No Joke: South Park Finally Gets Release Date

By Nathan Grayson on September 26th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

STOP LOOKING AT ME

Once upon a time, South Park: The Stick of Truth was all set to come out and be playable and have violence and swear words and do all that good stuff games have been known to do. Then THQ kerploded into a thunderous rain of burning dollars, and the Uncertain Times began. Ubisoft pulled Obsidian’s off-the-wall RPG from the wreckage, sure, but it flung the game into release limbo in the process. So we waited. And waited. And waited. And– oh hey, now we’re done waiting! South Park’s finally within spitting/mouth-shitting distance of the finish line, and it’ll be available to all come December 10th.

Yep, it still looks like a South Park episode, but that’s hardly a bad thing. I chuckled at most of the gags in the trailer, though I do wonder if Stick of Truth will have its rabbit-ear-and-channel-clicker cousin’s sharp eye for satire. I mean, fantasy RPGs are a pretty easy target for lampooning, as are “epic” tales of pretty much any sort. Here’s hoping Stick of Truth actually has something interesting to say. Otherwise… well, South Park in general isn’t exactly known for its consistency.

Still though, it’s good to hear that this one’s finally coming out. I kind of wish it wasn’t cannon-balling into one of the most crowded holiday gaming seasons in years, but oh well. Guess I’ll just use my holiday break to refrain from sleeping and eating in addition to working. And the rain check I’ll send to my family? I’ll decorate it with theĀ colored pencils. That way they’ll know how important they are to me.

, , , .

Lars Westergren says:

Looking forward to this very much. South Park is – eh, I can take it or leave it. I get the occasional chuckle out of it. But a big game from Obsidian! The leaked gameplay video looked really nice.

2. Abendlaender says:

It’s published by Ubisoft, right? So…..PC release March 2014 then?

Lars Westergren says:

Bit unclear. Some press releases said “PC release date will be shared at a late time”, but some claim that later press releases say Dec 10 for PC too, at least in NA. Perhaps RPS could get Ubisoft to give us a definite answer.

El_MUERkO says:

Amazon lists Grand Wizard editions for PS3 and 360 but not PC.

• MacTheGeek says:

The game’s Steam page just says “Available: 2013″ on it, as it’s done since THQ went belly-up.

• Bull0 says:

PC box at the end of the trailer with Available December 13th written underneath it. Looks clear enough to me. Also, how long until the twitstorm over the sexual assault jokes in the trailer?

• airmikee99 says:

Complaining about rape jokes in South Park is so 2010.

• Moraven says:

Or 1997, seeing how the alien probing was in the very first episode.

• Bull0 says:

Kind of my point

• airmikee99 says:

• Bull0 says:

Or, say, what fictional characters say in a webcomic.

• airmikee99 says:

Really? Mike Krahulik is a fictional character in a web comic? That’s amazing! He looks and sounds so real. Wonderful things we can do these days!

I dunno about your claim though.. Wikipedia has a picture of him, and he definitely does not look like a fictional character in a web comic.

• Bull0 says:

You’re being facetious. Simply put, PA do a comic with rape jokes in; everyone goes mental, they have to try and defend it, they do that poorly, etc. SP does a trailer with rape jokes in, nobody gives half a fuck. That doesn’t really seem fair. That’s my point.

• airmikee99 says:

The outrage over the comic is hardly worth mentioning, as it dissipated fairly quick after Mike apologized. A couple years later he repeated those comments, not through a comic, not through a fictional character, but through his own words in his own voice.

Matt and Trey have ALWAYS been this way, since 1997 at least. They’ve never apologized, and mock those that ask for apologies. They do not throw large events that supposedly cater to people that they have personally insulted.

Mike hasn’t always been this way, he has apologized, and he does throw large events that supposedly cater to people that he has personally insulted.

If you can’t see the difference, then your parents and school teachers failed you miserably, and deserve righteous slaps to their faces for raising you without the skills you need to understand the difference between fiction and reality.

• Bull0 says:

No, there’s no difference. These guys over here made a rape joke, there was an outcry, these guys over there make a rape joke, noone cares. Saying that it “isn’t worth mentioning” doesn’t make it so – those guys are in the place they’re in now because at the time, people gave them shit over their rape joke, but they’re not doing that here. Simple. You can say whatever you want about my upbringing or teachers or whatever, I’m very good at tuning out silly crap like that. I’m also done talking about this with you if you’re going to get weird and personal over it, it doesn’t add anything to the conversation. Cheers.

