‘Roid Rage: Space: The Return Of The Pixxelfrazzer

By Craig Pearson on September 26th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Space: The Return Of The Pixxelfrazzer is answering a question about gaming that no-one thought to ask. It’s an obvious one, too. Up there with “What is The Doctor’s name?” (The answer is always “Jeff”, btw. Jeff Who, Doctorman.). It asks: “Where was the ship in Asteroids coming from and where was it going?”, then proceeds to answer that in an extraordinary burst of neon, quests, and physics. I started watching the trailer because Space: The Return Of The Pixxelfrazzer is a silly name, but by the end of it I was enthusiastically clicking the Greenlight page. There is a trailer and demo below.

It’s really quite the thing. A procedurally-generated Asteroids with planets, space-stations, and quests. In the dark of space, you will have brief moments where it feels like Asteroids, where the ship slips through a clump of passing rocks on the winds of inertia and blasts those sky blocks to pieces, but from the brief play I had with the demo that’s now a small part in an adventurous shooter. It feels like Asteroids, and the ship moves in that slippy way that you’re well aware of, but it can be upgraded with dazzling weapons to take on an array of enemies in their home space. There’s even a grappling hook.

If that got you interested, the demo is here.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. geldonyetich says:

Please tell me that me and Craig aren’t the only two people in the world who can look at a trailer largely featuring vector graphics and think to themselves, “This looks like it could be good. Very good.”

I mean, let me just drop this first little line I see on the Greenlight page:

Space – The Return Of The Pixxelfrazzer is an open-world sci-fi hack’n'slash.

MY SALIVATION IS UNCEASING.

• GamesInquirer says:

I like all sorts of graphics, vector included, though I must say they didn’t do a great job stylistically in this case. But hey, it’s the gameplay that matters.

• Tammi741 says:

until I saw the check four $9225, I accept that my sister realy bringing in money in their spare time from there labtop.. there friends cousin started doing this for only about sixteen months and a short time ago paid for the loans on there apartment and bourt a new Chevrolet. see ..

—> http://www.works25.com

2. GamesInquirer says:

Some cool stuff, I sure it’s good.

3. Tei says:

Could be interesting. But a game like this need a lot of subsystems, and for them to be very intuitive. Actually the vector graphics can hurt that, if are soo stylized that is hard to grasp was going on. The trailer uses epic music, and judging by the scale of the game seems deserved. Maybe.

4. trjp says:

Oh it’s another space ARPG!? – I’m not making that mistake again…

5. Swanny says:

It looks cool, but it’s annoying when it’s sliced into one-second shots for the entire length. I’d like an extra second to get my bearings and see what’s going on, please.

Edit- I can’t spell.

6. Beyond the Sea says:

Jeff Who? His name is obviously Dr Fields, of Trenzalore, which is a small village in Cornwall. Therefore William Hartnell was just an older version of that grumpy bloke played by Martin Clunes. It’s a blatant clue, innit, blatant!

• Shadowcat says:

I’m pretty sure his name is Hugh. The reason he answers only to “The Doctor” is that he got tired of people calling out “Yoohoo, Hugh Who!”, and then laughing as they found out how many times they could say it quickly without getting tongue-tied.

(The ones who thought he might be a tree doctor would say “Yoohoo, Hugh Who, do you hew yew?”)

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Kinda reminds me of Continuum, which was a pretty awesome black and white game available on the mac (at least).

Comment on this story