That Riddick Game Diesel Teased? An iOS Movie Tie-In

By Nathan Grayson on September 19th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Update: I sought clarification from Gaming Corps about Vin Diesel’s comment, further games in the Riddick series, and whether or not PC will be involved, and CEO Nicklas Dunham replied with the following: “At the moment we can only disclose that the iOS version is just the beginning.” So there’s more to come, but it’s still far too early to determine the exact form it will take.

Original: That’s it, Vin Diesel. I have had it with your coy, ultimately empty promises and suspiciously shiny head. Next time I see you, we’re going to throw down. You will win, because a) you have the musculature of a mythological Greek titan and b) are the Iron Giant, but still. Afterward, you will absolutely, positively – for some reason – regret getting me all excited about the prospect of a new Chronicles of Riddick game. Because really? All that ballyhooing and getting the old Starbreeze band back together for a quick-and-dirty mobile movie tie-in? I’m sitting here, fists clinched, just shuddering right now, Vin. And it’s only mostly from fear.

Yeah, it doesn’t look particularly great. Reading into it further, it’s apparently exactly what it looks like, too. Top-down stealth-action where you can “complete objectives your own way.” I guess there’ll be some sort of light/dark mechanic involved as well, but zoomed-out third-person doesn’t seem super conducive to the sort of tension that cat/really-big-mouse dynamic created in previous Riddicks.

On the upside, Tigon is calling Chronicles of Riddick: The Merc Files ”the first new installment in the ongoing Riddick saga,” so maybe something a bit beefier might make its way onto other platforms in the future? Also, Diesel wasn’t lying when he said he had former Starbreeze talent on board, with developer Gaming Corps (which I keep trying to write as Gaming Crops) having blossomed off from Riddick’s original virtual handler back in 2012. So, um, fingers crossed for Merc Files’ success. I guess.

For now, though, join me in quoting another one of our time’s greatest mostly bald luminaries: AAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHH.

, , , .

1. zeekthegeek says:

This is NOT the game they teased about ‘bringing the team back together’. This is a separate project from that entirely. http://screencrush.com/vin-diesel-interview/

2. Paroxysm says:

Yes it seems you never watched the interview that the original news came from Nathan. He said they’re making an iOS game that coming out soon but in bigger news they’ve put the old team back together to make a proper sequel to the previous Riddick games.

3. SanguineAngel says:

Yes, what the others said.

And it may be totally insane but I kinda trust Vin Diesel to at least try to come good. He always comes across as very earnest and well intentioned when he talks about these things. Plus butcher bay still curries a lot of favour with me. Which is also insane – that game is ancient bit still brilliant.

• mickygor says:

Yea, I trust Vin Diesel too. Dude’s passionate about gaming, and about Riddick. Plus he’s made some very Master Race comments in interviews – he wouldn’t abandon us for a mobile-only future!

4. Sandepande says:

Even the fact that he likes D&D cannot be held against him.

5. Stardreamer says:

If anyone from Team Riddick is reading this – YES PLEASE ANOTHER PC RIDDICK GAME WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

It’s really been too long since I leapt from cover to stab someone in the neck.

• HadToLogin says:

Play Far Cry 3 then? Lots of stabbing from cover. Unless you want neck stabbing…

• povu says:

Dishonored may satisfy your neckstabbing needs.

The Sombrero Kid says:

bear in mind the game that was teased was meant to be an mmo or something mmo-ey

7. aee says:

I am very curious about the “former Starbreeze talent on board”. Last I checked the Starbreeze veterans founded Machinegames and are still working on Wolfenstein – had they left it would have a very negative impact on that project.

8. sicilianomatt says:

Madison. you think Cynthia`s bl0g is unimaginable… last friday I got a great new audi after bringing in $6507 thiss month and-also, 10-k last-munth. without a question it is the best-work I have ever done. I started this 4 months ago and almost immediately began to bring home at least $76… per hour. why not check here star58.com