Harleague Of Legends Quinn: Jinx Is Latest LoL Champion

By Nathan Grayson on September 28th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

She certainly has a nice shark gun, but it's still nothing compared to Armed and Dangerous' Land Shark Gun.

Now, the secret to that painfully convoluted subhead is to say “Harleague of Legends” as though it’s one word. Then Quinn. Get it? DO YOU? DO YOU, HUH? HUH? YOU WEASELY LITTLE- sorry. Got a little worked up. Must be leftover fury from the League of Legends pickup game I just played. Point is, LoL’s new champion Jinx is kind of like Harley Quinn from Batman. Similar voice and personality, a penchant for crime, and an unavoidable attraction to “loose-cannon” antics. She also has a rocket launcher that she’s quite find of, which adds a double-meaning to the whole loose-cannon thing. I have now explained two jokes in the same post. I should probably stop now. After all, it’s like they say: three strikes and you’re dead. I very much like my life, so scurry on to get some fresh, hot details below.

Riot outlined all of Jinx’s various ins and outs in a reveal post, but here are the basics:

“Jinx is a versatile marksman armed with an arsenal of eclectic weapons. Her assortment of arms wreaks a ton of havoc, enabling her to deal brutal bouts of damage at the expense of mobility. One of the most important facets to playing Jinx is harnessing the power of Switcheroo! to safely harass her enemies from a distance with her rocket launcher before unleashing a hail of minigun pain when the moment calls.”

So Q swaps out her default minigun for a mana-powered rocket launcher, W and E act as crowd control via a slowing electric blast and grenades with a brief rooting effect, respectively, and R launches a “Super Mega Death Rocket!” that has unlimited move space and picks up speed as it goes. Also, yes, all of her attack names end in exclamation points.

Jinx is quite vulnerable on her own, however, given that she’s entirely lacking in built-in escapes or any solid means of protection. Strong positioning and teamwork are crucial, as is juggling weapons based on range.

Still though, she sounds pretty fun. As of now, Riot hasn’t set a date for when she’ll go live, but she’s playable in LoL’s public beta environment. So go! Get out there and rock(et) and roll. See, because Jinx uses rockets and [immediately dies of unknown but greatly appreciated causes].

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. DiamondDog says:

“League is for babies!” “Riot are the enemy of humanity!” “F2P games killed my family!”

Might as well get into it.

RedViv says:

You forgot “A champion is not worthy RPS news so you must have been bribed with a million pound!”

€: Oh man I was too late. Should have refreshed the page.

• DiamondDog says:

I scrolled down.

• evengle015 says:

my neighbor’s sister-in-law makes $81/hour on the internet. She has been laid off for eight months but last month her pay was $21701 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read Full Article =-=-=-=- http://goo.gl/G40gh3

• MarieHarris says:

my classmate’s aunt makes $76 an hour on the laptop. She has been out of work for 5 months but last month her pay check was $17072 just working on the laptop for a few hours. my link…. http://www.works25.com

• julli1 says:

I quit working at shop rite and now I make $35h – $80h…how? I’m working online! My work didn’t exactly make me happy so I decided to take a chance on something new… after 4 years it was so hard to quit my day job but now I couldn’t be happier. Hear is what I do http://www.Max47.com

• julli1 says:

I basically make about $6,000k-$8,000k a month online. It’s enough to comfortably replace my old jobs income, especially considering I only work about 10k-13k hours a week from home. This is how to start•• MAX47.COM

2. particle says:

Ok…

3. pakoito says:

So Dota 2 The International world tournament with highest esports prizes ever is not covered because “nobody at the office cares” yet LoL releasing a new hero is newsworthy.

Okay.

• Vinraith says:

Indeed, I don’t know why we can’t all come together and agree, in peace, that they’re both equally worth ignoring.

• Synesthesia says:

I dont get the hate that mobas get in RPS, theyre actually quite hard, a lot of dexterity and thought has to go into every game. Is it because their communities tend to be a bit of a cesspit? I know dota’s been getting less poo-slinging since the mute explosion.

• malkav11 says:

For my part I’m really, really disinterested in competitive multiplayer games, especially ones like MOBAs that have toxic communities, a steep learning curve, and lengthy game sessions. I get the impression the same is true of a lot of RPS commenters, but I could be wrong.

(Why am I clicking on this article, then? No idea really.)

• Lemming says:

it’s probably because they are galavanting in esports territory, and many gamers (myself included), don’t really play games to be competitive against our fellow man. I say each to their own, but I’ll never play one. tried DOTA 2 for an hour and wasn’t for me.

It is a bit weird where you’ve got one side of the fence pushing for games to be a sport, and the other arguing games are art and some like myself (I assume I’m not alone!) in the middle who couldn’t give a fuck whether it’s either as long as I can sit quietly on my own and immerse myself in one without dealing with any kind of social commentary or competitive multiplayer.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

“and some like myself (I assume I’m not alone!) in the middle who couldn’t give a fuck whether it’s either as long as I can sit quietly on my own and immerse myself in one without dealing with any kind of social commentary or competitive multiplayer”

You most certainly are not alone, and I would like both to endorse your comment fulsomely and provide a link that puts the sentiment into lovely black and white pixels http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7030/6668541419_10fb696042_z.jpg

• field_studies says:

I had no interest in MOBAs either, but the International 3 coincided with a weekend of packing boxes to move house, so I decided to watch a little (as an anthropologist, you understand). Found it more intriguing that I’d expected. And equal parts baffling.

