Flashback Remake Coming To PC Next Week

By Jim Rossignol on September 25th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

The remake of French cyber-classic Flashback is set to arrive on PC on October 1st. I understand from its appearance on consoles that it is a botched mess, which entirely fails to capture the brilliance of the original (a game which I regard as one of my formative experiences as a human being) and is therefore not really worth getting excited about. But that’s still news, eh?

Trailer below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. GhostWulve says:

Personally I liked Out of this World more than Flashback, but both have quite fantastic narratives though.

2. Alien426 says:

Hmm, so VectorCell botched its own IP (Amy) and now a remake… Don’t expect anything from them in the future. If they survive.

3. Jekhar says:

I played the demo for about five minutes on the 360 before quitting. I don’t know what they were thinking. If nothing else, the original was known for it’s fluid and elaborate animations. This remake utterly fails on that front. For example, if you turn around while running full speed, you just turn on a dime and keep running. There is no inbetween animation of you turning like in the original. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Then they replaced the enemies with swarms of flying drones, turning it in a non-stop twin stick shooter at some places. I would say avoid this one and replay the original instead, you will have a far better time.

4. Stardreamer says:

Here Lies

Excitement.

Born 25/09/2013 10:23
    Died 25/09/2013 10:24

“We barely knew him”

5. madeofsquares says:

Wow. Now that’s voice acting!

6. NothingFunny says:

wow its ugly as hell
    a mess indeed

7. AmBrew says:

Such a shame I was really looking forward to this :(

8. Ninja Dodo says:

I don’t remember Nathan Drake being in the original Flashback.

9. Moni says:

Awesome… Sauce.

10. Bishop says:

Looks like a bad photocopy of Shadow Complex.

11. Solidstate89 says:

Yeah, I watched Jesse Cox do a short playthrough of one of the opening levels. It looked utterly boring.

12. PostieDoc says:

Shame, one of my favourite Amiga games.
    I don’t understand the thinking behind this remake.

Now have the urge to boot up the old Amiga and play the original again.

13. Kevashim says:

Ok, I created an account at RPS just to make this post.

Don’t buy this game.

Don’t buy this steaming pile of rotting excrement. It is easily the worst videogame purchase I have made in the last year (maybe longer). The game exhibits all of the worst changes that have happened to games since the original Flashback was released:
    – Pointless atmoshpere killing music every time an enemy is nearby? Check
    – Tons of enemies, literally everywhere? Check
    – Shoddy controls and poor collision/edge detection? Check
    – Incredibly bad voice acting? Check
    – A pointless shoe-horned love interest? Check
    – Arbitrary collectables at odds with the game world and plot? Check
    – Skippable cutscenes that have a “Press Y to skip” prompt that is always visible in every cutscene and can’t be turned off? Check

Seriously, this is an amazingly bad game and is not worth anyone’s money. Don’t buy this game.

The 360 version (and I assume the PC version) includes the original game as a “bonus”. This was the reason I bought it thinking “Well at least if the remake is bad, I will have a copy of the original which I love”. I didn’t quite anticipate just how badly this would also be screwed up. The original is played by selecting an arcade cabinet at the side of the menu screen. The view then switches to looking at the cabinet with a tiny screen in the middle of it on which the orignal game is playing. This is the view for the whole time you play the original, with a massive pointless and intrusive border around the edge of it. Even better, they decided to remove all of the music from the version of the original that is included, tearing away a ton of the immersion and charm. Shoddy, shoddy, shoddy.

Once again, in case you skipped to the end of my rant, it’s just downright awful.

Don’t buy this game.

14. rapchee says:

this is a bit unrelated but perhaps someone knowledgeable will stumble upon it:
    i’ve played a french (90% sure) a early 3D sci-fi adventure game at a friend’s
    i remember the part we played was about looking at stuff in the protagonists own apartment, peeking out to the corridor, then going out to meet someone. maybe it was a demo because i don’t remember anything after this.
    i think it was like resident evil, fixed background with 3d characters, but i’m not absolutely sure
    could someone tell what game this might be?

15. Axyl says:

All I wanna do is buy the Original Flashback, digitally for PC.

But alas, no. This is apparently fucking impossible.

Fuck this crappy remake.

GOG, step up and get us the original!

• scatterlogical says:

Might I recommend getting the zSNES emulator and tracking down a rom for Flashback. I won’t imply how you might source such things, although I do think it’s warranted given the situation that we’ll now never see a reasonable port of the game. I’ll say the SNES version plays very nicely with the pixel filtering that zSNES offers. Truly lovely enhancement on the classic graphics, with the guarantee that that original game is otherwise unbuggerfucked.

16. TechnicalBen says:

I honestly thought it would just be a HD overlay. At least the people behind Abes odesy realize what made the original great.

17. Miltrivd says:

This is the first time that I resent you guys for an article…

So excited with the title, so quickly crushed those hopes, they couldn’t even blossom and expand their horizons.

These were the saddest 2 mins of my week.

Comment on this story