• airmikee99 says:

And we’ve come full circle:

“I guess I see a distinction between what a real live person says in front of thousands of people at a conference, and what fictional characters say on a television show.”

• Bull0 says:

And if you pretend that they didn’t say that entirely because they got torn apart over making a rape joke in their fictional cartoon once then what you’re saying makes perfect sense, and the personal insults you’re flinging around are totally valid.

• RProxyOnly says:

Guy’s, give it a fucking rest.. even I am getting sick and tired of the shit that dibbles out of peoples mouths/keyboards .. ALL IN THE NAME OF EQUALITY.

You know the constant pushing of one side of ANY arguement is the FURTHERST thing imaginable from being equal.. yeah?

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

airmikee99 – did you hear Mike/Gabe say anything, were you in attendance, or are you just regurgitating what you’ve read online going on what other people said? Honestly asking this with no snark – I’m not a fan of PA, but I can’t help think he’s been hugely misrepresented on this one (in all honestly, I think that’s the default for him).

You might want to read his account of things.

Take that as you will, but at least hear the guy’s side before badmouthing him. Maybe you already had, but I get the impression most people referencing the latest in the Dickwolves saga are going purely off second-hand information.

3. airmikee99 says:

Wow, I thought this had died, glad to see it will finally be released.

4. zappeo says:

This is awesome news, I can’t wait for it.
    Plus season 17 finally begun yesterday, yay! \o/

5. Moraven says:

Well, this won’t be getting a release in Australia.

RedViv says:

Nah the probes are okay now. But we don’t know if it has simulated drugs that give virtual avatars of characters in the game simulated super powers. THAT would be illegal.

• Tei says:

I hope the gameplay that come with this is good, because everything else seems excellent. (note: I was not talking about anal probes, I replied the wrong post)

6. kwyjibo says:

Can’t wait to try out the latest iteration of UPlay!

• Emeraude says:

There goes my enthusiasm…

bills6693 says:

Three cheers for always online DRM! I can’t play HOMM because of the DRM, it will not recognise that I am connected to the internet in the game and thus cannot access any content in the game. I love Ubi so much!

I wonder if it will even be on steam. Possibly going to be a UPlay/Origin exclusive.

• Kubrick Stare Nun says:

Pff… it has a steam page already.

• Emeraude says:

Charybdis , meet Scylla…

bills6693 says:

A steam page which:

Hasn’t been updated since THQ dissapeared.
          Still says its published by THQ and they hold all rights.
          Has not been changed to reflect a release date of any kind, or any sort of update.
          Does not have an attached community hub.

Its basically an old announcement page. Its something they could take down at a moments notice when they decide to pull the game from steam, with no impact.

Lars Westergren says:

It’s been either missing, or very non-intrusive (one time activation at install-time) in later Ubisoft titles, so I wouldn’t worry.

7. belgand says:

While I’m not looking forward to this at all I am looking forward to Obsidian being able to do other things. Get it out already so they can get back to making the sorts of things that I like.

8. satsui says:

I can’t wait for this and it’s nice to see the creators actually involved from beginning to end in the creation of this. Another trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soKBSzj5Vtg

9. Ian says:

Typical swish game trailer. I bet the graphics won’t be anything like that fancy in the final product.

Don Reba says:

Is this that fantasy RPG Obsidian has been developing?

• RProxyOnly says:

Not, it’s yet another project that Obsidian are half-arsing.. probably.

• Werthead says:

Technically there’s a few. There’s this, PROJECT ETERNITY (which is what I think you’re thinking of) and one of their dudes is also working on TORMENT: TIDES OF NUMENERA (as well as WASTELAND 2 for that matter) for inXile.

Actually, I don’t think we know what’s going on with Obsidian with regards to projects beyond this and ETERNITY. They’ve pitched new KotOR and FALLOUT games to Disney/EA and Bethesda respectively, but no word on if they’ve been successful so far. Hope they’ve got some more stuff lined up.

Lars Westergren says:

Most of the company has been working on a big “next-generation” RPG for publisher unknown for quite some time. They have been very close lipped about it, all they have confirmed is that it is NOT Fallout 4.

welverin says:

Funny that you say this is one of the most crowded holiday seasons in years, and yet there are only three games that I’ll actually be getting. I might get a few more eventually, maybe. But, yeah, not so crowded for me.

p.s. This is one of the three with Tearaway and Beyond: Two Souls.

jrodman says:

Tearaway sure looks neat. Sad I’m not really that interested in buying the gadget for it.