Apocalypse Out Of Ten: Decimation

By Jim Rossignol on October 1st, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

What do you do if you’re an indie developer and you perceive there’s a distinct lack of post-apocalypse RTS games? Why, you make one, of course. That’s exactly the situation which has befallen Final Element, who claim that the perception of this lack led to them to Decimation, a vehicular combat RTS with an open world and “Deep research mechanics”. Sounds intriguing, I’ll admit, and so it’s inevitable that I cast my eyes at their IndieGoGo campaign and accompanying promotional video watchables. You could do the same.

What could they do with a game like this?

Hmm! The intentions are in the right place, and so perhaps we can look past the dated visuals if they manage to pull off some of the more interesting elements.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Top comments

1. vincent.dulay says:

Hi all!

Just wanted to chime in and say that the comments are highly appreciated and very insightful! During the process of choosing the game's title, we were aware that it would be an obvious departure from the historical roots of the term: a form of punishment in the Roman Army, as was depicted recently in the last season of the television series Spartacus as well. :) It quite literally should mean a reduction of 10% as was pointed out. We used it in the much more recent/contemporary (and admittedly watered down in a way) sense .

I must admit that the battle footage we have on our vid leaves a lot of questions as to how real time strategy figures into the game. It was a video of the player using the entry level command vehicle to help defend the colony (defensive aspect). The other type of battle is where the player uses units to assault a battlemap/location instead.

We're actually very excited about how the tower defense aspect of the game will fuse with the over-arching 4X gameplay of Decimation. We remember the classic 4X games like the original Civilization where defense was a matter assigning troops to a city and just let the game figure out who won the battle via the troop stats (and other influencing factors). Master of Orion went a bit further on defense by allowing you to control defending fleets (+ the help of planetary defenses) versus an incoming armada. We are aiming to expand on this by fusing tower defense as it is today when you have to defend your colony in Decimation.

Cheers!
  1. airmikee99 says:

Decimate, one of those words that used to mean something, and now means something else.

verb: decimate; 3rd person present: decimates; past tense: decimated; past participle: decimated; gerund or present participle: decimating

kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of.
    “the project would decimate the fragile wetland wilderness”
    drastically reduce the strength or effectiveness of (something).
    “plant viruses that can decimate yields”
    historical
    kill one in every ten of (a group of soldiers or others) as a punishment for the whole group.

Funny how killing 10% of something now means killing a large percentage.

LTK says:

I guess you missed the title pun, then.

I always thought that decimation meant to reduce something to ten percent.

• airmikee99 says:

I got the pun. And as your understanding of the definition shows, the definition has changed.

2. pupsikaso says:

Didn’t you just say RTS? All I see here is TD.

• Snack says:

And a really bad looking one.

LTK says:

I thought the same thing after watching the first half of the trailer, but in the second half he explains that the game also contains ‘elements of 4X’, so what we saw might not be representational. I still question the wisdom of trying to combine 4X and tower defence.

• Moraven says:

I would like to see more games like Creeper World with TD elements but a progressive strategic layer to the level.

• zebramatt says:

AI War? Although that’s neither proper TD nor proper 4X, but still somewhat blends elements of both. Rather well, I think, too!

3. SanguineAngel says:

Seems the title 1/10: Decimation is a missed opportunity, if somewhat unsporting

4. neonordnance says:

DEAR GOD PLEASE NO MORE TOWER DEFENSE GAMES

why can’t devs make good old-fashioned RTS games anymore?

5. vincent.dulay says:

Hi all!

Just wanted to chime in and say that the comments are highly appreciated and very insightful! During the process of choosing the game’s title, we were aware that it would be an obvious departure from the historical roots of the term: a form of punishment in the Roman Army, as was depicted recently in the last season of the television series Spartacus as well. :) It quite literally should mean a reduction of 10% as was pointed out. We used it in the much more recent/contemporary (and admittedly watered down in a way) sense .

We’re actually very excited about how the tower defense aspect of the game will fuse with the over-arching 4X gameplay of Decimation. We remember the classic 4X games like the original Civilization where defense was a matter assigning troops to a city and just let the game figure out who won the battle via the troop stats (and other influencing factors). Master of Orion went a bit further on defense by allowing you to control defending fleets (+ the help of planetary defenses) versus an incoming armada. We are aiming to expand on this by fusing tower defense as it is today when you have to defend your colony in Decimation.

Cheers!

• SanguineAngel says:

Hi Vincent, it’s always nice to see developers chiming in and giving some feedback round here. I’ve just gotten around to seeing the video and I intrigued to hear more about the 4x aspect of the game and how you will integrate the two parts.

For me, I am often wary of tower defence as, although they can be addictive, I often find the core concept lacks a bigger picture to keep me playing so this could be just the thing.

• Vincent Dulay says:

Appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts SanguineAngel. Community questions will really help us out, so that we can focus on areas that people are interested in that we have missed out on tackling in the material that we have made public.

Below are some aspects we borrowed from 4X:

– Exploring the world map using the units you build and the scouts at your disposal
        – Expanding your colony’s influence in the wasteland by completing various missions in the game’s locales
        – Exploit – Using what you loot from missions (raw material, tech) to build/upgrade more units, upgrade your colony structures or spend them on research areas that will unlock more tech that you can use.
        – Exterminate – Attacking factions for their resources, tech or just because they are in the way of you advancing the story.

The tower defense portion of the game is mainly triggered as a consequence of the four X’s. Through your actions, you are bound to do something that an NPC faction won’t be too happy with. That increases the likelihood that an attack on your colony will occur within a set time-frame (in-game time).

Thinking more on what you, LTK and neonordnance said earlier in the comments (and if more people share the same sentiment on Tower defense), it shouldn’t be too difficult to implement an option for the game to simply calculate the outcome of a defensive battle instead of forcing the player to micro-manage each and every defense that the colony mounts. It will take a chunk of dev-time, but if its a game-breaker not to implement we will most definitely do it.

• airmikee99 says:

While you didn’t reply directly to my comment, I still feel kinda giddy that a developer addressed a concern I brought up. Not condemning you for the game title, I was just pointing out that the definition has changed for everyone. But with you saying it’ll be more like Civ and MOO than a regular tower defense game, I’ll pick up a copy when it’s finished, considering those are two of my favorite games in my favorite genre.

• iucounu says:

I wish it wasn’t changing, though. If ‘decimate’ continues to blur into ‘destroy’, we end up without a word to describe destroying 10% as a punishment, which is nice to have. It annoys me on, I dunno, an ecological level – we’re losing biodiversity. (Logodiversity?)

6. satsui says:

It’s like Warzone 2100 cut in half, which is too bad. I really loved that game and I know there’s an open source version, but I’d love an actual sequel.

7. Zorn says:

I like the graphics, for me they are feel less dated and more like something I’d like to see of an RTS. It’s something that reminds me of Red Alert 1 and Earth 2140. I don’t say games should look like this, but there was a certain look and feel, that was more immersive than later RTS games. Generals for an example, always felt empty and lacking, despite it’s refined mechanics.

This game is one that actually wakes expectations in me. And I’m also curious about the tower defense aspect.