Amiga Amigos: Inescapable

By Adam Smith on September 30th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Magnetic Realms sounds like the name of a studio from gaming’s past and it’s fitting that the first release from the one-man band is an attempt to capture the strange beauty and mystery of the 16-bit home computer era. It’s a sidescrolling adventure with an action garnish, taking place on a distant planet where a mining expedition has uncovered terrible things. Terrible Lovecraftian things. It looks lovely, with an optional CRT screen simulation effect to make your fancy monitor seem like a beautiful relic. Inescapable is available now, DRM-free, for $9.99 and you can see it in action below.

In the absence of a demo, it’s impossible to say if it plays as pleasantly as I hope so I shall try the full version as soon as time permits. I’m already several thousand times more interested in this than I am in the Flashback remake.

Via Indiegames.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Turkey says:

You know it’s a retro game when the unimaginable lurching horror launches small red dots at you.

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

Does it come with a free joystick? Also needs terrifying graunching disc drive sound effect and workbench logo

3. waltC says:

Eventually, the Amiga supported hard drives and CD-ROM drives, but it was sort of late in the Amiga game–well, hard drives were obtainable for the Amiga even in the late 80′s (I paid $500 for a 40 MB scsi from Great Valley Products and not long after C= started shipping them standard, IIRC), but the CD-ROM never quite got fully supported throughout the line before C= succumbed. You could always buy 3rd-party, though, for a pretty penny. Yea, the grind of those 880k floppy disks was something else…;)

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Lol yeah cos if it went on, it meant your disk was corrupted. I remember being a filthy amiga pirate and using x-copy to duplicate stuff. Sometimes it worked, but more often than not SCRNGGGGGG SCRNGGGGGGG SCRNGGGGGGGGGGGG *faint hum* *nothing* :( Awwww I wubbed my amiga. Never had a hard drive or CD-ROM though, I had a big gaming hiatus from about age 13-24, then got back into the PC in roughly 2002/3.

4. Danda says:

It’s probably not genre-appropriate, but I like how they use the classic Lucasfilm adventures font for the dialogues.

5. DrScuttles says:

Nice use of the Lucasarts style font. It does look particularly Amigaish too, which pleases my playing glands. Atmospheric visuals and the music has that creepy droning chorus that brings Dreamweb to mind. Shame there’s no gradient sky, but it’s probably for the best as they were a bit shit really.
    Since there’s no demo, a WiT or Impressions would go a long way to persuading me to part with my questionably-earned monies.

6. MOKKA says:

Bought the game and immediatly ran into some kind of technical issue, where the Game won’t even start.

Already wrote an Email to the developer, but I thought I leave a comment here just in case.

EDIT: I have to correct myself: The Game starts, although you need to close the error messages first and then open the game window, otherwise it will indeed crash. Now there’s the issue with the game having no sound.

EDIT 2: Allright, the developer was kind enough to send me a modified .exe which fixed the missing sound.

7. thekelvingreen says:

It reminds me a bit of Flashback and a bit of Exile. All of which, of course, is a good thing.

8. mechabuddha says:

So I got it, based on just that short video. It’s pretty awesome, if you like exploring/platforming. I especially love not being able to run while shooting. I have a couple of issues, though.

1) I’m running Windows 7, and I get an error message when I start the game. I can still play the game, but there is no sound. This can be fixed by running in compatibility mode, Windows XP Service Pack 3.

2) I can’t for the life of me figure out how to restore health. I used a single health pack that I found at the beginning, but can’t find any other way to get more health.

Other than that, I’m loving this game!

• MagneticRealms says:

Hi mechabuddha,

The sound issue affecting some Windows users has been fixed and new builds are up on the Humble Store. Thanks for the tip about compatibility mode though, wasn’t aware of that.

For your second issue, I’m not sure where you’re up to now but there are ways to restore health at various points in the game. (Sorry to be vague, I’m trying not to give too much away).

• mechabuddha says:

Thanks for the quick fix! It works perfectly now.

As to where I am in the game, I just got to The Heart. I won’t ask you to spoil things for anyone else, but could you just tell me if I missed something?

EDIT: And of course I figure it out. Yeah, I missed something.

9. Lemming says:

It’s good to see Jameson out and about and getting more work since the elite series!

10. Stardreamer says:

Coming soon to a Humble Bundle near you. :)

(Only because it looks like the type of quality experience they seem to specialise in, not because I’m cheap!)
    (Ok, maybe I’m a little cheap, but still…)

• tigerfort says:

Don’t think of it as being cheap, think of it as generously spreading your money out to a greater number of developers with a single purchase.

11. Paracetamol says:

I was spontaneously thinking of another jump’n'run mixed with adventure elements: an old shareware title called Framed.

12. Paul B says:

Magnetic Realms – ah, reminds me of Magnetic Fields and playing their Lotus Esprit II game on a friend’s Amiga in split-screen view. Good memories, and I hope this game turns out as well as Supercars II and the Lotus series.

13. stout says:

This game is freakin’ great.

14. jrodman says:

Can I play this game? I’m a pathetic softie who plays games in the easiest mode possible. I never really enjoyed the Amiga platformers that much, as I found them arbitrary and annoying.

Although for strange reasons I used to play the first Shadow of the Beast endlessly trying to get just a little better. I think I mostly just liked the music.

• stout says:

It’s not too tough so far, and I’ve been playing maybe an hour. When you die, you reset back where you entered that room, with the same health, items, et cetera as when you entered. Very short rewind, infinite lives. Toughest part is that in the beginning you can’t fall very far without taking big damage, and there’s no “look” functionality so some drops are blind and then you just have to say, “Okay, go the other way next time”.

15. stout says:

Just got to the end.

Skip it if you hate art games.

Comment on this story