A Cute Puzzle Game: Tri Trailer

By Craig Pearson on September 30th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

I do love a strangely shaped world
Portal 2 wasn’t nearly as messed-up as it could have been. I loved it, and still pop in now and again to enjoy the physics and writing, but I always wish they’d went further and curly-wurlied the gravity and surroundings. Every time a room was fixed in front of me, I wished the same tech was used to just turn everything upside down, inside out, or that it would twist the testing chambers into odd, broken configurations. I am a very needy person. With that in mind, I’m interested in this Greenlight begging puzzle game, Tri. A FPS puzzle game where you drag out triangular walkways to cross the world.

As far as I can tell from the trailers, those walkways will be able to take you from the ground to the ceiling, so you could end up upside-down attempting to solve the puzzle. You can’t just make the triangles in thin air though, but instead you need to be able to connect three things (floors, walls, ceilings or other triangles). You also can’t intersect other objects with your platform. Those are the rules that govern the journey through towers, dungeons and “vertiginous abysses”.

It’s already out, and costs eight bucks/ten eurobucks. It’s made me want to hunt through Portal 2′s Steam Workshop to see if anyone has turned out a really freaky. I don’t even need puzzles, just interesting, messy spaces messy spaces.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

Top comments

1. Rincewind says:

If you can’t describe the geometry using squamous, non-euclidean, mephitic, or gibbous, it’s not Cthulhu enough.

1. Rincewind says:

I love messy spaces in games; interiors that require you to really wrap your mind around them, that challenge the accepted game reality. The sense of accomplishment when you finally realize what you’re doing is enormous. That’s one of the reasons I loved Antichamber, because of the brilliant way it screwed with your perceptions. Perspective was another great game along those lines, because it forced you to combine 2D thinking with 3D movement, which was totally unique.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

MC Escher in the house yooooooooo!

Put your hands in the air, wave them around like you’ve seen an impossible square!

*cough*

3. SillyWizard says:

Have you checked out MagRunner? I haven’t played it myself, but the impression I have is that it’s Portal with a gravity-changing gun instead of a portal gun. That might lend itself to what you’re looking for.

Also, Cthulhu.

• Rincewind says:

4. Gonefornow says:

I played the demo a while back and quite enjoyed it.

It even had properly hidden secret rooms!

5. Keyrock says:

Wow, this looks properly puzzling and trippy. Me likey.

6. LTK says:

The music’s pretty trippy, too. I like it.