Oh Me, Oh: Maia Coming To Steam Early Access In Dec

By Nathan Grayson on September 24th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

I feel even worse for the other band of colonists that got stranded while excavating that sun.

Maia really does sound insanely marvelous, doesn’t it? It’s got all the complexity of a whirring, churning management simulation paired with the more down-to-earth-space personal side of something like The Sims or even Dwarf Fortress. The game’s planet is a harsh, unwelcoming place, but it greeted Adam with a brain-warming embrace. He quickly fell in love, and – via the ropey spinal strands of our official hivemind apparatus – so did the rest of RPS. But when can you pluck your own bendy straw into Maia’s thick systemic stew? Well, you’ve still got a bit of a wait ahead of you, but December’s not that far off.

Developer/floating brain deity Simon Roth made the Early Access release date announcement via a post on Maia’s Kickstarter:

“I’m setting the date for an early access Steam launch as December 3rd. It’s still quite far away, but we don’t want to rush into it. With the direct pre-orders having scored us £12000 or so, we have a little more leeway and have no immediate need for a big cash injection. There’s a lot of work to go in before we release the alpha to the masses. Although getting everyone of you Steam keys is very important to me, having anywhere from ten to a hundred thousand new testers overnight would be a bit much to handle.”

Meanwhile, Roth’s currently working on adding destructibility to all objects in the game such that environmental hazards like harsh solar winds wear away at structures and things over time. Also on the way: a livestock room with chicken reproduction (!!!). Which is good, because chickens have a hard time reproducing without their own rooms. Or air.

But yes, December. I’m quite ready for that to be now. How about you?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. int says:

Was this the game with fluid fluids? My friend the General wants to know.

• RedWurm says:

Yes, this is the one with the lava made of marmite.

• RedViv says:

Tasty!

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Lava: Less controversial than Marmite?

• The Ultimate Clone of The Ultimate Warrior says:

Lava only kills you. You melt or you fossilize. I think. But with Marmite, you have a 50/50 chance of choking on it’s repulsiveness. Or having a Heart Attack from how lovely it is. Basically, that viscous black shit will kill you in two separate and unique ways! Like anything written by Karen Traviss.

2. VCepesh says:

This may actually be the first time, when I’ll bother with Early Access.

Chickens are a nice throwback to DK, but I certainly hope they are not meant for consumption. Surely an advanced space-faring planet-colonizing society would have much more practical ways to derive sustenance than poultry and stock-breeding.
    I hope they are for experiments.

• mgardner says:

We are nine years away from the events depicted in the film Soylent Green. Surely someone has started working on this technology, but I can’t find anything similar on Kickstarter. Maybe it is being privately funded.

3. Tom De Roeck says:

well, so far the alpha has been about getting the engine to work, and work well. I hope that in that time, the upcoming three months, I hope they finally put some gameplay in.

4. Dave Tosser says:

Craig already made that pun. Keep up, American.
    Both make me think more of Brass Eye’s love song to Myra Hindley than the original song.

5. iridescence says:

I don’t like “early access”. You don’t know what you’re getting. I don’t consider it the same as crowdfunding. If a game is out on Steam it should be done. You should not charge full price for an alpha.

But this game does look very good. I regret not backing it on KS and will be buying it when it’s done.

6. Tams80 says:

This is the only Kickstarter (of any type, not just a game) that I have backed. It’s turning into a good investment. I wish I’d pledged more, but the cost difference what I pledged and the next interesting one was a little too big.