The Last of USMC: Ultimate Space Commando

By Adam Smith on September 17th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Oh no! With a name like Ultimate Space Commando, there’s a very real chance that this could be the last game ever created. Deep down, I always knew that gaming would end as a QTE caused a planet full of aliens to explode, the light causing lens flare and bloom to bounce and refract from the shiny bald head of the Ultimate Space Commando. Imagine my relief when the trailer for the final game revealed something entirely different. Turn-based tactics, randomised maps, destructible environments, a neat inventory system and oodles of crafting. It’s a far more fitting end for PC gaming than the shrieking grind of the gears of war and you can now register as an alpha participant.

The feature list and trailer were enough to make me sign up for the alpha. The form looks like this:

Very good, Ultimate Space Commando. I believe you and I may become firm friends.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. bretlee996 says:

as Mario answered I am inspired that anybody able to earn $9239 in one month on the computer. did you see this site link——–> http://www.jobs47.com

To find a mountain path all by oneself gives a greater feeling of strength than to take a path that is shown.

• Tyrmot says:

Seems more sensible to be shown the path to me

• belgand says:

Ah, but if you find the path yourself presumably you can open a toll booth there and start extorting people to utilize it. I think that’s what he’s getting at.

• sneetch says:

Yeah, I fail to see how I can be earning $9239 on the computer (which particular computer? I do not know) if I’m off looking for mountain paths. I mean, I’m sure it’s tricky to get the internet while searching for mountain paths and there are few power outlets in the mountains so it’d be a hindrance.

• aldo_14 says:

Maybe the job is to verify the correctness of mountain paths in apple maps versus google maps?

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Better yet, just bulldoze your way in.

2. bstard says:

Whats up with all the top-down crappy 80ies games? Autumn the nostalgia month?

• Reefpirate says:

It’s simple really… It’s not about nostalgia as much as it is about software still trying to get caught up with hardware. Just because technology has progressed does not mean that all ideas from older technologies have been explored. For example, there really aren’t a whole lot of procedurally generated, top-down, tactical space marine games out there, and even less that are any good.

• bstard says:

OK, I get the point gameplay > graphics, but I’m under the impression RPS loves old nostalgic crap for the sake of being pixelrated and oldish. Even more than they do modern stuff, like a moba ;)

• Phasma Felis says:

I think you’re on the wrong website. Kotaku is over there.

3. Alphadrop says:

Weird, the portraits are Photoshopped Sims 3 characters.

4. Jack_Dandy says:

Concept sounds neat and a half, right up my alley.

But the lighting design in these maps is a total mess!

Sunjumper says:

Despite the graphics making my eyes bleed I like the premise of the game. The idea of being able to generate missions on the fly is nice as is the possibility to mix and match multi-player modes. This might become a great little strategy game to play every once in a while. It also has the potential to strategically destroy time until it is 4am all of the sudden.
    I just hope that there will be the possibility to mod the graphics and/or that what we have seen in the trailer is still work in progress or placeholder art.

6. Dariush says: