Project Reality 2 Will Be CryEngine Standalone

By Jim Rossignol on September 23rd, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Battlefield 2 (and Arma) mod Project Reality was famed for its, well, realism, and grew a considerable following as a result. The astonishingly committed team have decided that their achievements now warrant a bit more than a mod for the next stage in multiplayer manshoot proceedings, and are embarking on a commercial project for the next version of the game. The Project Reality team explain: “Project Reality 2 (or simply “PR2″) will be a free to play multiplayer FPS PC game, based off of the critically acclaimed Project Reality modifications for Battlefield 2 and ARMA 2. Unlike our previous projects, PR2 will be a completely standalone game that will require no retail game to play.” The game will once again support an “Advance and Secure (or “AAS”) style game mode”, and the familiar commitment to realism, and this time will be constructed from scratch in CryEngine. Work began in 2012, but could take a while yet – the team are looking for help over here.

, , .

DarkLiberator says:

Can’t wait to see what they could do with CryEngine 3. They did a great job with the mod. To me its a perfect balance between ArmA and Battlefield series.

• Grey Poupon says:

I’m really hoping the ArmA 3 team manages to capture the spirit of PR with their release as well as it’s bound to come a lot sooner than the standalone and A3 has such an excellent atmosphere, it just lacks a good AAS mod that people would actually play. Oh, and helicopters that are actually hard to fly. PR is what made BF2 for me. I’ve played it so much more than the vanilla game.

Hope these guys get the recognition they so deserve.

2. kobadow says:

Brilliant news. I’ve yet to find anything that balances fun with realism quite like BF2 Project Reality.

The shots look great.

3. DaftPunk says:

But looking at how long it took them to make Project Reality,when are they going to release this. After 5 years when this will look dated xD

4. Megakoresh says:

They are in for a fun ride. Me? I will look for enjoyment elsewhere.

• The_Player says:

Keep us posted, friend.

purex. says:

We appreciate you and your valid, interesting and constructive opinions and hope you get back to us with your presumably groundbreaking findings on this subject.

5. Derppy says:

Damn I hope this will be great and EA will see what kind of opportunity they missed by killing the modding scene around Battlefield.

Having played the original PR mod for BF2 and knowing how it took the game to a whole new level, BF3 feels like such a waste of fantastic assets and an engine. It has potential to be so much more than an absolutely brainless score farming deathmatch.

While PR2 probably doesn’t attempt ARMA-level of realism, it’s nice to have even some competition in the field. Currently if you want teamwork-based combined arms warfare, ARMA is the only option and Bohemia can get away with not polishing the game and pushing out stuff that barely works, because the community doesn’t have any alternatives that come even close.

The small map sizes aren’t that bothering, as long as the game and it’s netcode work well. I’ll rather take a 2km area where the enemy moves smoothly and I can reliably kill him with well aimed shots, than 250km area where enemies warp around like crazy and cheaters teleport you to the middle of the ocean.

6. Spacewalk says:

Kick AAS.

7. DXN says:

Sweeeeeet! I still play BF2 PR all the time. Sure, it’s not a powerful, do-almost-anything tool like Arma, but it’s much tighter and more refined in a lot of ways. The feel, look and sound of the gunplay is just fantastic, I really can’t think of anything better even in modern games – albeit with a couple of minor, engine-based constraints. Many of the maps are more complex and interesting than Arma’s relatively flat, dull terrains. The game modes are simple but effective. The community is mostly fantastic at self-organising into effective squads and teams. It’s just a joy.

F2P does raise something of an eyebrow and the failure of Arma PR does show it’s not an infallible formula. But the team is super professional and ambitious and I’m very stoked to see what they can achieve with a whole new engine that they really have full control over.

8. pr2.foxhound says:

Hi Guys,
    Thank you for your kind words.
    Just a few things we want to clarify,
    Project Reality 2, is currently not a “Commerical” game, it is in fact remaining a community project which when we release will be a free to download and play. This leads to Megakoresh’s comments;
    “Yet another F2P FPS. This time a realistic F2P. So they somehow aim to mix F2P, which doesn’t mix well with most genres, with FPS, which is the worst genre to mix with F2P, with competitive FPS, which is the worst of the worst to mix with F2P, and with realism.”
    As many of the people who have played PR they will know that PR is not just another F2P FPS, Our game mechanics, gameplay are probably the best that is going around and thats because of the community which has been built around the development. There appears to be this misunderstanding of what F2P means, unlike games like World of Tanks or War Thunder, where you can purchase ingame credit to buy new gear and equipment, PR2 will not incorporate any such transactions in the game nor are we looking at doing this.

