Rather Chipper: Spud’s Quest Released

By Jim Rossignol on September 16th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

You might recall that a Dizzy remake completely failed to kick off with a Kickstarter, but in another, quieter corner of crowd-funding Spud’s Quest did get funded. The game – which is now complete and available to purchase – takes its inspiration from the likes of Dizzy, and is a side-scrolling questing platformer like they used to make in the olden times, in the dark times, before the internet.

Trailer below, for you to get dizzy over.

Not looking half bad, if that’s your sort of thing/you are an Amiga 500.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Lemming says:

Just a small point: It’s on Steam Greenlight here

If it gets on Steam/GoG (which is what he’s trying to do), you’ll get the keys regardless, if you purchased it direct from the developer.

• alfred says:

my roomate’s mother makes $74/hour on the computer. She has been out of a job for 9 months but last month her check was $14943 just working on the computer for a few hours. Go Here
      ………………. http://goo.gl/G40gh3

DrScuttles says:

As a kid, I used to love Dizzy despite each game holding the player in almost total contempt. If Spud’s Quest turns out to be like a Dizzy game but not brain meltingly frustrating, then I’m interested. It certainly looks the part.

• Richie Shoemaker says:

I was always a Magic Knight fan myself, although Finders Keepers and its sequels are probably less playable today than the Dizzy games.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Oh, I dunno, Richie! The latter two basically dropping any of the action stuff may actually hold up pretty well. KNIGHT TYME was one of the first games I ever finished by myself, I think. Also one of those proto-Graphic-Adventure games that always gets left out of the histories.

• yuri999 says:

You jammy sod! For someone who said “I dunno”, you know quite a lot! Hihihihihi…

• The Random One says:

Hey Kieron, do you know why your posts are still red, and Cara’s aren’t? Just curious.

• Caiman says:

I always liked the idea of the Dizzy games but was always put off by the execution, not to mention Dizzy him/itself was not a character I thought had any charm. Spud has charm, and the demo I played was fun, might pick this one up.

• sleepisthebrotherofdeath says:

The early Dizzy games were a little too buggy. The later ones solved this at the same time as becoming too easy. Magicland Dizzy sitting inbetween this was by far the best.

DrScuttles says:

Magicland was the first one I managed to beat! Even now I can here that bloody music echoing through my head. Spellbound consistently defeated me for years until I found WinUAE and a copy of the game that didn’t freeze when equipping the aqualung. That was the the day I learnt that finally overcoming a 15 year odyssey can leave you deeply unfulfilled, empty and wanting inside.
          Same thing happened when I beat Shadow Of The Beast 2. For one measly screen of text advertising a sequel.

• thekelvingreen says:

Oh yes, quite so. Magic Land Dizzy was the best one by far, although I do still find myself humming the Treasure Island music now and then to this day.

3. Siimon says:

Wonderful little game. Backed it and just got my hands on it, was playing all afternoon yesterday. Really very well done, with pleasant audio and visual :)

4. sleepisthebrotherofdeath says:

I demand an graphics option for it be displayed in glourious 16 colour 8bit goodness

5. Elevory says:

The game’s summary, as shown on the official website, twice uses “it’s” instead of “its”. Now that’s the mark of a true Indie production.

6. Monkeh says:

I feel this trailer is a bit unfair, since the music is enchanting me to buy the game.

*bought.. with the soundtrack, of course*

Damn you RPS, stop making me spend money!