But after dipping one toe and then eventually at least a whole leg in, I’ve now put in 40 hours, found it to be a lot of fun, played mostly with one good friend AND (here’s the shocker; I’m probably just lucky) found the community to so far be perfectly reasonable.

I think by now we can understand games as being many things. I love games-as-art, games that are barely games, but DOTA fills a different role; I guess I like competition too sometimes.

• Kaiji says:

An hour is not long enough to decide DotA2 “isn’t for you”.

It’s like saying “I tried playing the saxophone for an hour and it just wasn’t for me”. It’s not possible to gain enough of an understanding or skill level to make that kind of decision in an hour.

I say this from experience. I trashed DotA2 when I got in the beta several months ago after playing four games and doing horribly. After it came out of beta I started reading guides and practicing vs bots. I was amazed by how little I originally knew about how to play the game even semi-effectively.

I have a much better understanding of the game now and while I don’t consider myself to be particularly good at it yet, I’m absolutely fascinated by it. It’s easily the most immersive, hilarious and rewarding game I’ve played since 1980.

• Lemming says:

@Kaiji “An hour is not long enough to decide DotA2 “isn’t for you”.”

With respect, that’s bullshit.

I didn’t do horribly I just didn’t like it. The fact you’d equate it with learning a musical instrument says much about the vast gulf between our values.

• Kaiji says:

Actually it says a lot about how little you know about DotA.

I play several musical instruments, and I play DotA. The comparison is not perfect, but it’s not as far off as you’ve mistakenly concluded it is.

You start out horrendously bad, and the amount of time and effort you dedicate to studying and practicing dictates how fast you improve, understand and appreciate it.

I enjoy musical styles I never would have liked if it wasn’t for getting good at a certain instrument and discovering what makes it appealing, and the same applies to DotA.

I wanted to know what made so many people rave about the game, and now I know, and I agree with them.

If you’re telling me you were able to learn and retain knowledge of around a hundred hero’s abilities, strengths and weaknesses (to mention just one of DotA’s many areas of advantageous knowledge) within an hour, I’m highly impressed.

You could be right though… DotA may not be for you. You could also be wrong, but you’ll never find out because you decided to give up with far too little experience to make a reasonable decision.

• malkav11 says:

An hour is more than long enough to decide whether or not you’re interested in putting in the time and effort to develop that understanding or skill, though. I’m well aware there are whole dimensions of skill and nuance to many of the top competitive games that I’m not even equipped to see, much less appreciate. But you know what? I don’t care. It’s not something that I have any desire to delve into to that degree. I’m looking for something entirely different from videogames than what’s on offer here.

• derbefrier says:

Lol you guys are ridiculous you don’t have to spend hundreds of hours on a game to figure out if you like it. I don’t have to spend a month on a piano to figure out I would rather play guitar.

• Kaiji says:

I guess I just don’t see the logic in playing a competitive game that requires dozens of hours to achieve a reasonable level of knowledge for one hour when you don’t like competitive games, and then concluding that it isn’t “for you” when you already knew it wasn’t “for you”.

What other things that require several hours of practice do you do for an hour that you already know you won’t like?

• Vinraith says:

One of the amusing things about MOBA threads is how the ardent defenders of these games almost always immediately demonstrate why they have such a reputation for cultivating unpleasant communities.

• Kaiji says:

@Vinraith

Everything I’ve said has been civil and on topic.

If you want to derail the discussion because you disagree with me, that’s kind of weak and lame, but you’re absolutely free to do so.

I think there’s a lot of snobbery toward these games from people who don’t really understand them and who are bad at them. That’s my sole point.

Also, I can’t speak for League of Legends because I quit a long time ago, but the DotA 2 community is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. I think most people who complain about it’s “toxic community” are talking about the original DotA before Valve implemented reporting and commendation tools to allow the community to police itself.

• DiamondDog says:

Even more amusing? These threads are always full of people making comments about communities they don’t actually participate in.

• Universal Quitter says:

It’s your OPINION that DOTA2 is the best game ever. Just because you were wishy-washy about it, at first, that doesn’t mean everyone else on the fucking planet has to devote the same amount of time as you to enjoy the goddamn game. Not everyone WANTS to suffer from Stockholm syndrome.

Quit calling people lame, quit being condescending about “time investments” and dedication, and stop projecting your experiences and biases onto everyone else.

I’ve read RPS for awhile, and from what I remember, you’re not really a troll or an asshole in the comments, so I don’t know what crawled up your ass today, but I hope you’ve manged to get over it.

• Kaiji says:

@Universal Quitter

Your comment is the most confrontational and offensive in this thread so far.

I hope the irony in telling me to “quit being condescending” while taking the lofty and abrasive tone you’ve chosen isn’t lost on you.

