World To Remain World Of Warplanes-Less Until Nov

By Nathan Grayson on September 21st, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Oh what a strange state of affairs. Ours is a world that’s had war since time immemorial and planes since the Wright brothers realized that flapping their arms really hard would only make birds laugh at them, but a combination of all those elements? A World of Warplanes, if you will? That’s apparently a much taller order. The World of Tanks stablemate has been in beta for a decent many months, but it’s still not quite ready for primetime. So instead of revving up for takeoff this month, it’ll stay in the hangar until November.

But what’s going on? Did the developers realize that – gasp – they completely forgot to add planes to World of Warplanes? Are they now hastily duct-taping wings onto tanks? Did Wargaming spend a month meditating in the mountains and return as ConscientiousObjectorGaming? No, no. Nothing of the sort. Instead, this is simply a matter of balance and polish. Director of global operations Vlad Belozerov explained:

“We are committed to releasing a great title and are doing everything to ensure that World of Warplanes gets the final polish we believe the game needs. The extra time will allow the development team to fine-tune the game balance and make sure that every feature is top-notch before launch.”

The new release date, then, is November 12th/13th (depending on timezone). On the upside, all experience gained during open beta will carry over once Wargaming pushes the big red launch button, so records of your most legendary dogfights won’t simply disappear into dust the second an arbitrary date comes to pass.

Who’s been playing this one so far? I have a fair deal of experience with World of Tanks, but I’ve yet to try World of Warplanes. Does it scratch a similar accessible-but-deceptively-complex itch, but with planes instead of tanks? Or is WoWP more of its own animal?

, .

1. BooleanBob says:

As I understand it, the actual reason is because War Thunder.

• Sc0r says:

This.
      And everyone knows it.

• FF56 says:

Is war thunder good?

• GernauMorat says:

I’m rather enjoying it, despite my usual reserve at all things ftp. Generally play a few matches in the evening

• Aaarrrggghhh says:

Yes, it is. I play it almost every evening for a few matches and I really like it. Even without throwing money at it it’s an enjoyable experience. Although progressions seems a bit slow at times. But hey, there are plenty of nations to choose from if one bores you ;)

Feel free to use the following link to register (you get some free ingame real money currency in the process)

• GernauMorat says:

Wot Aaarrrggghhh said. Also, do the tutorials as they give you a chunk of both premium currency and the in game one. Haven’t spent a penny of real money.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

I’ve been really enjoying it, as mentioned above progress is a bit glacial but playing historic mode (more realistic flight model) gains you more xp than an arcade battle, watch out for idiots trying to ram you though.

2. flatline says:

They apparently found some major bugs when they tried to apply the latest patch that included the British planes on the Russian server.

It’s definitely a lightweight title compared to War Thunder, BUT it works very well as a quick dog fighting game similar to World of Tanks. I’ve played roughly 800 battles in the beta and it’s been improving with every patch. A game usually lasts for 5 minutes, which somewhat ironically is the gamest strongest point. Another good thing about it is that while my GF hates World of Tanks with a passion, she thinks WoWP is good entertainment.

3. drakkenson says:

The picture is pretty, but where are the propeller blades? I can’t see even the blurred disk of fast-moving blades…
    I am not criticising anything, I only felt something was odd about the picture…

• phelix says:

Just as odd, why does the central propeller axis seem to stand still (the blade ‘hardpoints’ are easily visible) when the blades are apparently spinning too fast to even be captured as a blur?

• Spakkenkhrist says:

He’s going to be really embarrassed when he realises he’s forgotten his propellor.

4. Zoso says:

World of Warplanes is all right for a bit of drop-in arcade type fun, but flying in it feels really clunky compared to War Thunder, plus War Thunder has three modes of control spanning no-worries-arcade-blasting to fiddle-with-the-prop-pitch realism (albeit not right up there with DCS) which gives it that added complexity after the easy introduction.

5. Capt. Raven says:

Unlike WoT, this is actually a fun to play game. I still don’t like their F2P model with 12 dozen different currencies+optional subscription and premium planes, but whatevs, you can have fun in this one without investing in it. I actually really, really appreciate the simple flight model and quickly dropped my gamepad for the much tighter mouse+kb control scheme. I can recommend this game.

If you like a more realistic flight model, give War Thunder a try. The game is at least equally as great, but a bit more complex. Also you can choose to play “realistic” missions in WT, which make the flight model even harder but also more interesting – and War Thunder has actual, fully rendered 3D cockpits!!

• battles_atlas says:

I’m pretty sure its two different currencies – gold and silver. Not massively compex no?

I want WG to pull the plug on this sub-War Thunder folly, as its my WoT money that is paying for it. Dump this and stick the resources into the Warships game instead, which still has a chance of success. Or just, you know, spend it on WoT itself.

• Koozer says:

I’m the opposite. WoWP feels too shallow to enjoy, compared to WoT (or War Thunder) which I love. In WoWP you don’t really need to plan ahead, worry about visibility too much, armour values, sloping, looking out for enemy scouts etc. etc. You don’t even need to worry about energy conservation or G-forces.

Saying that, I still play WoWP every day to farm tokens (free beta version of paid for currency) so I can buy a premium account for WoT (+50% xp and credits income). :D

6. Notelpats says:

I will be giving World of Warplanes a miss. It really just seems.. rather bland. I will most likely be sticking to War Thunder for my plane-shooting needs.

I’d really like to give the ships a go though. (Be it in War Thunder or World of Watsies).

7. P.M. Gleason says:

If you’re looking for something more sim-like in a dogfighting game then just stick with DCS, although it is an expensive game.

Both WoWP and War Thunder are just arcade games, and to an extent I don’t see a very large difference between them, but I’m a snobbish simmer, so take that for what it’s worth.

• dagudman says:

War Thunder has a realistic mode where you play in the cockpit (the camera is locked) and you control the pitch rudder and flaps ( I am not sure if it is flaps, but I forgot). You also can run out of ammo or fuel and you have to go back to get more. You can destroy your plane from going too fast and the enemies aren’t marked, you have to find them. Also you have to take off from the runway which is probably the hardest thing to do.

8. dagudman says:

*cough*War Thunder*cough*is better*cough*. Sorry, I have a bad cough. I meant to say that War Thunder is better.

9. WGA_Jasysae_Pl says:

Hello :)
    It’s good that there is competition in the market. It makes each game get better and better for their players. WoWP is still in development for example and as we’ve seen with WoT patches, they continue to add new planes and tech trees with each patch. In the end choose the game that’s the most fun to play, but always give both of them a shot.
    It’s free to play. Why not give it a shot?
    Wargaming English Ambassador – Jasysae