If Project Reality 2 goes commercial or kickstarter / steam we will defiantly make the public aware of it.

• Megakoresh says:

So it’s not free to play? Then it’s either free or standard business model.
      In that case Jim needs to change the wording in the article, because it’s misleading. Free to play means micro-transaction based business model in today’s world.

• pr2.foxhound says:

From our point of view it is free to play, As you will not be asked to pay any money to get our game, I understand that the “Today’s World” but in our books Free to play, is exactly that, FREE.

• Derppy says:

So how are you planning to fund future development?

I find it hard to believe you’d be making an absolutely free game with no plans to monetize it. If you are, all glory to you, but I just found the answer pretty confusing.

F2P is a very tricky business and I’m sure majority of your current fanbase would rather just buy the game than see you fall into the pit of pay-to-win when the cosmetic skins didn’t sell enough.

• SanguineAngel says:

He or she seems to be clearly saying that it is 100% free, with no micro transactions or up front cost. They are using the term free to play possibly partly to make the point that the term has been pretty heavily twisted from its literal meaning.

• 12inchPlasticToy says:

From what I can gather, this is basically a mod for 2 games that is now going its own standalone way, purely developped by the community of the initial mod + additional talents required. It’s admirable.
            Hopefully they will go the same way as BIS making their game easily moddable.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

:oD Prepare for a bumpy ride on here with that logical take on reality!

Edit: See ^^^^^^^^

• Hahaha says:

@Megakoresh

Please don’t force your bullshit twisted meaning of words on to the rest of us

• The Random One says:

No, that’s absolutely correct. What the devs meant was that the game is free, or freeware if you’re looking to be a tad more specific. Free to play does imply microtransactions, because it means the game is free to PLAY, but you pay for something in it.

Now open your textbook to page 365 and let’s start talking about MOBARTS.

• StoneMason says:

I genuinely wish you the very best of luck. If you do decide to go commercial, the money I won’t be spending on Battlefield 4 is there waiting.

• Synesthesia says:

That is amazing. Hat off to you. Can’t wait to see what you can make with cryengine!

• SuicideKing says:

Awesome. Though if you do put it up on steam/kickstarter, i’m sure an initiative like this will get adequate support. I’d buy it, at least.

After all, who hasn’t played Arma 3 and wished it was based on Frostbite 3 or CryEngine 3?

• DXN says:

FYI I would absolutely donate to a Kickstarter if it would help. Very pleased (if a little taken aback!) that this is remaining, as I understand it, a non-profit project — not bending the gameplay to accomodate transactions is very good news. Being free will also mean a lot for building and maintaining a community / active servers as time goes on. But I’d almost feel guilty playing it for nothing at all — so a KS or even just a tip jar/donations page would be great. :3

• Gonefornow says:

If it’s not F2P how about calling it Freeware.
      That’s quite hard to misunderstand.

9. JToTheDog says:

I am excited but also very pessimistic. Excited because PRBF2 is awesome and does all the things I like right, so this is good news.

Pessimistic because I’ve seen that PR2 info on their site since what 2010/11 (?) and the only new info is “yeah Cry Engine 3″. If they are aiming for the quality of PR for PR2, then it’s gonna be even longer till release.
    Also this “free2play” sounds vague and weird and like it may cause a lot of problem.
    Yes I may sound pessimistic but I’m old enough to have seen quite a lot of games, aimed at my rather narrow field of appreciation, gone the way of vaporware (still waiting for Infinity Universe). Which of course makes my heart heavy.
    So what my old ass does nowadays is to just be happy that they are at least trying to get it done, but not bother with it and not be dragged a long with a hype train.

So good for you! Good luck and I hope you get it done! If it is released with in a timely manner I will most definitely be putting a lot of hours in to it. But I wont be sitting here waiting for another couple of years waiting and hoping for something.

10. P.Funk says:

If they can get the license for the engine then I don’t see how they couldn’t release it absolutely free. PR has gathered a lot of affection over the years and who knows, maybe they’ve been saving up. In any case whats so incredible is the notion of making such a game in this manner and not desiring to make profit from it. This would be a remarkable PC title.

I am as thrilled about this news as I was the day I first played PR BF2 nearly 5 years ago.

11. Comrade Roe says:

Wow, this and Traction Wars, when GTA V comes on PC I’m gonna have my palette full!