Guests And Goblins: Knock Knock

By Adam Smith on September 19th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

A: Knock Knock.
B: Who’s there?
A: Hello! It’s Icepick Lodge here. We’re just scratching and clawing at the door in the manner that a deranged and hungry ghost might if it found itself outside an isolated house in the middle of some shadow-splintered woods. You may know us as the developers of Pathologic and other games. Following a successful Kickstarter, we’ve been working on a new experience about trying to survive the long nights in a home that is haunted by more than memories. It’s terrifying, as you can see in the video below.
B: Your response is too long. You’ve ruined the joke.
A: No matter. As you have probably noticed, we’ve now passed through the kitchen window and are currently chewing on your leg with our razor-like teeth.

The concept and the art style tickle just the right parts of my brain, but I’ll be damned if I can work out how it’s going to play. Jim will be sharing some impressions shortly so all shall be revealed. He’s probably playing it right now, which makes me exceedingly jealous. I want to be hunted by haunts in my own home!

, , .

1. Dr I am a Doctor says:

Maybe Jim will tell what’s the 47$ pledge level because daaaang man

2. Jake says:

‘but I’ll be damned if I can work out how it’s going to play’

Well I assume Neil Buchanan asks you a question and then you have to go to one of the rooms and find a hidden object.

3. Premium User Badge DrScuttles says:

The mechanics probably centre around committing a mystery for which we.. well, you – you, Imposter, thief, holy, Sand Fever, messenger of Law and envoy – have come to this world. It will be determined. You are the only to determine it. The mystery consists in it. You will settle the future by means of the present. By means of undone you will settle and determine what seemed to be done beforehand. Before, it was on the contrary only.

4. Vinraith says:

They should start a Kickstarter to make a proper English translation of Pathologic. I’m not being snarky, either, I’d happily donate to that endeavor.

• Premium User Badge Don Reba says:

This.

• ScorpionWasp says:

This, so much this. I have to say, I feel IcePick Lodge are THE most meaningfully creative (you know, not originality just FOR the sake of originality like so many gimmicky indie games these days, originality with passion and soul and vision) game design team in the world today. Their writing is impeccable, their fictional worlds vibrant, nuanced and complex; they treat their audience like intelligent, adult people. And that is so incredibly fucking rare in this industry. For not having given Pathologic a proper translation, they should be charged with crimes against humanity.

• Jack Mack says:

A rerelease, tweaking and polishing the thing, giving it a proper translation, would be fantastic. I’d snap it up.

• biggergun says:

They said more than once that they’d love to do a proper remake. I’m hoping we’ll see a kickstarter for that one day.

• alphyna says:

they actually plan to do it, it’s written on Russian wikipedia (and I also happen to know it’s true).

5. Synesthesia says:

B: You’re response

Ooookey.

6. SheridaH says:

Good to hear something from them again. I loved The Void :)

7. Premium User Badge RedViv says:

One of the first things I kicked in the starts, if I remember correctly. With a team that manages to make a not really good game that still keeps me in because it’s just so insane, I don’t think I can go wrong.

8. Premium User Badge The Sombrero Kid says:

I put down a fair whack of cash for this because they are one of my top 5 developers off all time. Can’t wait.

9. mwoody says:

Why the heck wasn’t this video sent to Kickstarter backers?

They’ve done some very strange stuff with their Kickstarter updates: lengthy, meandering, statements that I can’t tell if they’re in-voice or signs of their company being about to fold.

• Premium User Badge DrScuttles says:

Those are indeed some very strange Kickstarter updates. I think there’s something about Ice Pick Lodge that scares me.

• patashe says:

It’s been pretty obvious since they started the Kickstarter that it’s all part of the world of the game with the whole starting point of IPL being sent a package full of bits of writing and sketches and being told to create a game. Also the way the updates have deconstructed people’s ideas of IPL games as well has been brilliant, the update about how the rumour that IPL hate gameplay isn’t true, they just aren’t good at it and think it gets in the way was a master stroke. It’s been my favourite KS for sure.

• The Random One says:

Agreed! It’s like a spooky story about a haunted Kickstarter, except it’s an actual Kickstarter project!

• alphyna says:

As someone who’s written said update, I’m so damn proud right now.

10. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

Hello! It’s Icepick Lodge here. We’re just scratching and clawing at the door in the manner that a deranged and hungry ghost might if it found itself outside an isolated house in the middle of some shadow-splintered woods. You may know us as the developers of Pathologic and other games. Following a successful Kickstarter, we’ve been working on a new experience about trying to survive the long nights in a home that is haunted by more than memories. It’s terrifying, as you can see in the video below who?

11. Lemming says:

Strange choice of look for the player character. He doesn’t look very sympathetic does he?

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

According to the devs, they changed him to be more angry and businesslike-looking on purpose.