Step Inside For The Evil Within Footage

By Craig Pearson on September 27th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

EVIL BRAIN!
I watched this video for the The Evil Within and all I could think about was who signed the invoices for the components in the room of blades? After all, this is supposed to be a working care facility for people with severe mental disabilities, so there’s going to be a paper trail. It’s not a small machine: it is industrial-sized, and it spins on either side of a room, blades whirring as it slowly grinds victims. Is it a paper shredder? Who ordered it? And where did it come from? Is there an Evil Innovations catalogue, written by a biting staff writer, subbed by a production editor with a murky past before he hands it off to the dark art dept? And is it laid out in a Adobe InDesign (already pretty evil, tbh)?

Most of the footage is an extension of the recently released TGS trailer, so you get a little bit of context for that nonsense. It doesn’t make it look any less hokey, to be honest. But I appear to be in the minority in finding it all just a bit too ridiculous.

The Evil Within is without next year. Or is it? Mwahahaha! MWhAhahaAHHAA! MWAHAHAHAHAHAAHA! Sorry. I was thinking about an episode of Bottom. Yes, it’s out next year.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. staberas says:

Do you called that horror?

2. MuscleHorse says:

Please stop showing that image with the wire and the brain and the barbing. It makes me feel funny.

• Tridae says:

If that makes you feel funny then try not to imagine a tug of war with razor wire.

• Nim says:

I see a hangover or a really bad headache.

3. Vorrin says:

‘Hide in closet simulator 2014′

4. Beernut says:

I am in a bit of a mood today, so maybe that’s why I could only focus on the bad stuff. But the whole gameplay wreaks of console and the textures look like they’re from 2006. Maybe it’s just because the video was encoded poorly or all the grain is supposed to be some kind of artsy thing to make things look more atmospheric.

• HybridHalo says:

Probably because the footage does appear to be running on a console – You can see the controller prompts popping up on screen for an Xbox Controller.

• squareking says:

Yeah it reminds me of demo when dynamic lighting and realistic fabrics were brand new. I was wowed by that in the original Splinter Cell on Xbox. It’s still nice, but :shrug:

Overall it’s looking interesting, like someone played Resident Evil and Dead Space back to back and then read a paragraph about Silent Hill. It’s a shame I decided to watch this because the prologue opening is pretty effective. The chainsawy gentleman wins the Most Inept Serial Killer 2014 award though. Come on, guy.

MajorManiac says:

Perhaps its just the console version, but my experience of watching this video went like this:

Good god that is scary. Oh my god this is terrifying. (Press A to interact appears on the screen) Oh well it was good while it lasted.

• GamesInquirer says:

Would it be that different if it said press E instead?

• DapperDirewolf says:

I think he’s more concerned about being ripped out of his immersion by an invasive ‘PRESS THE BIG GREEN BUTTON TO DO SOMETHING’ tip on the screen. It is kind of dumb, it’s not like we need to be reminded to press a button to do things in this day and age, surely!

MajorManiac says:

Exactly that. Its the equivalent of a boom-mike slipping into shot during a movie.

• GamesInquirer says:

Well, it remains to be seen if it’s like that every time you can use something or the first time that it teaches you to. I mean, Half-Life had on screen messages in the intro parts iirc (I could be wrong, but plenty other games do that anyway). Still, it could also be necessary (nowadays where with the tech we have you can have areas full of stuff rather than only model the important bits) to be able to differentiate from objects that you can’t interact with rather than have you madly pressing E while running into objects to make sure you’re not missing anything. If they made an unrealistic glow to indicate them like the items you could pick up in early Resident Evil games (actually the later ones even have the beam of light on dropped items) it would hardly be any more realistic. But personally I don’t let such things bother me which is why I didn’t realize that’s what you meant. I don’t really get into games that much, I do get jumpy and what not just like when watching a movie but not to the degree that I feel like I’m in the game for such elements to break that illusion. Resident Evil 4 was great and immersing as any other to me, glows or not.

6. Moni says:

I think I see what you mean about ‘hokey’, it feels like one of those fairground haunted house thingies, which can be kind of fun sometimes.

Fun to note: It looks like it has a super-wide letterboxed picture, which Mikami is pretty fond of. He was doing 16:9 widescreen in Resident Evil 4 before widescreen TVs were common.

7. GamesInquirer says:

This could become pretty good with a bit more horror and a bit less action but I’m kind of weirdly impressed by how much it appears to resemble what modern Resident Evil has become considering the series creator whose child this game is hasn’t been involved with them since 4 and it’s a whole different studio and companies. If I didn’t know better I could easily assume this is Resident Evil 7 footage. The art style, characters, cut scene direction, voice overs, it’s all in exactly the same style. It’s kind of disappointing in a way, that his return to this sort of game doesn’t appear to come with any real innovations or risks which Capcom wouldn’t be willing to partake in and instead looks like it could just as easily have come from them, but I still have hope for the gameplay and maybe the story too (in the latter it shouldn’t be hard to surpass Resident Evil yet matrix agent zombies don’t inspire confidence).

• Synesthesia says:

sadly, i agree. Not what i expected. Seems he just copy pasted a bunch of other ideas from other games who did it better, even himself. The zombie torching from the mansion, so they wouldnt turn into the red fuckers, the kojima cabinet hiding, the amnesia running, the hordes from RE4… sigh.

Has anyone played revelations? Is it a good return to form?

• HybridHalo says:

In terms of general aesthetic – I definitely agree with you. Though to speak in it’s defense – There’s an “Outlast” type stealth element present involving hiding from creatures that you are incapable of facing, which isn’t a staple of any of the Resident Evil titles in my knowledge, and the presence of such a feature means that at least at points, the game leans more towards horror than action.