• dE says:

Thanks, I laughed. Although it most assuredly wasn’t your intention. That one sentence though, it had all the hallmarks of isn’t it ironic?

Complaining about snobbery and then acting like a total snob in the same sentence, that’s quite the achievement. Is that something you learn in ELO Hell?
            /edit: Made even better by a follow up post hoping that someone, complaining about something then doing it themselves, wouldn’t miss the irony. Oh the irony.

• Kaiji says:

I’m glad you got a nice smug feeling from your misunderstanding, though. Hope it felt good!

“Made even better by a follow up post hoping that someone, complaining about something then doing it themselves, wouldn’t miss the irony”

Except I didn’t tell him to stop being condescending. I simply observed that he was being condescending. Keep confusing yourself though… You seem to glean a tremendous amount of enjoyment from it.

• dE says:

Alright, admit it, you’re doing it for the laughs, no?

In combination with

from people who don’t really understand them and who are bad at them.

Is another piece of art. Not like you have any idea whether they’re good at the game or not. But lo and behold, you sure know how they formulated their opinion and why they didn’t like the game, based on a lack of knowledge. Sounds like your very own medicine to me.

You seem to glean a tremendous amount of enjoyment from it.

And talk about condescending. Do you suffer from a form of literary-schizophrenia? Because what you seem to want to type and how you want to come across and what you actually type appear to be entirely different things if not polar opposites.

• Kaiji says:

“Not like you have any idea whether they’re good at the game or not”

The guy openly admitted that he’d only played DotA 2 for an hour. No-one is good at DotA 2 after an hour. If you want to debate this, please go ahead, but you’ve already lost.

You’re operating under the delusion that my pointing out condescension in others dictates that I disapprove of condescension itself. You’re essentially making mistake after mistake while gloating at how clever you are, when you actually are not at all.

If you want to talk about MOBA games, (remember? The actual topic?) great. If you want to continue masturbating, I’ll leave you to finish yourself off.

All the best!

• razaron says:

without dealing with any kind of social commentary or competitive multiplayer.

This. Very much this.
            I don’t care how much derper a game is than whatever game is popular to rag on at the time, all I care about is good, well fleshed out game mechanics with shinies being a bonus. Nor do I care much for competitive MP, but that’s more of a personal preference than a pet peeve (unlike the former).

• Synesthesia says:

“I’m not complaining about snobbery itself. I’m complaining about snobbery toward something people openly admit they have very limited knowledge of.”

This. I like this guy. The aggression towards you is kinda depressing though. Is everything a shouting match in the internet?

• zin33 says:

Kaiji ive heard that argument before but if i dont care for a game after playing an hour, i wont care for it at all. i dont get why i have to be a “master” of the game in order to be able to say if i like it or not. especially when said game is 100% about its gameplay
            also i hate how the game calls itself “competitive” and yet all the rating systems / leagues or whatever are completely invisible. even if you make yourself a 5 man team theres just hardly any way to tell how close to the top you are
            also i dont get the point of playing with random people against random people. but i guess thats just me

• dE says:

Thank you Kaiji, for the Q.E.D. of Vinraiths comment.

You:

If you want to continue masturbating, I’ll leave you to finish yourself off.

And with that, keep on missing the point. Since I doubt you’ll ever actually get what people are trying to tell you, I’ll wish you happy fighting with those windmills, Don Quixote.

• Lemming says:

@Synesthesia

While I agree the thread got a little over-aggressive, I also think that it was inevitable given that Kaiji seems unable to make a reply (in this thread) without being passive aggressive. Saying “I think you’re missing out, I like it, and I disagree” is worlds away from implying a lack of intelligence, staying power or skill, which is what Kaiji was doing in every post, worded slightly differently each time. The aggression he was receiving was likely due to the fact he was repeating that offence, rather than just being a decent human being about it.

For the record, an hour is plenty of time to make a judgement whether to like or dislike any game, and it was, frankly, 45 minutes longer than I wanted to give it. Figuring out the depth of play or persevering with the community isn’t going to change the fundamental way the game is played. It’s still going to be a competitive multiplayer game with a class-like system on a three-lane map an hour, four hours, or three weeks from now.

• Phasma Felis says:

“An hour is not long enough to decide DotA2 “isn’t for you”.”

The fuck it’s not. I do not have 40 hours a week of gaming time. I play games to be entertained now, not after I’ve earned it with some untold time investment. If a game can’t manage to start being entertaining after 15 minutes, it is most definitely “not for me” and I am never opening it again.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

This. And the New Earth stuff to, and that Dead Island one. And all the other ones I’m ignoring.

Malibu Stacey says:

Yeah they should only cover online games you actually play Vinraith…

• Snargelfargen says:

I am inexplicably compelled to make grandiose statements about how nuanced and amazing MOBA games are instead of just saying that I like them and enjoy coverage of the genre on RPS.

• DrGonzo says:

Most popular pc game on the planet getting an update seems worth reporting.

• Moraven says:

Teamliquid does not cover LoL, which is the bigger game.

Because the main staff does not care as much for LoL. And the team invested into a Dota team.

