Insanity: 30 Games From Hotline, KRZ, More Devs For $15

By Nathan Grayson on September 18th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

I have no idea what's going on here, but I really, really want to find out.

This is probably the most exciting game-related anything I’ve seen in months. And yes, as the headline suggests, it’s entirely bonkers. Remember Zineth developer Arcane Kids’ Tribes-meets-Tony-Hawk thing Perfect Stride? Well, it’s just one of 30+ games (23 of which are already finished and playable) that’ll immediately be yours if you hand LA Game Space a pithy 15 of your bacteria-and-filth-ridden Human Dollars. Experimental Game Pack 01 also includes entirely new projects from the likes of Katamari Damacy creator Keita Takahashi, Adventure Time (yes, the TV show) maestro Pendleton Ward, Hotline Miami madman Cactus, Kentucky Route Zero devs Jake Elliott and Tamas Kemenczy, and sooooooooooo many more. I’m not even going to pretend to be impartial on this one. Buy it. Buy it because duh.

SO MANY GAMES.

Now, there is something of a catch here. This deal was originally offered to Kickstarter backers of the LA Game Space, and the roaring furnace of creativity is billing this as our “last chance” to get these games. After less than two weeks, they’ll all go back in the vault – presumably permanently, if you failed to take advantage of the offer.

So probably get on this, because I mean seriously, with descriptions like these, how can you go wrong? First up, here’s Keita Takahashi and Canabalt creator Adam Saltsman’s contribution, ALPHABET:

“Use your whole keyboard to help your lovely alphabet guys as they run, jump, eat, sing, poop, and sleep through silly obstacle courses.”

Poop! And then there’s Tamas Kemenczy of Kentucky Route Zero fame with Coureur des bois:

“Coureur des bois is an action/survivalist canoe simulation about evading hypnotic mountain lions. Features: dangerous cats, cartwheels, an ending.”

Ben Vance’s Irrational Exuberance also sounds magical:

“A first-person mystery playground at the end of the world. Stargaze. Find hope. Run for your life. (Oculus Rift supported, not required).”

And something about Noah Sasso’s outerspace jam space face game gamespaceSpacegame just calls to me:

“Your face is in outer space, and everything is trying to kill you.”

And then of course there’s also Perfect Stride, which I’ve been yearning for in ways most sensual and scandalous since I first learned of its existence.

That’s just a handful from the entire selection. Now if you’ll excuse me, I intend to go play them all. When next you see me, I’ll probably be older, grayer, and significantly less sane.

, , , , , , .

1. Frosty840 says:

Well… I don’t tend to watch videos on account of YouTube really not being functional on my connection, so I have no idea what this is.

Nathan’s post doesn’t appear to be coherent beyond “OMGGAMESLOOKATTHEM!”, and the website doesn’t really tell me what the hell it’s selling.

I feel confused and excluded :(

• trjp says:

Is your network cable made of string? Youtube doesn’t really need much in the way of bandwidth!?!?

I assume you can see the images of the games on the website itself? OK – imagine them moving a bit and clashing together – voila, the video…

• 2Ben says:

Well for example I live in China where YouTube is blocked. Yeah I know, VPN and whatnot, but without an at least coherent invitation to break the law, it’s not worth the hassle…

• ellel08 says:

as Eugene explained I didn’t even know that a mother can profit $7179 in one month on the internet. hop over to this website —————————– http://goo.gl/G40gh3

• airmikee99 says:

What?!?! Youtube doesn’t use much bandwidth? Are you talking about Youtube.com or Youtube.Saturnsrings?

In 2007 Youtube used as much bandwidth as the entire internet did in 2000. For low quality videos it needs a minimum 500 Kbps, with high quality videos requiring 3.5 Mbps. Considering that as of Q1-2013 the average American internet speed was slightly higher than 7 Mbps, it’s fairly easy to see that watching videos on Youtube can dramatically affect ones internet connection, especially if one has an average or worse connection.

I have a 50 Mbps connection at home, and Youtube can still chug along as if I were still on dialup.

• Henke says:

They’re games, d00d. Well, prototypes more like. I’ve only played the first 5 yet (I was a backer), but I can tell you this: Alphabet is pretty fantastic! :D

• bill says:

Having watched the video I have no more idea about what the games are like… except that they all look awesome and hallucinogenic.
      I think Nathan’s post, and the game descriptions, sum them up as well as words can. Though you should really watch the video.

