Terraria Liiiiiiiiiiives: Long-Awaited 1.2 Update Trailered

By Nathan Grayson on September 17th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Once upon a time, Terraria died. The end. That is roughly how I hope my posthumous biography is written, only my name is Nathan. I also hope my tale continues like this: But then, as if by sorcery or some really cool-looking robot parts, Terraria/Nathan sprang out of the grave and dredged up all sorts of crazy new features like a giant bee. Also penguins. That, however, is only the tip of the iceberg. Despite its diminutive numerical status, 1.2 is apparently a massive update, bringing with it copious new mechanics, enemies, menus, items, pets, and more. Dig into the loamy depths below for a highly enticing trailer.

Here is just a small portion of what you can look forward to, per the Terrarian Times:

“Terrarians will encounter many new items, enemies, mechanics and challenges, to speak nothing of bosses and biomes. A lot’s been confirmed so far. For builders, there’s furniture, materials (rainbow bricks and shadewood), design tiles and banners (and campfires). Combat enthusiasts can look forward to beam swords, cannons, Hammush (Legend of Maxx reference!), snowballs, shields and traps. All tinkerers can rejoice at accessories, active and inactive versions of every block and wire fixes and enhancements.”

“Apparel has also changed: vanity-wise, expect Egyptian, Eskimo, fairy and steampunk outfits; whereas armor can now be dyed and has grown to include snow and cactus sets. There’ll be different mobs and variations on old ones (non-mechanical bosses with unique AI; clown bombs won’t destroy tiles anymore) as well as appearing with health bars (with the suggestion that the on-screen reminders be toggled). Regarding mechanics: players will be able to automatically walk up half blocks and one block high tiles; PvP will be tweaked; and Hardmode will undergo changes, not just limited to the spread of corruption and hallow.”

And that’s to say nothing of revamped character menus, rain, pets, mounts, and heaps of other goodies. Developer Andrew Spinks may have thrown his community into quite a tizzy when he took a (much deserved) break last year, but it looks like he made it well worth their while.

The new update will be out for free on October 1st. And after that? Who knows. Maybe Terraria will snuggle up beneath its nice, warm tombstone once more, or perhaps Spinks and the team will pile on even more bits and bobs. There is, after all, another “even better” project percolating around in Spinks’ brain, so maybe it’s nearly time to seek out greener pastures again. For now, though, hooray, more Terraria! Who thinks this update looks like the (gigantic, entirely horrifying) bee monster’s knees?

, .

1. Chalky says:

Are the “new mechanics” really just limited to the ability to walk up one block tiles and some nonspecified “tweaks”? Reskins aside, he’s been working on this for ages so what am I missing?

2. Jalan says:

Last time I played there were too many irritating bugs hampering my enjoyment of the game and when he made the announcement that he was essentially done with the game I had taken it as a sign to move on to something else. I know my nephew will be thrilled since he never fell out of love with it and always held out hope that it’d be updated again.

I may have to go back and check out some of it once it finally does update.

• Pemptus says:

Just out of curiosity: what are the bugs you speak of?
      The game isn’t perfect by any means (which didn’t prevent me from committing bloody 50+ hours to it), but I don’t really recall any outright bugs.

• Jalan says:

It’s been long enough that I know I’m not going to be able to recall them on a whim perfectly so you’ll have to forgive me for not having an itemized list of everything that was screwing with my personal enjoyment of the game (that wasn’t otherwise a normal part of the game itself, at least). But the bug with storing currency is one I do remember.

• huldu says:

I played terraria quite a bit after launch and have 230 hours logged on steam. I rarely ran into any bugs or issues in the game during that time.

• Jalan says:

It’s not gamebreaking bugs that I’m referring to, it’s some of the stuff that became problematic/an issue to deal/live with that came about after the last update (and not the stated changes resultant from it, things that it unintentionally unearthed). I’m not saying it wasn’t a playable game in general, as it most certainly was (and still is, even without this update) just that I felt like not playing it anymore.

• Jenks says:

That was a bizarre backpeddle.

• gladius2metal says:

so, you just didn’t like it. ok

• Snowskeeper says:

Yeah, try not to mistake “features I didn’t like” for “bugs” in the future. As for the currency bug you mentioned in another post, I’m not aware of that; it certainly never happened to me.

• Barnaby says:

Have to agree with those calling BS. I played a lot of Terraria and there were very few bugs that I can recall. The netcode may need work, but that’s all I can think of.

Also, the news of this update is awesome, can’t wait!