A definite Resident Evil 4 vibe to the later footage, though the design and animation of that thing at the end was excellent. I’d previously written The Evil Within off, though lately I am growing open to the idea that it might be a fun, survival horror experience with a few scares.

• GamesInquirer says:

Well, we don’t really know if it’s some prominent gameplay element or just a set piece like those previous RE games’ parts with relentless enemies you can’t normally kill and have to run from or Ada’s campaign in RE6 having stealth kills and what not (maybe not just Ada’s, I dunno, but it’s where I noticed as it clearly guides you to that play style the way it’s designed).

8. RobinOttens says:

As someone who regularly visits facilities for people with severe mental disabilities (as my dad works at one), I can confirm the paper shredders there do indeed look like that. The horrible bloody gore and corpses are accurate as well.

9. yuri999 says:

That janky gameplay would have been impressive…. in 2004. It’s like RE4 with better graphics and somewhat better movement. Also what is up with the terrible dialogue in the game? Omg Shinji Mikami STAHP writing the script and hire a competent writer to do the job.

Btw, the bespectacled guy is totally gonna be a “wesker”. Good guy turns bad by merging with a monster.

10. Jake says:

It looks OK – maybe I haven’t played enough games recently but I was impressed by the character animations.

I suppose it is pretty hokey, but there is room in the universe for hokey horror as well as more discerning stuff like A Machine for Pigs. This reminds me a bit of Dead Space, another hokey horror that was good fun.

11. Ergates_Antius says:

“all I could think about was who signed the invoices for the components in the room of blades? After all, this is supposed to be a working care facility for people with severe mental disabilities”

I often have similar thoughts whilst playing games. Who is designing these facilities? Have they never had any health and safey training? High gantries with no railings; rotating machinery with no guard; barrels of flammable liquid stored in corridors. It’s almost as if they *want* people to be killed in industrial accidents!

• mwoody says:

Now I want a game where you play a safety inspector in evil hideouts.

• gi_ty says:

Whoa whoa why aren’t there any material safety data sheets stored with the explosive barrels? You cant store them in this corridor! Wheres the emergency shutoff for the massive paper shredder? What kind of evil lair are you trying to run here?

12. BreadBitten says:

“But I appear to be in the minority in finding it all just a bit too ridiculous.”

Yes but the ridiculousness here actually grants some levity to the horror bits making it stand out more, not unlike the Evil Dead films.

13. Turkey says:

It looks too hokey to be taken seriously, but not hokey enough to be interesting.

14. Radiant says:

So the guy responsible for all the corpses and torture around your hanging body has his back to you now that you are free
    You have a knife and you walk away?!?!?!

• Radiant says:

WHY NOT KILL THE GUY??!
      Literally, why not have a stab at maybe possibly ensuring he does not chase you with a chainsaw?

• Nim says:

They are probably going for something like “He knew straight away that he was no match for that guy”

15. MadTinkerer says:

“I watched this video for the The Evil Within and all I could think about was who signed the invoices for the components in the room of blades? After all, this is supposed to be a working care facility for people with severe mental disabilities…”

The best horror stories / games / mods which use the cliche of being set in an insane asylum make sure the emphasize the idea that maybe the scary things are actually in your head. Or at least, it’s difficult to tell whether or not they are. So obviously the guy who signed the invoices for the blades in the Room of Blades was a Martian working for the Illuminati to make sure everyone’s food is properly diced so that no one accidentally chokes!

What i want to know is how the poor mentally disabled patient got that chainsaw. And how he feeds himself (no, not other inmates, that wouldn’t work for very long) and why an “abandoned” facility still has mental patients in it… Oh wait: you’re crazy. Of course! Now it all makes sense. Stupid Illuminati.

• Radiant says:

I want to see a flashback of two guys nonchalantly using that machine to mass cut meat for the kitchen.
      “I love this Jack Lalane slicer dicer”
      “Such a good time saving idea”

• Turkey says:

I’m guessing he’s been drugged by an evil doctor or something. They wouldn’t show a bloody operating room without there being an evil doctor in the game. Plus your dude is too cool and nonchalant to be insane.

• Radiant says:

Too cool to be insane?
        Oh I don’t know about that.
        *leans against wall, lights cigarette with right hand*
        *drops right hand on the floor and walks away whistling jazz*

16. Tazer says:

Is the protagonists name Guy Limpington?

17. Lev Astov says:

What, those were just the rotating knives. Every building has those, right?

18. Muzman says:

Needs more blood. Don’t want to be stingy with that stuff.

19. Kentauroi says:

It pretty much looks like a modern Resident Evil 4. I liked RE4 but it was never really a scary game, more of a teen slasher flick than anything else. Also it looks like the tank controls for combat are relatively unchanged, which is disappointing to say the least.

Doesn’t look bad, but doesn’t seem particularly interesting either. A shame since I’ve loved a lot of the games Shinji Mikami’s worked on.

20. The Random One says:

That intro reminded me of that website that pretended to sell supplies to evil overlords, which one day abruptly went offline, shortly after adding links to real US intelligence agencies to its website as part of the fiction.

thesundaybest says:

It’s hard to be scared of a guy who can’t kill you with a chainsaw when he’s standing right next to you.

LTK says:

Zombie heads that go KERSPLOTCH when you shoot them, mine traps that are about as destructive as a stiff breeze… these people have no idea how to make a horror game, do they?

23. le4slie says:

Them blood made me thirsty.

24. Chillz says:

I don’t know why but that syringe healing made me chuckle a lot. Also I am really, really curious to find out how he got his leg to work after it nearly got chopped off ^.^