• honuk says:

TL actually does cover LoL pretty extensively, they just have it all buried in their LoL forums for whatever reason.

• Moraven says:

That is fans and people who have commited to the TL community… which is the only reason why it has grown.

Just checked, looks like people bored due to no Dota 2 that they are writing for the leadup to the LoL finals… but none of the articles get front page linked.

• honuk says:

Fionn is full time LoL, and he’s one of the most prominent TL staffers (and their best writer as far as I’m concerned).

• Shepardus says:

They covered the First Blood patch not too long ago. Also note that they haven’t been covering League’s World Championships which have been going on for the past week – RPS doesn’t cover esports much in general, it doesn’t have some sort of bias against Dota. In fact I feel like they’ve covered Dota more than League, though I haven’t actually counted for myself.

• dmoe says:

Maybe if Dota 2 had rape and female inequality in it it might get covered here. Gabe needs to move his ass.

4. malkav11 says:

She’s based on Tank Girl, from what I understand, not Harley Quinn.

• Turkey says:

Yup. It’s Tank Girl with braids.

RedViv says:

Understandable mistake though, seeing how NuHarley is really more like Evul Tank Girl rather than anything remotely close to her pre-Eff-U-52 self.

• yuri999 says:

Nathan is a filthy casual, that’s why! Referencing a comic book character but then posting the wrong image. Bah.

5. Shadowcat says:

Aye; all hail the land shark gun!

RedViv says:

Aye. Even painting something to resemble it is worthy worship.
      And why run around with only one or two weapons when you can have FIVE of them?

• LessThanBill says:

Shagga is of the opinion that six rocket launchers are even better than five

• The Random One says:

That is why I painted a shark to look like a gun. Also like land.

I call it The Physical Impossibility of Land Sharks in the Mind of Someone Playing Call of Duty.

6. dE says:

So that’s what they meant with “we’re gonna downsize champion releases”. Can’t no longer hide an entire army of minions inbetween. I’m sorry, just mocking League of Legends Female Champion Design, move along.

7. ChocolateWaffle says:

Kinda sad to see this site drop to PCG standards of “let’s ignore some good big news and showcase the most mundane LoL things we can”. A new champion isn’t deserving of a whole news post, especially if you haven’t done so before, and it’s not like it’s worth it to start with a champion that’s barely innovative in design or isn’t a big change to the game. This is on the level of making a news post every time TF2 adds a hat, it’s just noisy clutter on an otherwise great news site.

Not ranting on LoL news coverage, but atleast cover good stuff, like the World Championship, or Season 4 when it starts not… this. Hell, you didn’t even give a rat’s ass when The International happened, as some have mentioned here.

8. Eddiestrike says:

I’m pretty sure RPS have been paid money to cover this crap, you guys can all relax. I’m sure Riot have offered good cash, right Nathan?

• NR says:

Are you being serious or have I been wooshed? I really can’t tell here…

9. Dingler says:

This is newsworthy? How the mighty have fallen.

10. ClintMartez says:

Why is this thing news?

Also, biased much? So suddenly Dota 2 is being ignored while trival stuff like this gets reported as news?

• starmatt says:

I don’t think we can say that Dota 2 is totally ignored, last week’s update First Blood was covered on RPS for instance. I would have loved it if they covered TI as a Dota 2 fan, but still I see enough Dota news on RPS.

This news, however, I don’t understand why it was covered :p

• Moraven says:

I think the writer has been playing some LoL and the new champion caught his interest.

And the last time we got in the discussion if RPS should cover eSports. They had reprinted ESL articles but I believe the RPS just did not have any interest and there are already sites that do the coverage well.

• Moraven says:

They posted on the latest Dota 2 patch and they have no interest in eSports coverage…

• Ringwraith says:

Seeing as there was a post on the recent significant Dota 2 update, I’m not sure why it’s considered unusual.
        Seeing as champion releases for LoL are now months apart rather than a couple of weeks, they are a lot more note-worthy in of themselves. So the amount of content to cover with a news piece is comparable.

11. Belmakor says:

Ever since RPS took on paid advertisement it has been a shell of its former self.

• tormos says:

You’re right, how dare they earn money to eat? Bastards. They’re denying you your God Given Right to free games journalism

• tormos says:

Except not really because it’s still free for you :)

Cinek says:

It’s not. You watch adverts all over the place. That’s also a form of payment.

12. SpiritBoy says:

ITT : Butthurt dota2.

• Rollin says:

They’re just angry because LoL is better.

• Cioomperkoi says:

I honestly think that both games are just as good, the mechanics and pacing are just different enough enough to make them uncomparable to each other.

• Rollin says:

Yeah I’ve not actually played Dota2, I was just baiting out fanboys like the guy below.

Denying is a pretty nonsensical mechanic though.

• Magnusm1 says:

Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad mechanic though. Rocket-jumping isn’t exactly a viable choice in warfare either.

Sadly.

• Botoks says:

It always baffles me when people say it. In which departament LoL is better than DOTA 2? Because it sure isn’t: gamplay design choices, sound and music, characters, client, features, f2p model, graphics, aesthetics…

• Asurmen says:

You mean a whole bunch of subjective things?

