Jeff Strokes: Batman: Arkham Oranges Trailer

By Craig Pearson on September 26th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

WAFT!
I think we can all agree that the only DLC the upcoming Batman: Arkham Oranges needs is an “Adam West Mode”, where every punch is received with an awesome orchestral blare, where the goons go down with “POW!” and “KERBLOINK!” floating over their heads, and where Batman’s disturbingly manly pecs are replaced with the flat, grey tube that was Batman’s chest before he discovered nippled Kevlar. To me that’s proper DLC: the sort of silly, experimental nonsense that developers should be attempting with those gaming buboes. Meanwhile, in the stupid real world where gritty and humourless is easier to sell than whimsy and delight, the first DLC will be the “Deathstroke Challenge Pack”, and will focus on the hitting things. Trailer below.

The Deathstroke Challenge Pack will feature two challenge maps, including the 100 to 1 level you’ll see in the trailer, and some skins. We’re in the land of the pre-order bonus, but don’t take this post as encouragement to do so. I’m only adding it because it’s the first concentrated man-punching I’ve seen from the game, so it’s strange they’re showing it with a tertiary character and not Bats. That said, the action here is of a different timbre, with Jeff Stokes’ staff slowing things down a tad. Is it me or does it make the fighting seem a bit less fluid than the liquid movements of the previous games?

This is out 25th October and they really need to license that engine to make a wresting game.

, , , .

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Does Deathstroke have a friend called Killcaress? Murderpat? Slaughterfondle?

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Maimgently is the only one I’m aware of.

amateurviking says:

You’re forgetting his half brother Jimmeny Vinegarstroke, who’s career took a somewhat different trajectory.

• Turkey says:

Deathstroke doesn’t have any friends. He only deathstrokes by himself.

• Syra says:

Well he has a little known twin called paralysingstroke, its tragic really…

• SuicideKing says:

Voldesauron?

• TooGoodToCheck says:

Slaughterfondle thought it should be obvious to everyone that his monicker actually referred to the death of certainty, but people were getting the wrong idea, so he changed it to the more absurdist Vroomfondle, and his pro philosophy career has really picked up since then

Gap Gen says:

Deathstroke is the world’s worst known swimming technique.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Deadpool?

• Tammi741 says:

my friend’s step-sister makes $73 every hour on the laptop. She has been unemployed for 9 months but last month her income was $18568 just working on the laptop for a few hours. view publisher site..

—> http://www.works25.com

2. Phantom_Renegade says:

For me at least the combat stuff is the least interesting in the batman games. I’m enjoying myself the most when I’m stealthily picking off guys, making them panic. If they made a game with just predator challenge maps, I’d buy the shit out of that. With all the other nonsense being put out I can’t believe they didn’t put predator map packs up as DLC.

• Deadly Sinner says:

I used to think the same thing until I played the challenge maps and realized that the stealth was basically bating enemies into incredibly specific situations which could almost be scripted, while the combat was one of the most fun rhythm games I have ever played. The 80 hours I somehow racked up during City will attest to that last bit.

However, if we are talking about only the campaign, I will partially agree with you, since you only fight a few people at a time, so there’s no challenge, while the stealth is a little bit more freeform.

• Phantom_Renegade says:

I…I never really thought about it like that. I still don’t really enjoy the combat on it’s own though which means you just ruined batman games for me. Thanks for that.

3. HadToLogin says:

My hype towards Batman went down when I read it again went to bed with Sony. From day-1 buy it went down to “maybe $5 goty winter 2014 sale”.

Yeah, I know it’s only DLC. But I don’t need to support someone who prefers company money over customers. They already got their money anyway.

• hitnrun says:

Their DLC antics with the last game have already made this a 2014 release for me. I can’t stand having content that should be free dangled in my face when I take home a game, particularly when I know that the complete edition will be out next year.

With the tidal wave of backlog brought on by bundles and Steam sales and what not, I have to be pretty excited about a game that I know is a DLC factory to drop full price on it day 1.

4. Winged Nazgul says:

You will need to be on the PS3 to get the exclusive Adam West Batman skin:

• Squirrelfanatic says:

I bat it will be included in the obligatory Game of the Year Edition for the PC version as well. Just(ice) another reason to wait with a (pur)chase.

