Chaos Reborn To Birth Multiplayer Demo “Soon”

By Jim Rossignol on September 23rd, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

The old people who remember and love Chaos will doubtless soon be pointing younger folk at Chaos Reborn, which is to be a remake of the original by that genius Julian Gollop (who once gave me an unopened copy of Laser Squad for the C64, which I still treasure, despite not having seen a functional Commodore 64 in perhaps twenty years). The muscular news sentinels of US Gamer spotted that Mr Gollop has been writing about progress on a multiplayer demo of the new game, with an estimate of “soon” for its delivery unto the internet. Soon! That’s means it might just be closer than ages away.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Matfink says:

Although the initial screens look… ‘different’ – can’t wait – one of my top games of all time along with Rebelstar :)
    In fact I gave up waiting and started making a mobile version myself a few months before this was announced.
    Ah well, don’t want to tread on my heroes toes.

2. Stardreamer says:

As much as I love the new design I worry that the visual simplicity being lost might be detrimental to the overall experience. I worry that that the added tactical factors like height advantages will dilute the experience too far.

I worry because Chaos is possibly the greatest game ever made, one I’ve been playing since the ZX Spectrum version (and every unofficial remake inbetween – Chaos Groove for the win), and I want this to be the very best version of the game ever released. Although how it will do that without all the cool TV-sampled effects from Martin Brownlow’s Atari ST version (that Chaos Groove expanded upon), I don’t know. For me they’re as much a part of the Chaos experience as the rest of the game:

“There can be only one!” *wizard explodes*

3. tigerfort says:

I’m informed by a geologist that “soon” means “almost certainly within the next four thousand years”. Which narrows it down a bit, when dealing with video game releases.

4. ChiefOfBeef says:

Well that Spectrum game sounds like a rip-off of the PC classic Sacrifice.

5. Ny24 says:

I have a functioning C64!

6. Freud says:

What are the odds? The Escapist also has a journalist called Kieron Gillen.