• Lyndon says:

I think both games are brilliant, but there’s stuff I like more about LoL than Dota.

I like the way carries don’t scale insanely stupid hard, so that late game everyone still feels important in team fights. i.e fed carries can’t just walk in 1v3 and walk out.

Related to that, I like that you have to pick between doing damage and survivability, whereas in Dota a lot of big ticket damage items gives you a lot of defence.

Turn rates, attack animations and related mechanical issues feel crisper. Skill shots and crazy mobility make LoL more about twitch reflexes.

I think a lot of the characters kits are better designed, and fun. Abilities have multiple uses, and cool little tricks which mean you can get more out of them. Compare say Sniper to Caitlyn, and Caitlyn’s kit is much more interesting to play with. Sniper you just right click and don’t fuck up positioning. Cailtyn has to do that too, but you also get your net, and traps to play with both of which can be used offensively and defensively. I’ve played 100s of Caitlyn games, and I still have fun trying to get the most out of my traps in a team fight. Even if you just look at their ult despite being practically the same ability, Caitlyn’s is more interesting because enemies can block it.

I don’t like that Dota 2 is generally balanced around giving someone a ridiculously good ability that’s borderline OP but balancing it by giving them an equally ridiculous Achilles heal. e.g Drow’s insane agi steroid but it goes away if there’s a nearby hero. Or Space Cow’s charge, and wombo combo which if it hits can chain stun and kill an enemy before they can do anything, but is completely useless if they can disable you before you land the charge.

I like that LoL has way less RNG in it.

Basically, Dota is the more strategic, more intellectual game, and LoL is the more twitch reflex game. Both are great and worth playing. Also I like LoL’s aesthetic more, cause it’s silly and fun, and not po faced and serious.

Cinek says:

Good joke Rollin – thanks for the laugh.

Don Reba says:

Oh, no, that armour — it’s totally impractical.

14. Xocrates says:

I, like many here, do not get this newspost.

Nevermind whether LoL announcing a new champion is newsworthy, nevermind that RPS rarely cover champion releases, but why this one?

If you had done this for Lucian, sure, since he was the first unquestionably black champion in LoL. But the champ that sort of looks like Harley Quinn except it somehow looks stupider? Why?

Keymonk says:

I think the idea is that the author of this newspost is either interested in the game, or just found the new character concept (or the character she’s inspired by) amusing or awesome – keep in mind RPS writes what they are interested in and want to write. So.

16. Koozer says:

I am disappointed in RPS for posting a thing about a thing I don’t like.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I say, the world is full of Negative Nellies today. Everybody who thought “grrr” should go and think about what they’ve done. If you need help becoming more positive, I suggest you look at this picture of Earl Grey playing Cards Against Humanity to regain your positivity. Cat pictures help, don’t they? Even terrifying ones.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Heh. A “LoL”Cat.

• Horg says:

Cat pictures are visual dopamine, proof that our feline friends have some mystical power to calm the mind. With the right picture, even the most cynical badass is reduced to making ”dawwwww….” noises while their eyes mist over. It’s quite emasculating.

• LionsPhil says:

I must congratulate you on a highly appropriately-named cat, sir.

18. Funso Banjo says:

So LOL getting a new hero is news now? Was it new the other 50 times it happened?

Cinek says:

YEA! Let’s start a new series:
      PREVIOUSLY released LOL heroes.

Brilliant. And equally important to this news.

19. Amun says:

So when Kojima does it, it’s sexist, but when riot does it, it’s all fun and games? Where’s the tidal wave of complaints about where her clothes are?

• Notebooked says:

I’m sure they’re somewhere, but their absence may be because League of Legends is regarded as a kind of lost cause by now, most other female champions being similarly clothes-deprived. …The braids are a new level of ridiculous, though. They may delve deeper through sleaze.

• Ringwraith says:

She’s also meant to be completely insane.
      This eases it off a bit.

Besides, they do have a spectrum of female designs, just look at Leona or for an actual semi-recent one, Quinn.

• bit_crusherrr says:

So does metal gear… Meryl, The Boss, Liquid Ocelots elite female soldiers…

• Ringwraith says:

Though insane in the “tears up the town because it’s fun” kind of insane.
          Her lines clearly show she is not right in the head. One of them even mocks her own unnecessary belts.
          Besides, I said it eases it a bit, doesn’t mean it’s wholly justifiable.

I can’t speak for Metal Gear, as I have no experience of the series.

• Sheng-ji says:

I suspect this will have something to do with it:

“Speaking on Twitter, Kojima wrote that he’s been “ordering” art director Yoji Shinkawa “to make the character more erotic, and he did it well”

And (basing my knowledge of LOL character design on the one picture above) she’s hardly objectified is she? Yes she is attractive, yes she is showing skin but her breasts look normal rather than pumped up for a girl of her age and she is clearly presented as a character who people would want to play as rather than eye candy to boost sales.

Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I get the impression that this time it’s a more stylised thing rather than a pure sex fantasy approach. Of course, if every damn female character looks like this then obviously someone at LOL has problems, but in an isolated instance it looks fine.

