphics, even if they grossly underuse my hardware, because my chief priority is gameplay, and most of the creativity, innovation, and pure value right now is coming from indie devs.

• Lemming says:

This isn’t game nostalgia so much as it is people clamouring for a decent Megaman since the X series and Capcom not bothering to make one.

8. Mac_Phisted says:

Hey RPS, why did you not do any news on the fact that River City Ransom Underground’s kickstarter launched ?
    It’s a PC game and they’ve conatcted you… They’re also a bit struggling with donations because of lack of coverage I guess.

• Baines says:

River City Ransom Underground is getting coverage.

People are being cautious because:
      1) Of the developers listed, only the sound guys list real experience with delivering professional games.
      2) While it is officially “River City Ransom,” it isn’t a Nekketsu Kunio game. Even if Yoshihisa Kishimoto has a vague “creative consultant” description.
      3) The “grimdark” appearance (such as the run down street background, and the unshaven old guy looks to Alex and Ryan) is a turn-off for some.

One other issue is that unlike Mega Man/Mighty No. 9, official Kunio games do still see release (though not always in America) and there are high quality spiritual clones/successors like Scott Pilgrim that also see release.

If you want to make a River City Ransom-style game, then just make a River City Ransom-style game. You don’t need the RCR license. Underground looks like it is trying a bit too hard to *be* River City Ransom, and the odds are strongly against it being accepted as such no matter how much the devs pay the current rights owners. It is a game that is more likely to be hamstrung by its attempt to be accepted as RCR, even if it is an unnecessarily grimdark take on RCR.

9. ChampionHyena says:

Oor Wullie? Is that you?

10. pilouuuu says:

I wish they didn’t make more money so consoles don’t get a version. Wahahahaa (evil laughter)

• dr.castle says:

you jest, but more than 10,000 people have signed this petition

• P.M. Gleason says:

I’m tempted to sign it because they make the worst ports in PC history laced with shit DRM that nobody wants.
        So I suppose that, by principle, I should agree with the petition and keep the pc realm well clear of whatever compost they wish to heap on our computers.

• orochi_kyo says:

This trollish petition is not gonna change anything. The worst thing is you can get the game for consoles pirated before it hits stores on 21th.

• dr.castle says:

well of course it’s not going to accomplish anything, but the fact that 10,000 people feel so strongly that pc gamers shouldn’t be allowed to play gta that they sign a petition is a bit disturbing

• Apocalypse says:

Hutus killing about 1,000,000 Tutsi in Rwanda is disturbing. 10,000 trolls in the internet are mildly irritating.

11. JoannJKeenan says:

my roomate’s mother makes $76 every hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for 6 months but last month her pay was $17788 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Extra resources………

w­w­w.J­o­b­s­5­3.c­o­m

12. bretlee996 says:

as Mario answered I am inspired that anybody able to earn $9239 in one month on the computer. did you see this site link——–> http://www.jobs47.com

To find a mountain path all by oneself gives a greater feeling of strength than to take a path that is shown.

Comment on this story