• Nesetalis says:

aye, though to be honest, the netcode works a hell of a lot better than minecraft XD

• Reise92 says:

Have to disagree with those calling BS, and this is why; http://terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Known_Bugs_And_Glitches.
        A simple Google search I did brought up this page. No bugs? Don’t make me laugh. Fanboy all you want, but this person genuinely felt like the bugs brought down his entire game experience. No need to troll or flame at him/her, and please do research before hating on someone’s OPINION that the game was too buggy to enjoy playing. At LEAST do a Google search, if you’re lazy like me. Otherwise, if you don’t have anything nice to say, or anything positive to contribute, what’s the point? Peace.

• Snowskeeper says:

Most of the bugs on this list are either very rare or unconfirmed. I have yet to encounter any of them in my 100+ hours.

3. irongamer says:

Looking forward to the update. Walking up half height blocks alone would make for a smoother replay. Hoping there may be some held tools that do multi-block mining.

4. TheDreamlord says:

A-WE-SOME!! Time to get back to Terraria then, right after my holidays! I love this game and it’s been two years since I’ve touched it.

5. Assaf says:

pretty nice, but i’m all jacked up for starbound. can’t wait for it, terraria doesn’t attract me as much anymore.

• Artist says:

Totally on the same page. Terraria-junkcode and their horrible support for servers pretty much killed it for me a long while ago.
      The King is dead, long live Starbound.

• sirflimflam says:

I don’t honestly expect Starbound to be any better in either of those categories, really.

Don Reba says:

Terraria is plural for terrarium, right?

• limbeckd says:

• Talesdreamer says:

‘Terraria’ in italian is litterally ‘earth + air’ (terra+aria). ‘Terrarium’ is derived from latin, and bears the same meaning.
      Nice and appropriate.

7. trjp says:

I really don’t think you can say something ‘died’ when people are still playing it and it’s cropping-up on other platforms like wildfire (recently on iOS which I find intriguing because I think it might be a nice thing to while away a trip with!?)

I never really clicked with Terraria but I do remember one thing vividly. After spending the first 10 mins chopping trees laboriously in Minecraft, I hit one here and it EXPLODED INTO A TONNE OF WOOD – I loved that :)

8. Stardreamer says:

This must be one of my own idiosyncrasies, but I don’t seem to enjoy these 2D craft-em-ups as much as I do Minecraft. The mining parts of the game tends to feel more onerous when it’s just a 2D plane, whereas in 3D you have the visceral first-person sense of exploring a cavern.

I bounced off Terraria and find myself struggling with Darkout (although that could just be a bad game) which makes me worry a bit for Starbound which I really really want but am now worried I might not enjoy. Might pop back into Terraria once this update is out.

Harlander says:

I’ve found that Terraria is at its best when you try and do as little digging as possible. Dig to get from cavern to cavern, sure, but don’t bother with the kind of exploratory mining you might do in the ‘craft.

• Bluenose says:

I admit I cheat and use Terrafirma so I can target my digging.

9. Heavenfall says:

Honestly, this game was a great buy for the price even before the dev announced the end of its cycle. This continued support and free content raises my appreciation for this dev to more than any other (only Endless Space has rivalled in free post-release content). I can’t wait to see what they come up with next.

• fish99 says:

Yeah I had an awesome 51 hrs so far with Terraria for £6.99. It’s hard to beat that. Kinda annoys me when people say the devs abandoned the game when it was dirt cheap, awesome, and already had a ton of updates. It also has way more content than Minecraft if you’re not including mods.

• dE says:

It went a bit like this. Lots of content added later down the line, but also release debacles like shipping with stolen sprites. A few months down the line:
        “Yeah, I’ve had enough Terraria for now, thank you. Gonna stop support forever” – Oh, alright, what about bugs?
        “Not fixing them. Not now, not ever. I’m done” – What?
        Some time passing.
        “Stay tuned for really big news, it’s gonna be great” – oh, you said you were done, cool, can’t wait.
        “There’s this is awesome new content” – oh wow, that’s nice.
        “Oh and you ain’t getting it” – What?
        “Console only. Stop bugging me” – Things blowing up in response.
        “Actually, I can’t give it to you, rights and reasons and stuff” – oh, well could have said that earlier instead of a flipped finger.

So that’s essentially the short version behind all the abandonment rage. It was a series of miscommunications with a rather unfortunate bait and switch on the console version content. That and block based games have a tendency to create even more bile than RPS comments for some reason.