• Amun says:

I don’t have a horse in this race, but I just thought it was odd that the two character designs (this one from Riot and the one that was splashed all over the news sites from MGS5) are virtually identical, but no one seems to care about one of them.

If it’s really so outrageous, shouldn’t we be outraged every time? What is it about “it’s a fantasy setting” or “Riot does this all the time” that changes things?

• Ringwraith says:

There’s also intent, seeing as Kojima mentioned he was going for “sexy” with the design, it immediately strikes a chord. As well as the fact the outfit in question is very inconsistent in design, it’s combat gear which barely exists…?
          Jinx here just looks like she’s cobbled together random stuff and called it an ‘outfit’, which better fits her position as a scatter-brained, mayhem-causing criminal.

• Asurmen says:

It also helps that her figure isn’t a gross misrepresentation of reality.

20. buzzmong says:

For a second or two after reading the headline and skimming the article brief, mostly because I’m very tired and didn’t read it properly, I thought it was going to be about Quinns returning to the Hivemind.

Which it isn’t :(

21. JimmyG says:

I can’t help but think half of the hate in these comments is coming from the fact that this was the top post for most of a Saturday. Bored people might keep coming back to the site and getting angry that there’s nothing else to read about. Just bad timing.

• Graerth says:

Funnily enough, that’s propably one of reasons this even was posted.

“Nothing happening, anyone have anything happening in something they’ve played?”

Nothing to post=>Post something of low news value=>Get raged at posting stuff with low value.

DrScuttles says:

It’s a piss-sodden trail of disappointment for them. I’d suggest simply watching Richard Kelly’s films, starting with Donnie Darko, if people want to experience those same sinking emotions without being forced to read a news post for a game they’re not interested in.

• The Random One says:

I JUST WANT MY BARGAIN BUCKET. WHY MUST I SUFFER SO MUCH :-(

Gap Gen says:

Nah, for a post featuring women, so far it’s been pretty reserved. The last comment war (to use a polite term) ran over 1000 posts, I think.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Ah, the great comment Pooh-pooh war of 2013. I remember it well. There was one prolific commenter got pooh-poohed, made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! ‘Cos it turned out all along that the commenter who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other commenters who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to moderate the comments section and write an article about being polite on the internet. Morale totally destroyed… by pooh-pooh!

22. honuk says:

I’m so angry you posted an innocuous thing about a thing that I don’t like as much as I like other innocuous things. My sense of identity has been wounded and I will project this hurt onto RPS by venting my anger and calling into question their sensibilities while pining for a mythical golden age that is always already just in the past. the problem is definitely not me.

23. 2helix4u says:

When I heard the new champion was female I was wondering if they were going to keep up their good female armour designs that they have been pushing lately, for instance they revamped Sejuani and some other characters to show less skin and have more practical armour which I liked since it showed they were trying to tackle some of their silly lady design issues. I also like that they allowed you to still play with the skimpy ones but the practical ones were default, that seemed like a pretty elegant solution.

Then the first thing I think when I see her is *sigh*.

Then I think a little bit more on this and I wonder whether wanting practical armoured warfems precludes you from enjoying characters that for whatever reason show some skin. People should be allowed the creative freedom to make whoever the hell they want and characters who dress skimpy because of character reasons should be fine. This isn’t quite so black and white a thought though because its definitely relevant that -most- female characters are portrayed skimpily as default.

So because I am a massive nerd who cares about THINGS I’m doing a little investigating of LoL character’s official art. The early female champions are almost all in bikinis and all have huge cleaving tits (apart from Annie, thankfully). However of the last 10 released battlewomen not including Jinx, 6 are fully armoured while Elise, Syndra, Zyra, Nami are boobalicious sexqueens, in the case of Nami, somehow managing to have cleavage despite being an already naked fishperson. Wait am I LoL slut shaming what am i doing with my life

6/10 being actual heroic looking actionladies is not bad >>>for a videogame<<<. It is however still a little bit embarassing. Especially when you consider that out of the 10 recent male fightingblokes only Draven is skimpily armoured, and none of them are portrayed as sexual attractiveness being one of their main features. Theres no smouldering man-hunk for my girlfriend to enjoy, while half the characters I play are mageinas with heaving breasts that make me embarassed by proxy to be playing.
    Of course now with Jinx its half and half on the most recent ladies.

I actually set out with this post to cheer on Riot and now I'm iffier on it. They're definitely making strides it would just be nice to see a clear definitive direction on gender presentation rather than making moves in the right direction then bringing out a naked spiderlady, naked fishlady and naked plant lady in sequence.
    Its a problem with using common archetypes to make definitive champion designs, is the archetypes for women in general media are pretty shit. Then there's the fetish skins like nurses and french maids, old though most of them are and it all makes me a little sad.

C'mon Riot, my Elise is a monster who destroys squishies and tanks alike. Why is she wearing high heels and showing off her big old boobies. Where is my stripper Vladimir skin? One or the other please.

• Ringwraith says:

There’s definite artist bias creeping in a lot of cases. As Syndra/Zyra/Elise were all done by the same one.
      Having them released so close together did not help disguise this.