5. SuicideKing says:

Oranges have an origin too, you know.

6. Freud says:

I like Arkham Asylum better than the sequel. I thought they moved too much into todays games that are so eager to yell to the player go there, see that, do that, pick up that, unlock this. Add that the core gameplay was more or less identical to AA and it got a bit repetitive and felt like a grind. Lots of games make me feel that way today. Next to Arkham City, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3 and Assassin’s Creed are main offenders lately.

Vandelay says:

Although I get your point, I thought the combat really stepped up a notch in the sequel. It was great in the original, but the way they easily allowed you to integrate gadgets into your fights gave an incredible feeling that makes me doubtful I could really go back to the original (I did try Arkham Asylum on my brother’s Xbox and it felt incredibly cumbersome, but that might just be my lack of familiarity with the control scheme.)

Hopefully they can combine the best of both worlds in Arkham Origins, although I am more interested in what the next Batman game from Rocksteady will be.

• hitnrun says:

Agreed, Freud. The Grand Theft Batman world design in the sequel was a major step back from the glorious, immersive stalk through Arkham Asylum. It showed in the little things: fewer animation frames and less choreography for small motions.

They also made the world smaller in order to accommodate its bigness, which was the opposite of the first game’s magic. The very first thing everyone does after donning the Batsuit in AC is try to shoot their grapnel like the first game and get yanked like 300 yards (274.3 meters) by its prodigious range.

Add to that the fetch questing and the absolutely absurd decision to have half the map taken up by the last dungeon that has to be tediously circumvented to do everything and I was a little disappointed. Still a 4.5 star game.

• jonahcutter says:

Arkham City improved on the gameplay in every way. But suffered badly in the narrative department. Open world doesn’t lend itself to rhythm or flow in storytelling. Plus the idea of the whole city being turned into a prison felt like a large cop-out on their part, to avoid having to populate it with any sort of civilians.

Side quests, while potentially fun, can break immersion and tension quite badly. I’m supposed to be rushing across town to rescue somebody in peril, but hey I just stumbled across this xp-providing puzzle! Or there’s this fly-through-the-hoops challenge to get a gold medal in!

Arkham Asylum’s story, and storytelling, was far superior.

Gap Gen says:

Do you get to kill the Joker in this one, or is the point still that for Batman fighting crime is a distraction from the tedium of being a rich playboy, and frankly he doesn’t care that thousands die if he lets the Joker live because they’re all poor anyway.

• tyren says:

This is a prequel. As in, takes place before the two previous games that starred the Joker. ;)

That said, I’m guessing you haven’t played Arkham City.

• Deadly Sinner says:

I know you’re joking, but it’s the responsibility of the state to kill the Joker. They’ve certainly had enough chances with all of the times that the Joker has been caught. Batman is not Judge Dredd, he’s just the guy with the skill that the cops don’t have to catch criminals.

• tellrov says:

The point is Batman is as crazy as the villains. You shouldn’t apply logic to the hero’s actions if you’re not gonna do the same for people like Riddler and Two-Face.

Anyway I just hope Joker doesn’t turn out to be the final boss again though I’m sure he will be.

• jonahcutter says:

It’s a defining characteristic of the character to not kill. Yeah it doesn’t make sense in the larger picture. But it not making sense is part of the character too. People don’t make sense sometimes.

Frank Miller’s Dark Knight Returns touches on this a bit during Batman’s final showdown with the Joker. If you haven’t read it, it’s pretty great and worth your time. You even get a couple brief but interesting windows into the Joker’s thought process. It’s amongst my favorite sequences in comics, and the final result of the showdown is perhaps my single favorite panel in all comics.

Batman has typically been a wealthy man’s fascist power fantasy about what ails society and how to fix it. Beating up street thugs and mafia soldiers is really a waste of his time for the problems he’s trying to fix. The damage they do, and the corruption they represent, is peanuts compared to what is inflicted by wealthy power-brokers and CEOs. The rest of the Bruce Waynes of the world.

• Zekiel says:

@jonahcutter re Dark Knight Returns: YES. But bloody hell the Joker is scary in that comic. I have never been so repulsed by him as I was there. ~Shudder~

8. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Keep doing the Oranges thing, I swear it gets funnier every time.