Though if you can’t watch the video then you won’t be able to download the games either…

• tumbleworld says:

Nathan in over-excitement shocker, huh?

Don’t feel too bad about YouTube. As far as I can tell from the (horribly-soundtracked) video, it’s a whole heap of the sort of games Porpentine plugs on Sundays as freebies, only you have to pay for them.

2. BTAxis says:

Most of what I saw in that video was either insane or plain disturbing. I don’t think I want to spend $15 on that.

• Henke says:

Yeah, most of them look like something from a Tim and Eric sketch. :D

• bill says:

I don’t know how much drugs go for these days, but $15 for hours of the same effect doesn’t sound too steep.

3. Gravy100 says:

quality not quantity!

4. Richie Shoemaker says:

Does this collection come with a free digital calculator watch, a la Cassette 50?

5. DrScuttles says:

From the few of these I’ve already tried, I’m currently partial to gamespaceSpacegame. It has a lovely aesthetic, but I’m conflicted because everything kills you instantly and you’re suddenly playing Rick Dangerous, which was absolutely atrocious. But you get infinite lives and it’s relatively short. And ultimately, the joy manages to overcome the frustration.
    Coureur des bois annoyed me; maybe I’m rubbish at games, maybe the controls are just bad. I don’t know.
    Depth seems quite intriguing. Only played the first few levels, but I can imagine some of the puzzles getting tricky later on.
    There’s a bunch imagination on display here to dip in and out of, like a swimming pool filled with sharply smelling creative juices.

6. trjp says:

To the people who’ve tried these – are they ‘games’ as in finished and playable things, or are they more concepts and mock-ups and tests and stuff like that (the video and website content suggest the latter??)

7. Taidan says:

They all look very inventive and creative and all of that stuff that games journos love to fawn over.

But are any of them actually fun, or is it 30×5 mins of “Oh, this is clever. Next!”?

8. daz_uk says:

With a couple of exceptions, this looks like a nice snapshot of exactly what the indie scene is at the moment. That could be meant as a compliment but being the jaded, cynical mess that I am these days means that it is not meant as a compliment. It looks like they took random people, gave them a copy of GameMaker, Untiy or ‘other gamedev tool’ and said “Go!” and then the people booted up their first game editor and ‘did stuff’.
    Kinda like when I first booted up a level editor or the Source or Far-Cry editors years ago. I chucked stuff in, played with physics and conned myself into thinking I made games. The difference is, in these days journalists go batshit crazy over experimental games (i.e unfinished messes disguised as games lavished with existential arguments and jury-rigged philosophical meanings!). I just don’t get it.
    I’m not a total philistine, I get that art is subjective and so are games and we shouldn’t stop doing this because it only takes one gem and it’s all worth it, but please we need some kind of constructive comments and reviews rather than “These are batshit crazy, and who cares about anything else – I love ‘em!…
    As I said, a couple of these look interesting, but so many look like my 4 year old self could do (and probably did – on my spectrum).
    Now hate me forever.
    Yes my own games are maybe more traditional, but they should be fun (and finished!) :)

• CmdrCrunchy says:

I can understand your personal opinion, but I’m just the opposite. I love to gobble this stuff up and, funny enough, I imagine I would enjoy the results of your tinkering with the Source and Far Cry editors.
      Why exactly I enjoy playing through these sorts of things so much is harder to explain, as I just cant get into the recent resurgence in twine games at all. I guess part of it is that there’s so many games that do practically the same thing out there, and all of these little games are unique and individual in their own way.
      On reflection I think its just that I love interacting with and exploring these little worlds and finding what people have placed in them for me to find, I think the best example of one that I found memorable is the much maligned “Fantastic Game” and its ‘find the dollars to open the doors’ progression.

Though, I always remember being ‘That Guy’ trying to get votes in for the wacky and abstract UT2004 maps over the normal ones.

EDIT : Also, not sure if this is totally relevant, but for mostly the same reasons, I love Antichamber so much I wish I could marry it.

• Rizlar says:

It’s like how sketches can be more interesting sometimes than an artist’s finished work. You need to consider them as disposable, investigative things, but often there is something in them that is really interesting.

