Prepare To Enter Extraction

By Craig Pearson on September 20th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

AWOOGA: Do not search on Youtube for “Extraction”. I went looking for some beta footage to add to this post, but without filtering the search the results turned out to be rather anatomical and spider-bitey. Luckily for me a defense mechanism kicked and I was only briefly exposed to the bitten bits of people before my tears and screaming blocked it all. But I’ve seen things, readers. Horrible things. What I was looking for was recent footage of Splash Damage’s Extraction, their in-development shooter set in the streets of London. I have reasons, and it involves you signing up to the closed beta.

It’s a fairly painless procedure: you click here, click the top right, and add a scant amount of details. But what did you just sign-up to? A free-to-play class-based shooter from the devs of Brink, Quake Wars, and most importantly Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. I can show you what it looks like. The following footage is the only direct-feed of the beta I could find. My eyes bled to get this footage, so you’d better watch it.

Like it? It’s very Brink-ish, isn’t it? I wonder if Splash damage are considering this a do-over for that strange, lost, oddball that I actually enjoyed? That said it has bits of all their games in there, somewhere. They are a company that has a thing-that-they-do, and I’ve mostly enjoyed that output, so I signed-up. Feel free to follow me in.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BobbyDylan says:

Stopped watching at F2P.

• MuscleHorse says:

I’m sorry. but that’s a rather misguided viewpoint. There’s been a good few games now that have shown F2P can work without hurting the gameplay. Tribes, TF2 and Planetside 2 spring to mind.

Crimsoneer says:

Except this is published by Nexon, a “traditional” Eastern f2p company – eg, make it as grindy and pay-to-win as humanly possible. They’re a F2P giant and they haven’t got there by being ethical about it.

• Christo4 says:

That is true. If this wasn’t associated with Nexon, EA or UBI i would have been pretty optimistic, but now I’m not so sure how it will be. Nexon is pretty known for it’s P2W model. I hope that they won’t do the same with this one, but time will tell.

• Seiniyta says:

You can actually calm down. Splash Damage (their words) keeps the creative control over their game and the way they monetize the game. Nexon doesn’t influence that. They just mostly provide server infrastructure, marketing etc.

It of course still can go wrong there of course. But then there’s no reason to blame Nexon for that and purely Splash Damage.

• BobbyDylan says:

TF2 might be the only exception. Tribes and Plannetside 2 take fucking months to unlock anything. And then it still feels like content is being held behind a paywall.

No, F2P is a cancer, and I hope it festers and dies soon.

• Christo4 says:

Hmm didn’t know those were the only f2p games out there. LoL, Dota 2, War Thunder, Hawken IMO have pretty good F2P models.

• Apocalypse says:

Indeed it took months, and yet those weapons you unlock were side-grades and those classes you unlook had each their own progress part, and if you don´t like the f2p part about tribes, than ffs just buy it for $35.

But yeah, the original xp cost were to high to be a rewarding mechanic for upgrading your weapons, which make the game a little bit dull in this regard as you used most of the time the same few load-outs you had.

Wisq says:

Planetside 2 has tons of weapons that are definite upgrades, not sidegrades. Try being an effective light aircraft pilot without air-to-ground rockets, or taking out said aircraft without one of the lock-on rocket launchers or dual AA MAX guns.

• Carighan Maconar says:

I’m sorry, but Tribes is an example of F2P done well? The game largely went under *because* of it’s overprized super-restrictive and most importantly balance-changing F2P system. And Planetside 2 is much better, but far from unproblematic in that regard.

• Apocalypse says:

Tribes went under for a completely different reason, because it was to hard for many people and they blaming imbalances for losing games. (And I don´t say the the initial new weapons were notorious bad balanced, but this issue was not really related to their F2P model, as the devs are notorious for their bad balance in this regard for their older games as well)

• Shooop says:

That’s not the worst part.

The worst part is the “Nexon” one.

2. MuscleHorse says:

I really wanted to like Brink. Hopefully this one will let me.

jezcentral says:

The main problem with Brink for me, as an SP, was the Bot AI. At a LAN party, I had a great time with it, with a bunch of others.

The guns will need to be a bit more varied this time, though.

3. Ansob says:

This sounds a lot like it’s going to suffer from some of the same issues that killed Brink – namely, it’s a game that punishes players for not playing as a team, and so pub games will be atrocious. Not a huge fan of the non-persistent level-up either, since they normally gate the good powers behind XP and so players doing badly keep on doing badly, and those doing well get better.

I hope they don’t change their mind about disallowing class customisation, though – that will go a long way towards giving a more balanced game, rather than Brink’s “there are three guns worth using” approach.

• DaviDeMo says:

pushing players for not playing as a team? Why this?
      If in Brink you don’t play as a team your team will loose in one minute if you are defending.

• lokhe says:

P-u-n-i-s-h-i-n-g. Not pushing. Quite the difference there ;)

• Seiniyta says:

In a well designed team game you reward players for contributing to the team through incentives (xp etc) so even the ‘lone wolf’ in pubs will contribute. Also, the lone wolf still likes getting in fights. So if you’re a lone wolf but all the action is happening around the escortable tank you’ll fight there and either help defend or push the tank forward. As long as it feels natural for the player to go in a particular direction and fight he’s in someway contributing.

Is he playing optimally for your team? probably not, but most pugs aren’t playing it ‘right’ anyway. Only when you’re on ventrillo/teamspeak with a bunch of other guys on your team and you’re planning and stuff it’s the most efficient. But that applies to most games wiht a team aspect, even TF2/BF3.

Crimsoneer says:

I really enjoyed Brink, and was really excited for this…but now it’s being published by Nexon, I really don’t trust them to not destroy it. They’re one of the worst Asian-grindest-f2p companies out there. I’m sure it will do just fine for SD, but not for me or other competitive shooter fans, I suspect.

5. DaviDeMo says:

Brink? No thanks. I really hope this will be more like Enemy Territory.
    Brink was too much a console game port to PC :-(

• bstard says:

Talking bout ET, I noticed Verdun on Steam which reminded me of the golden age of shooters, where the RTCW/ET dynasty ruled. Shame Verdun won tbe up-tempo it seems, but it might turn out nice.

Gap Gen says:

They should have renamed it to Hurty Bomb.

• Bostec says:

Thats what i’m going to say every time I go to the toilet now. Cheers Gappy!

lowprices says:

I also enjoyed Brink, and probably would be looking forward to this if it weren’t free to play. As it is, I’ll wait to hear how the business model affects the gameplay before trying it.

• lokhe says:

It’s free? :p You could just play it for half an hour and get a pretty good idea of how “grindy” it is.

8. VileThings says:

Brink had a brilliant back story and art design,but utterly lacked in the one thing a video game is supposed to shine: the gameplay. It was just average run-of-the-mill with hardly anything new. Sure, there were these odd parkour-like movements you could do, but those were hardly game changers. If Extraction is just more of the same (which it looks like so far) it won’t stand a chance in today’s gaming world. Hardly any other area is so hard-fought over and offers as many options as the first-person multiplayer shooter genre.

9. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I now see you as Kurtz in Apocalypse Now ” I’ve seen horrors…………………………And then I realized… like I was shot… like I was shot with a diamond… a diamond bullet right through my forehead.”

10. Yosharian says:

No no no, no fucking way am I being fooled again after Brink

deadfolk says:

Okay, Craig. Because it’s you, I’ll give it a go.

12. The Random One says:

The best thing in Brink was to play as the Heavy class wearing the primp starting tie-and-suit. Will this game have large men in ties?