Though in defence of Akali’s nurse skin, it was a charity one, and allows there to be a theme of medical skins among the ninja trio.
      Also, I’m pretty sure Elise doesn’t have feet for high heels, she’s got spider legs. (Also her Death Blossom skin is far better, and in fact, a lot of these with impractical designs have better alternate skins, like Justicar Syndra).

• honuk says:

this one is actually just fine. the fairly little clothing fits the devil-may-care attitude of the archetype they are going for here, and all of the focus is on her hair and bright colors, not any level of generic sexiness. this is more riot grrl than anything. skin does not immediately equal marginalization and sexuality, as much as over-eager me-too flavor of the month pseudo feminist critics might think otherwise. I get that context counts, and LoL’s context is decidedly problematic, but there’s more to criticism than scrutinizing publicity art for measurements.

it helps that jinx is related to Vi in both lore and design, given that Vi is probably Riot’s best and most interesting female design

• Ringwraith says:

Damn, I always forget about Vi, probably because I don’t see her that much but I remember Quinn because she’s never played.

• Xocrates says:

I honestly do not know what to think about Jinx’s design, other than not liking it.

I do not think she’s being sexualized, at least not overtly so, but at the same time for a game that has LoL’s history of stylistic exaggeration (for good and ill), having a “realistically” shaped character being one of the most ridiculous ones feels off, and the skimpy (and quite frankly, bizarre) outfit drawing attention to the body exacerbates this.

I really like the concept of the character, but it really feels like Riot managed to both go too far in the ridiculousness and not far enough, leaving the character in this really weird limbo where’s she’s clearly ridiculous but feels like she shouldn’t be.

Keymonk says:

I’d buy a stripper Vladimir skin.

• 2helix4u says:

Right? I imagine him in just little sparkly red pants, it would suit him so much.

24. Tei says:

- – – – x8 – – – – – – – – x8 – – – – – – – – x8 – – – –

I like this.
    LoL make me laught. I have a Teemo with bunny skin, because :D

This looks like one of these “Easy” characters that even noobs like me enjoy, but that may also have some hidden deeps that more hardcore games would enjoy.

Now I want to see a video of the character in action.

This is something I don’t like about LoL character presentations, they don’t normally accompany it with enough video data :D

Keymonk says:

Surrender@20 does, however. Go check her out there, they covered her PBE appearance.

• Tei says:

This character has a interesting TankGirl attiude that can get really obnosiux,… or so is the point of the character :DDD — Punk no dead. Also… wow… this character seems to have more work that in whole other games. I think the laugh animation must be captioned from a actor.

25. Apocalypse says:

Not interested in any champion that does not deal tons of damage. Brutal bouts of damage simply does not cut it, when you need tons of damage.

26. Eschatos says:

A female champion with breasts smaller than her head? What a milestone for LoL history!

• 00000 says:

Next up, a male champion with a codpiece larger then one of his limbs.

27. ravencheek says:

The dota2 international which was the single largest prize pool for any e-sport event EVER, gets no coverage. But league of legends releases their monthly hero who ‘looks’ and sounds like a comic book character is news worthy journalism?

It not like every news publication on the planets had an article about the dota2 international (http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23664107). Even my local paper featured it in as a side column. So obviously a website dedicated to games wouldn’t need to cover it, no not at all.

• mickygor says:

If you’ve read about it everywhere else, why do you need to read about it here?

• tormos says:

so at this point i’ve descended to shouting PUUUUUNS at people complaining about this article. to wit: PUUUUUUUNS

• honuk says:

you realize they also haven’t posted at all about the LoL world finals, which have been going on since the middle of september, feature an overall higher prize pool than TI3, and will have been watched by many, many more people, right?

they clearly don’t care about esports. and so they don’t post about esports. luckily, I go to esports websites for my esports coverage. a novel concept.

28. obd2 says:

It seem that like the LOL………………………..

29. Yosharian says:

I can’t help but barf a little in the corner of my mouth when I consider that Dota 2 got no coverage whatsoever over the past few months (HINT: INTERNATIONAL), and yet LOL, a game that makes money out of people buying heroes and deliberately locks them to newbies in order to make money, gets a fucking full article for a new hero.

Also I think its quite ironic that you guys put yourselves out there as wannabe feminists yet you celebrate a game like LOL which features many scantily clad female characters, this one being no exception although at least she doesn’t have double D tits like the rest of them.

• DiamondDog says:

It’s quite clear that they only cover content changes in LoL and Dota2. If you’d swallow that bile for a second you’d realise they haven’t mentioned a peep about the League of Legends World Championship either, which is going on at the moment. I do think it is a bit weird that their LoL and Dota2 posts are so sporadic and random, though.

And I can’t see where they are “celebrating” LoL? I think Nathan just saw the character, liked it, and rather innocently wanted to highlight it.