Paying for these games does blur the line a little tho, guess that comes from the kickstarter aspect.

• herotwin says:

just 2 be clear, you’re not ‘buying’ the games per se, it’s a donation to LA Game Space, which is a non-profit org.

also @daz_uk art isn’t about effort ;-)

• killias2 says:

“With a couple of exceptions, this looks like a nice snapshot of exactly what the indie scene is at the moment.”

I’m not jumping out of my seat to buy this set of games… but I still love the indie gaming scene as a whole. I mean.. did you play FTL? Or Hotline Miami? OR ROGUE LEGACY?!! Seriously, these are some of my favorite games of the last 12 months. I’ve finally hit a point where most AAA games don’t even excite me. I ended up picking up Rome Total War 2 (or whatever jumbled mess those words are now in), and found it to be decent. Far Cry 3 was good, as was Blood Dragon. That’s most of the time I’ve spent on AAA this year.

9. LordMidas says:

I nearly broke my mouth trying to say this “Noah Sasso’s outerspace jam space face game gamespaceSpacegame”. Like thanks, Nathan.

10. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

What bullshit. If there’s anything experimental games don’t need, it’s artificial exclusivity. Count me out.

• MadTinkerer says:

Originally, these were completely exclusive to backers. Like the wind-up-creeper-toy exclusive to The Story of Mojang backers, or Completely Unnecessary Physical Box For Your Downloadable Game offered by many other projects. These were always artificially exclusive, in order to drum up funds for the Indie Game Space, a physical area within LA city limits which costs real money taxes and such. I know taxes are a multi-millenium-old concept that clashes with the very new idea of plentiful cheap Indie games, but try to realize there is good reason for the way in which the organizers are doing this.

Incidentally: I already backed the project originally, so I don’t have to pay a cent! Observe my monocle and top hat! If you wish to be one of the Monocled Class like me, you’d best contribute to The Art Form while this offer is on the table! I mean, you’ll still be the “New Money” to my “Old Money”, but we’ll let you play golf with us once your background check is finished and you’re proven to not be one of the Kaiser’s Dirty Spies. Harumph!

11. vivlo says:

Minor convenience critics :
    -the formulaire to input your credit cards information doesn’t apear securized enough according to my browser (firefox prompted me saying informations could be intercepted). It’s not paypal, and there is not much information about the payment process. I hesitated before clicking it then decided to trust rps…
    -you won’t be allowed to redownload a game before waiting 1 hour. This is probably to avoid many games download for a single library, but it’s maybe not so efficicent, because it doesn’t seem like a good counter measure to mass-downloads-from-one-account, and the os version tabs are not obvious at all, and i downloaded a game for windows which i realized only after downloading ; when switching to mac i cannot redownload it, have to wait one hour – it’s a bit frustrating.
    nothing to say about the games yet…

• Serrit says:

Yeah I got the same warning in Firefox when submitting the payment form, saying that the resulting page had a mixture of HTTPS and plain HTTP resources so some data might not be encrypted. I clicked on Cancel at that point, but still got through to a “payment received” screen, so I guess that other data being sent wasn’t necessary.

I did have to then create an account on the site using the same email address I entered when paying, and log in using that, before being able to access the download links.

• adamrobezzoli says:

We fixed this earlier today, thanks to vivlo letting us know about it by email. It was being caused by our Stripe payment form submitting itself and our mailing list signup form at the same time (an unintentional action that we didn’t even realize was possible with html forms!).

The only thing insecure was the mailing list signup form, which is why your payment still went through when you cancelled—you just canceled the mailing list submit.

We are working on simplifying the login flow and and improving the user interface tonight. Thanks for the feedback and critiques!

12. mooken says:

I came across this link at reddit. It’s a pretty great description and thoughts on every game in the package.

13. TheThinkTanker says:

I want this so bad, which is why the “buy now or never see these games again” caveat makes me sad. I recently got laid off from my job, and there is no space in the budget for fun purchases right now. CURSES!

I guess it’s not the end of the world though. OR IS IT?!

14. G_Man_007 says:

That was like a trip back to the 90s. I was getting a definite Magic Carpet vibe at one point.

15. racccoon says:

I stopped doing the hmm its only 10-15bucks, as these don’t last longer than five minutes and sit there vegetating, just don’t fall for it anymore, stop the grieving let it all go..