• TheGameSquid says:

I understand that confusion part, I just don’t get why people claim that it was “abandoned”. I played the game 30+ hours and barely encountered any noteworthy bugs, everything ran smooth, it had clear goals, progression, etc. They then came back and released a totally awesome 1.1 patch which wasn’t really a patch but just a HUGE amount of extra content. And now they’re adding even more when they had absolutely no obligation to do so whatsoever. And Terraria managed to entertain without the need for the community to come up with mods to maintain its lifespan. I’m not sure what more you could possibly wish for.

Well, I guess, as others have pointed out, multiplayer could have used some work…

• Nesetalis says:

because they promised more, and there are still bugs.
            They kept saying “oh yeah were gonna do things!” and then… they just stopped.
            that is abandonment.
            I have wracked up some 300 hours on terraria i think.
            My biggest disappointment was the promise of modding tools that were never realized.

• Snowskeeper says:

The main problem that people kept pointing out (at least, on PC Gamer; I don’t spend much time on RPS) was that the Steam Page still advertised Terraria as being constantly updated, even during the period where Redigit was supposedly done with the game.

10. bretlee996 says:

I only work about for $10k- $13k FREE HOURS a week from home. I’m using an online business opportunity I heard about and I’ve made such great money. Join the many successful people who have already started freelancing over the web. … http://www.jobs47.com

• Felixader says:

That with the “more people successfully freeflancing over the internet” is actually not that wrong. It is something that makes me keeping hope for it.

I wouldn’t click on that link though.

Bluerps says:

Hm. On the one hand, this is quite amazing, on the other hand it has been a long time since I last played Terraria, and I am not sure if I’d be able to get into it again. Also, I already spent so much time with it, and there are so many other games to play, that I am not sure if I actually want to play the update.

12. NailBombed says:

Gave up playing this a while back. May have to get back into it now there’s at least some support for it. Still haven’t delved into multiplayer action yet.

• Barnaby says:

Solo Terraria is a terrible thing, imo. I’d go so far as to say that multiplayer is the way the game is meant to be played. Whenever I played alone the world felt so much less exciting and slightly hollow. Try playing with a couple of friends (or a bunch) and I think you will have a great time.

13. Bobka says:

Much as I love Terraria, I’m going to hold off on trying out the new features, in the mad hopes that Starbound gets released soon. I don’t want to burn myself on 2D crafting and digging and exploring before it even comes out.

… Or do I?…

Aw, to hell with it. Might as well boot it up.

14. error503 says:

Also penguins. That, however, is only the tip of the iceberg.

I made an account on Rock Paper Shotgun just to be able to emphasize this amazing line of amazingness in a comment.

15. sharkh20 says:

New music is awesome and reminds me of Sonic Spinball

16. limbeckd says:

Hmm, I don’t see any mention of controller support ala the 360 version. That is what I’d really like to see.

17. lockjaw says:

when does the update come out ???

18. squareking says:

There’s not enough time in the world for this and Starbound. :(

19. Nenjin says:

I was pretty butthurt after he said he was done developing, it was totally at odds with his “as long as people still want features ill keep developing” statement. But it’s hard to stay mad when he did a complete 180, and with gusto, for free. I’m just going to treat this as the last update it will get, instead of pinning my hopes on his continued involvement.

• Edgewise says:

It was probably a mistake for them to say that they would keep developing as long as people still want features, and it was probably a mistake for people to believe them. Unless these new features are driving continued purchases, this is essentially a promise to develop new content, for free, forever. It was probably given out of excessive enthusiasm, which understandably died down when they realized that they need to keep earning profits to keep the lights on. I’m just glad that I got so much entertaining gameplay for such a low price; that really overshadows any disappointment that they stopped giving me tons of free stuff.

20. JasonD says:

When the updates stopped rolling in on Terraria, it inspired a lot of 2D Sandbox games. While waiting for Terraria updates, I’ve been playing Asteria (playasteria.com) and love the direction that have taken the genre. Now Im going to have a few games to build stuff in.

21. Radioactive Yeti says:

oh, wow.

I only have 130 hours on this game.
    I feel lesser

22. nitehawk says:

>New Items
    >Golden Shower

What

23. Aperson618 says:

Terraria needs more updates after this too! If Terraria keeps getting updates it can beat minecraft, which in my opinion it already has. Minecraft, gets boring after diamond. Terraria, what, 16 ores? WOOOO. MOAR THAN 2 DECENT ORES. Anyway, really looking forward to the update!!

24. Le.Epic.Gamer says:

What time will it be released in Western Australia? Our time zone is +0800 hours, and it is October 1st, Tuesday, 10:25 AM right now for us.