• Yosharian says:

I don’t disagree with what you say, but nevertheless, like I said, I can’t help but be annoyed. When Abaddon was released for Dota 2, was there an article on RPS? Only interested in female heroes? Ok, why no article when Medusa was released? A very interesting hero, especially from a feminist perspective: utterly ugly, the opposite of sexually-charged, titilating fare that RPS claims to be against. Templar Assassin? Phantom Assassin? I don’t remember these heroes getting an article. Hell, what about an article comparing the female characters of Dota with those of LoL, from a feminist perspective? That would be interesting.

Legion Commander, a hero that was male in Dota 1, is being released soon in Dota 2 as a female character. I wonder if there will be an article on that. Hmmm.

I understand completely that on some level RPS will only be interested in writing articles which they themselves have interest in, and I’ve got no problem with that. I guess none of them play Dota, that’s fine. It still irks me to see this article, and I’m expressing that, with some admission that it’s not really a necessary reaction.

• lightstriker says:

I suspect it might have something to do with Dota 2 not so much “releasing” heroes as they are “republishing”. There’s not really much cause to go “Hey dudes, here’s new artwork of a champion that already existed”.

>I guess none of them play Dota, that’s fin

…are we reading the same blog?

There’s not really much of a massive disparity here, VERY much not a disparity in the direction you’re arguing, and pretending there is is kinda nonsense :/

• Yosharian says:

But that’s wrong because many heroes that have been released in Dota 2 have undergone complete redesigns or substantial changes.

Regardless, I’m not really arguing for more Dota 2 coverage, I’m saying that this particular news isn’t worth coverage.

• Moraven says:

They already had an article mocking LoL female character design.

Really what you wrote is Dota vs LoL fans and one being butt hurt when their game is not covered.

• Yosharian says:

Oh, I missed that one.

And no, the argument isn’t ‘Dota 2 vs LoL’, you’re oversimplifying.

• DiamondDog says:

Fair enough!

I think they realise that these things take a big, and crucially ongoing, commitment before you can talk meaningfully about them, and they can’t provide much that dedicated sites don’t already cover. The same way they don’t generally cover MMOs past launch.

It just leaves these random posts looking a bit lost.

• Kaira- says:

But… there was an article about the First Blood-patch?

• Yosharian says:

Yeah, ironic really, that patch was the one of the most boring patches released so far. I guess the LAN option was relevant to RPS’s interests.

30. nepenthes says:

Jesus, why am I not surprised to see so many Dota 2 fans complaining in a League of Legends ‘article’.

Cinek says:

It’s not about the article. It’s about complete unimportance of the topic.
      Equally well they could release patch notes to every tiny patch that gets released every week in DOTA. Same shit.

I’d much rather see some post about LoL Tournament than crap like that.
      Somehow last DOTA 2 hero wasn’t posted on RPS – yet DOTA 2 heroes are released with 1/5th of LoL heroes frequency.

That’s completely irrelevant unimportant news that happens every few weeks. That’s why people are angry. Not because it’s a post about LoL.
      Stop looking on stuff through your ridiculous pro-LoL bias.

31. airmikee99 says:

This comment thread has either been full of A:) the greatest, wittiest, most sarcastic people ever.. or B:) the largest collection of dimwits that do not know how to use tags or a search engine.

RPS has covered LoL and DOTA 2 equally, averaging one article a month for the last couple years for each game.

“RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE I’m gonna complain without having all the facts. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE I’m gonna spew my opinion onto the internet without ever bothering to check if my opinion is in any way accurate. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE”

Only the internet could produce so much comedy from a LoL champion announcement.

• Moraven says:

Fear the Dota vs LoL fans. Fear them

• lightstriker says:

I dunno, it comes across as fairly unidirectional, at least here.

…and in most dota 2 threads. lol.

• ividyon says:

You know what’s the worst part of the RPS comment section? People who go out of their way to display themselves as supercool level-headed reasonable lads by talking about how everyone around them is a bunch of raving lunatics.

People see legitimate issues with this article. The purpose of the article was questioned with reasonable arguments as to why it shouldn’t exist. Most, if not everyone, have been discussing the problem in a civil manner and making use of their right to voice opinions on the article in the comment section by /commenting on it/. Now, who in the living hell are YOU to place yourself above those who care about the subject, care about their perceived quality of the site, the game/game genre that is being discussed and hence decide to post about it? Who the hell are you to downplay the importance of their opinions by implying all they say is RABBLERABBLERABBLE?

Believe it or not, people like you are what’s wrong with the comments. People who have never seen what a /really/ shitty comment section looks like and choose to bash on perfectly level-headed discussions if they assume even a resemblance of controversy. The amount of such pretentious nose-held-high hobby e-policemen on RPS is absolutely staggering.

• Sheng-ji says:

I am 100% certain you have said that you were leaving RPS and never coming back. I’m not going to bother looking for it but I would bet money on that.

• ividyon says:

In that case, please contact me for my PayPal details, because the only thing even remotely close to that I remember doing is filtering certain writers’ articles out of my sight, which returns a huge amount of credibility and focus on actual video games to the site. Go figure.

Don Reba says:

Airmikee99 is just a troll, don’t worry about it. From this to “what a waste of skin” is pretty much her whole range. There are not many like that around.

• Yosharian says:

Best response EVER

32. kimoberoi says:

Im waiting to play this char

33. defuze says: