Super Troper: The Evil Within Trailer

By Craig Pearson on September 18th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

I'll use any excuse to post this delightful piece of concept art
[coffin opens] Hello! Hello? Can you… no, obviously you can’t. Someone has set the dry ice machine all the way up to nimbostratus. I clearly specified cirriform! Fine! We’ll just let it clea – [sound of fan being switched on]. Really? This is amateur hour. Honestly… Well, at least I can read the autocue. Can they see me? Good. VELCOME! Aha-ha-ha-haaaa! Ha! Tis I, Plague Fearsome. I am your g[ho]u[l]ide on this DEADLY JOURNEY into the HEArT of HoRRor and broken k£yboard$. We have The Evil Within trailer for you. It puts “demon” in “demonstration”, and the “er” in “trailer”. For that is the noise I made when I watched this collection of eldritch cliches, this midnight gathering of unscary moments, this fleash video of awkward peril. Follow me as I drop to the paragraph below to escape its blunt and ticklish claws… [Wilhelm scream]

[Wilhelm landing] You can tell this horror trailer didn’t work on me (or John or Adam) because the pale and clammy dwellers of the Forbidden Chatroom of Mystery ended up discussing its representation of door hinges: John thinks the hinges seen at 1.15 are on the wrong way. We are some of the meekest people on Earth. I once got so scared by Paranormal Activity that I had to leave the lights on in my old house. I still get chills installing System Shock 2. So when we’re mocking it, when we are pointing out scenes that we’ve seen a hundred times before (a scary mental hospital, missing people, piles of bodies, security cam footage, people appearing BEHIND YOU, scratchy fake film stock, that end monster), then maybe you’ve leaned a little heavily on the tropes?

I think it’ll be well made, and it might even have a couple of jump scares that will give some Let’s Players something to scream about, but I currently remain resolutely unaffected by what I just watched.

[squeal]. See? That cat just jumped out at me and I didn’t even flinch. It’s out next year.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Top comments

1. Jakkar says:

In the style of Resident Evil, I find that rather intriguing. Hammy horror on the surface with the potential for something genuinely disturbing beneath the cheese. Consider Metal Gear Solid for another example of a Japanese production wearing a faux-cliché, self-indulgently silly mask over a deeper, potentially moving story.

Western productions take themselves exceedingly seriously, in general, while providing little of value beneath the 'grit' veneer... In terms of horror, Monolith are the most noteworthy of very few exceptions, managing to at least be genuinely unpleasant here and there.

I'll take Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Project Zero (fatal frame), Forbidden Siren and so forth, cheesy presentation and horror tropes included, over American/European horror games any day.
  1. rockman29 says:

Well I thought it was genuinely scary… lol.

• Grey Poupon says:

Not only do I not find “slasher horror” scary, I find it really hard to be immersified in third person games enough to actually fear for the protagonist’s life. And in addition to that they really need to have something else going on than the horror aspect. Amnesia (the first one) is a good example. The puzzles made you think in order to get them done and that’s when I’m the most vulnerable to being spooked. Even the slightest noise can be scary when I’m trying to concentrate on something else.

Or the approach the Stalker games had where horror isn’t the primary attribute, but something that just kind of comes along. Don’t think I’ve ever been as scared in a game during my adulthood than what I was when I got into one of those labs in the first Stalker game. The game never told me it was a “horror” game and then weird shit started happening around me. Or the first time I bumped into one of those invisible things..

I guess what I’m trying to say is that if I expect the game to spook me, it never really works and thus the game needs to distract me. They very rarely even make an attempt to do so .

• DapperDirewolf says:

I generally find myself freaked out by most spooky games, but I completely agree with you about Stalker and Amnesia. Stalker in particular, the same story with the labs, had me too afraid to continue through the corridors.

• The Random One says:

I was once genuinely scared when I got interrupted during a puzzle on Puzzle Agent, and that was a fucking cartoon gnome. Someone who makes a horror game that’s an Amnesia/Professor Layton mashup will be a wild success.

• jonahcutter says:

I think that’s a pretty damn good analysis.

I had similar reactions in both Amnesia and STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl. I would be trying to focus on a puzzle and jumping at little sounds in Amnesia. And my first playthrough of STALKER remains one of the most intense and memorable gaming experiences I’ve had. In part because of those moments when I felt like I had a grasp on the situation, and then things start sliding sideways.

2. Jakkar says:

Western productions take themselves exceedingly seriously, in general, while providing little of value beneath the ‘grit’ veneer… In terms of horror, Monolith are the most noteworthy of very few exceptions, managing to at least be genuinely unpleasant here and there.

I’ll take Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Project Zero (fatal frame), Forbidden Siren and so forth, cheesy presentation and horror tropes included, over American/European horror games any day.

• Joe The Wizard says:

I agree completely. This looks great. Like they took the very best of J-Horror and made a Resident Evil game out of it. Who wouldn’t want to play that? It’s exactly what makes horror films so much fun.

• ScorpionWasp says:

You have spoken the names of Silent Hill and Resident Evil in the same breath. Into the voids of despair with you, taboo breaker!

3. bigjig says:

I actually kind of liked it. But then again I like genre films and games, with all their tropes and cliches. It’s good to see a big budgeted survival horror game again.

Andy_Panthro says:

Totally agree with you! This trailer looks pretty good, and there’s nothing wrong with throwing a few tropes around.

4. BreadBitten says:

Fuck, that bit near the end made my seat quake.

5. Ninjaontour says:

As much as the article made me laugh, I thought this was a decent trailer. It’s nice to see Resident Evil-esque hammy characters again, nicely slathered over a base of gore and mental monsters.

Genuinely looking forward to the finished game now!

6. racccoon says:

Nice work here, Looks like what Resident Evil should of been doing with all its updated crap it forced upon us, being sloppy and misguided is not the way to release new game play. Here’s a wake up call. Great job from these Guys.

• povu says:

Exactly. Some people complain it’s too much like Resident Evil. I think they somehow forgot we haven’t had a good Resident Evil game in a long time.

Even longer since we had a good one that worked well on PC.

7. DapperDirewolf says:

Looks like it could be scary enough for me… Depends on the scenario where I play it, really. I’m yet to play Outlast which I bought more than 2 weeks ago!

I’ve really gone off Resident Evil (as it’s progressed) but will always have love for the original games with those horribly awkward, fear-inducing camera angles.

8. Turkey says:

My sympathies go out to Shinji Mikami. I can’t even begin to imagine what it would be like to be the father of survival horror.

• Shadowcat says:

Presumably better than being the mother?

• ScorpionWasp says:

Makes you wonder who was the father of presumption and immodesty.

Andy_Panthro says:

Surely a lot of credit has to go to Infogrames and Alone in the Dark, which was released a few years earlier and has many of the same features?

9. foop says:

I think the problem with the hinges is that the metal bar is purely ornamental; it has nothing to do with the hinge. The hinges are presumably on the other side of the door and frame. There may even be a corresponding ornate metal bar on the other side that is actually part of the hinge, although that seems rather elaborate for a simple wooden door.

10. stele says:

Huh – an Outlast remake already?

• ScorpionWasp says:

No shit. It’s hard to believe it was a coincidence. The two places look freaking identical.

11. XhomeB says:

Do we know anything about this game’s gameplay structure? Will it be a corridor-y rollercoaster ride or something more akin to the origial RE trilogy – linear in when it comes to progression, but with plenty of exploration and “hub” areas?

12. The Random One says:

“I once got so scared by Paranormal Activity that I had to leave the lights on in my old house.”

I like to imagine this means Craig was so scared he called the current owners of a house he no longer lives in to make sure their lights were on.

tumbleworld says:

“No. You don’t understand. You have to turn on the damn lights. RIGHT. NOW.”

13. yuri999 says:

Oh dear god, the trailer was packed with terrible tropes. Plus wow, seriously… the female lead looks like a creepy PS2 era Silent Hill human disguised as a monster not to mention the bespectacled guy who looks evil enough that he’ll do a face heel turn midway through the game. The graphics might be current-gen worthy but the dialogue is straight out of the PS1-era. SHINJI STAHP WRITING AND HIRE A GOOD WRITER FFS!!!!!!!!!