Battlefield 4 Might Have A Game Mode For Everyone

By Craig Pearson on September 30th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

I tend to just glom onto one mode in multiplayer games, which means when I’m playing other modes and maps*, and people are shouting at me to do the thing with the thing, all I hear is “Blah blah Craig is handsome and best blah”. I just stick to what I know, because I don’t need affirmation. Anyway, other people like variety in their games, and therefore demand modes for every occasion from the likes of DICE. Battlefield 4 will come out with seven game modes across ten maps, and I will now list them and give some commentary based on my previous experiences on the Battlefield.

I’ll start with the modes everyone knows about: Conquest is back, with 64 people fighting over control points. It is the Battlefield I know and play, and therefore is clearly the best option for my hideously casual skillset. There’s a 20 player Team Deathmatch mode, which I’ve never bothered with, and a 20 player Squad Deathmatch, which sounds a bit more fraught: four teams of five players are fighting for leaderboard control. I could never find anyone to play if with me in Battlefield 3, but that was because I never had enough friends online to form up a squad, and didn’t really care to get involved with others. I like the idea of it, though.

Rush mode also returns. I dallied with this in previous Battlefields, but it never really dragged me in. I quite like Attack/Defend modes, but this never seemed to put me in the huge battles that I play BF for, and the smaller fights were never tense enough to compensate. The 20 person limit this time around suggests it’ll be another mode I’ll filter out of the browser.

Domination is a newish mode to Battlefield. It first landed in the Battlefield 3: Close Quarters DLC, so it’s good it’ll get a wider audience as part of the main game. It’s basically an infantry-only Conquest mode, with control points to gather and defend, but in smaller and more intense maps.

There are two genuinely new (to Battlefield) modes, though. Defuse is the smallest of all Battlefield multiplayer stramashes, with two teams of five fighting. It’s basically Counter-Strike: each player has only a single life per round, and each team can win either by eliminating the other side or arming/detonating objectives. I wonder if those objectives can be counter hacked, to give the game a bit more longevity? Though if that was the case then those that died would probably be left spectating, which is never fun.

The final, and probably most exciting new mode, is also the best-named of all the modes: Obliteration. It’s a 24 player team-vs-team game where a bomb spawns at a random area on the map. The team fight over control of the bomb, so they can arm it and deliver it to an objective. The game is over when one team has destroyed three of the opponent’s objectives. DICE describe this as feeling like a game of American football, with a constantly shifting offensive/defensive line. Despite being a bit of a stickler, I really hope this mode ends up popular. I like shifting objectives in maps that aren’t tied to specific locations. Chaos is always more preferable to me than structure. It’s also the mode from the beta.

It’s out October 29th in the US, and November the 1st in Europe. Why? No-one knows. It just is.

*The other day someone tried to get me to play something called ‘Dust II’. Anyone played it?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Gap Gen says:

What’s with these numbered acronyms these days? We have Free 2 Play, Battlefield 4 Multiplayer, Yo 5 Oh.

OK I need to go back and work on these some.

2. Ansob says:

Unfortunately, the Conquest maps will probably be designed for 24-32 players again like they were in BF3, which will make 64 players completely unfun. :( Obliteration sounds like it could be a chuckle, but Defuse was a terrible idea when CoD stole it.

• piercehead says:

Now that the next-next gen consoles also have 64p limits, I suspect this won’t be the case anymore.

• John Mirra says:

But old gen is still here and probably will be the ‘lowest common denominator’ again.

• Dude (Darloc) says:

I don’t think caspian border, operation firestorm, noshahr canals, kharg island were designed for only 32, they work fine at 48 and 64… They limited the map size on consoles, PC has a mode called “Conquest large” where more points are available. Metro or bazaar, seine, hell yeah it is a cluster fuck on anything more than 32 players.

• Misnomer says:

And the other trick is whether DICE leaves the population variable or unlocked. (Meaning that on PC the real limit for TDM was 64 in BF3)

If DICE leaves that unlocked than the limit for any of these in BF4 on PC is 64, regardless of whether or not it was designed for it.

• Grey Poupon says:

I’ve played BF2 on a 200 player server with there being 100+ players online. Progress. Well, at least the new ones look pretty.

• piercehead says:

That would then end up in Unranked server territory though.

3. GameCat says:

Misleading title, I thought it will be about super easy mode where even monkeys in coma can play Battlefield.

• houldendub says:

Just wait until The Chinese Room gets their hands on the franchise.

• demicanadian says:

Hey! Machine for pigs almost felt like something more than just a stroll at 10 pm!

• houldendub says:

Maybe a stroll at 10pm being chased by a hobo with a pointy stick maybe?

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, I thought that too.

4. Alexander says:

It actually looks better than in the past months and I’m talking gameplay-wise.

Shockeh says:

Sweet Jesus the delays on releases don’t even make sense now; Are they just actively trolling?

• piercehead says:

Delaying the release massively reduces the impact to the servers on day 1, making it less likely things will go BANG and giving them a few days to sort it out when it inevitably does anyway.

• Grey Poupon says:

And if you want to hit the #1 spot in weekly sales, there’s only a few days in a week when releasing is a good idea. In Europe the week ends on Friday (or maybe thu-fri night) IIRC. Don’t remember when it ends in the U.S. but it was on a different weekday.

welverin says:

If you mean sales week, it probably ends with Monday, since new release day over here is Tuesday.

6. mrmalodor says:

Damn! I decided not to buy 4, but now I’m interested in the new modes… What do? The CS-like mode sounds like something I’d love.

• Gwyddelig says:

Well try the beta for a start – it’s free anyhow. Then if you’re not entirely sold but interested in a few modes then wait ’til it’s discounted. I’ve a sneaking suspicion that there’ll be a flash sale on Origin over the Christmas holidays. To be fair to EA/DICE, they had a fairly aggressive discounting strategy with BF3 even relatively soon after the game shipped.

PoulWrist says:

But why would you decide not to buy what is obviously the best FPS of 2014 and probably 15? :(

7. ran93r says:

Preloaded the beta yesterday, looking forward to shooting some people in the face.

8. Monkeh says:

Bit of a shame that last mode is capped at 24 players.

Anyway, wasn’t planning on getting BF4, since it seemed too much like BF3.5 to me, but as I’ve seen more footage of it, I have to admit it’s looking pretty impressive. The upgraded destruction really does it for me.

9. Dowr says:

I don’t understand how developers can expect one map to work for multiple gamemodes? Forcing the map to comply with all those modes means it will never excel in any of them – I found this the case with BF3.

10. Koozer says:

I have come to realise that the biggest problem I have with BF3 is the terrible maps. None of them stand out in the way the old classics did. This may be the first battlefield game I don’t buy.

• Synesthesia says:

They ARE pretty bad, aren’t they? I hadnt noticed till i placed the back to karkand ones. They were jaw droppingly better designed, in comparison with the new ones. What a shame.

• Baka says:

In general I’d have to agree. most of the maps were bad, even for their one intended gamemode, let alone all other gamemode versions they shoe-horned into them. The last few ones though, the whole Aftermath pack, were pretty great. Considering those were their most recent creations I haven’t lost hope for BF4 map design yet.

11. mewse says:

“A Game Mode For Everyone”:

1. Kill everyone.
    2. Kill everyone who isn’t on your team.
    3. Kill everyone who isn’t on your team while taking/protecting territory.
    4. Kill everyone who isn’t on your team while taking/protecting territory, but with fewer players.
    4. Kill everyone who isn’t on your team, while taking/protecting territory, but with even fewer players, smaller maps and no vehicles.
    5. Kill everyone who isn’t on your team, but with even fewer players still, even yet smaller maps, still no vehicles, and game mechanics ripped straight from CounterStrike.
    6. Kill everyone who isn’t on your team, but with a giant bomb.

Am I the only one who feels like they’re stuck in Monty Python’s spam skit?

• almostDead says:

I enjoyed this comment. Thanks.

• The Random One says:

Would you like a Diplomacy game mode in which the first player to shoot causes a diplomatic incident and instantly loses? If only we could etc.

(I say that, but would probably enjoy a racing mode…)

darkChozo says:

Powder Keg: play as a border guard of one of two countries on the brink of war. Balance the safety of your country against the lives of millions as teams of agents provocateurs attempt to push things to the tipping point. And be warned, invasion orders could come from the top at any time…

• P.Funk says:

“Papers Please….”

• The Random One says:

Ooo! Ooo! An India-Pakistan border guard parade, in which you have to make the most offensive silly dance (using QWOP-style controls, maybe?) but without it being so offensive you start the actual war. Damn, someone call the ArmA mods, I think we’ve struck gold here!

• TormDK says:

I would have appriciated more Conquest content, but I suppose EA is still trying to gobble up on the Call of Duty crowd that likes to play something else.

shaydeeadi says:

Would you prefer a mode where 64 avatars gather round and recite poetry? It’s a shooter for goodness sake what do you expect?

• jay35 says:

There are probably quite a few diverse game modes that could be molded into a workable format for BF. Perhaps Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, Vehicles Only mode, VIP Escort, who knows. Heck, even CounterStrike used to have a VIP Escort mode way-back-when.

• dahools says:

what about titan mode! am i the only one who misses it. noone has mentioned it throughout these comments. even if the titans are too futuristic to bring back you could have two secure ground bases/bunkers or aircraft carriers or what ever as targets to whittle down and destroy to win.

some of my best fps memories were dropping out of transport on to the flying monstrosities braking through the defenses down a corridor and taking out a console on the way to the core. then getting out alive before it all blew up.

• Crowbar says:

Titan mode in BF2142 is some of the best fun I’ve had in a multiplayer FPS. The scope of the maps was enormous which made vehicles so critical, and the whole capture the silos or board the titan aspect gave it some variety of objectives.

Before it was announced I was really hoping BF4 would be a remake of BF2142 :)

Hopefully the next one will be.

12. Smion says:

Prognosis: If you try to open the Battlefield 5 trailer three years from now, your monitor will explode and an actual Navy Seal will break your neck after letting you crawl around on the floor for a bit, frantically trying to get the little pieces of plastic shrapnel out of your bleeding eyes. The last thing you’ll hear is a voice, distorted by your partially molten speaker, telling you about all the tactical attachments you can now add to your soldier’s socks.

13. Choca says:

That’s good but can you talk to the game modes ?

14. Leprikhan says:

No 2D mode? No mode where groundspeed is increased by 500% where you cannot ADS or sprint or bunnyhopping is a thing?

Doesn’t sound like there actually is a mode for me, sadly.

15. skyturnedred says:

I just got into BF3. Guess I’ll buy BF4 when BF5 is coming out.

16. Zarf says:

I’m still in the Origin Haterade club. Is this game coming out on Steam? I’ll buy it if it does.

• TormDK says:

Nope, so best save up to pay for that club’s yearly fee.

• Zarf says:

Hey, the dues aren’t THAT bad. I mean, the newsletter is hilarious, and that alone makes the fee worth it. Last week, there was an editorial from a guy who’s dog was eaten by Origin, so he called EA Tech Support, and they ate his lunch too. Good stuff.

17. Hardmood says:

LAN mode or die (after the fiscal year and shareholders got their pockets filled)

18. thecrazymunchkin says:

Just to point out that Rush is designed for 32 players – it’s limited to 20 for consoles. 32 for PS4 / Xbone / PC

19. Chiron says:

A mode for those who buy the game later where your not competing with people who have spent 30000 hours grinding the Gun of Win would be nice.

Bought BF: Bad Company a couple of weeks ago spent it promptly getting shot by people who appear to be ranked as Colonels. Uninstalled

shaydeeadi says:

Rather amusingly the starter guns on Bad Company 2 are among the best ones available. So maybe you should of just tried to get used to the game? You also started playing a game that is almost 4 years old and got mad that people have been playing longer than you? Wow.

• Chiron says:

Eh, I’m a spoilt bugger.

Just think that the whole “Earn xp and unlocks!” thing is great and all but its somewhat intimidating.

shaydeeadi says:

Oh I totally agree that the trend of unlocks in shooters is complete bullshit. If it is a free-to-play game it’s understandable as that’s how they make money but when you pay £30-40 for a game only to need to grind for potentially hundreds of hours just to use all the guns and attachments it drives me mad.

I think BF:BC2 got the balance almost right between fulfilling a proportion of players need for some feeling of progression through equipment, yet not locking it behind an endless grindwall. That’s why I took issue with you citing it as an example. It is also why I haven’t played too much BF3 and am very apprehensive of BF4.

• El_Emmental says:

Not exactly, I unlocked almost everything in BFBC2 and while the starting weapons aren’t the worse and are often balanced, they’re not the best at all and you’ll see all the lvl 50 using unlocked weapons only.

It might not be a game-breaking thing, but it’s still extremely frustrating for the new player, especially when you wonder if you could have performed better if you had that unlocked weapon (most of the time, no, but sometime… definitely yes).

• Leb says:

I find weapon usage can be subjective. As someone who bronze starred EVERY weapon in BFBC2, I came to learn that any weapon can be mastered if used enough.

After doing all bronze stars I pretty much only used the base weapons as I felt they were superior. Were they? maybe not… but in my hands they were.

• jay35 says:

I’m planning to skip BF4 precisely because I’ve already unlocked all this stuff twice already, once in BF:BC2 and again in BF3. Where’s the option to pay once and have everything fully unlocked to start with?

I really don’t feel like spending dozens/hundreds of hours unlocking it all yet again.

PoulWrist says:

That option will appear in a few months :p like it did with bf3 ;P

20. DanMan says:

Hmm, no more Squad-DM or -Rush? I kinda liked those. More intense infantry combat.

21. kalirion says:

So will there be a mode for us Single Players? An actual campaign which isn’t just an interactive movie perhaps?

shaydeeadi says:

More importantly why are they wasting money on a crappy campaign mode hardly anyone cares about when they could be putting more effort and resources into the multiplayer?

22. slpk says:

Oh man…. They removed ctf Oh man….

23. P.Funk says:

Still missing the best mode of them all. Project Reality’s AAS. Its basically conquest but it doesn’t suck.

24. Branthog says:

Ooh, a game mode for everyone!

In other words – expect more fragmentation of the player base in BF4.

*yawn*

It’s what turned me from a 3,000hr BF2 player into a 70hr BF3 player.