CRT Of Evil: Frictional’s Next Game Is SOMA

By Craig Pearson on October 1st, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

I’ve spent the past few days F5ing Frictional’s teaser site for their next game, which has been promising a new sci-fi game from Amnesia chaps. Well, my patience has finally been rewarded. The site is live with a scant amount of data about a thing called SOMA. All the information is based on the game’s fiction, so there’s no context to what we’re seeing. All I know is it’s sci-fi, and the machine at the heart of all this looks like a kid’s TV bad guy: it is an evil monitor. Live action trailer entitled “Vivarium” is below.

So all we have to go on is the game’s name, SOMA, and the suggestion that this was a device salvaged during a mission. What mission and where was it salvaged from? Those are questions that the poor people who have to deal with it will probably have to scribble down in their blood, or perhaps record into a dictaphone for the player to find at his or her leisure. At any rate, if we are looking at the main villain of the piece in this video, then I’m putting new batteries in my remote. I’ll not be caught out.

I was intrigued, but then Jim ruined it by mentioning Evil Edna.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Jackablade says:

Well, that was a bit of a test of the old withered internet-user attention span.

Seeing it in proper context on the website, I’m actually getting a bit of an SCP vibe which could be pretty amazing given what Frictional have bought us in the past.

• RedViv says:

Indeed. Some sort of space SCP, or maybe an Event Horizon dealie? Either way something that in the hands of Frictional will likely be as terrifying as possible.
      Looking forward to sitting in those already rather worn-out corridors, frightened, lost, and no signs of life. And later presumably none of friendly life.

• Bluerps says:

Huh. I already thought SCP just from reading the article. This is very promising!

• mcnostril says:

I thought the same thing. I’ve always wanted to see something in an SCP-ish type of format, which actually makes all the random note taking have context and purpose as opposed to the trend in games of finding unlikely notes in unlikely places. I hope they stick with this vibe.
      Besides, everything is better when you add cold clinical SCIENCE.

• Stevostin says:

Well, I for one was hooked.

• HybridHalo says:

Also feeling the SCP vibe, there’s certainly a huge wealth of places to take that atmosphere/concept to. I’m looking forwards to whatever Frictional output.

Though… dodgy VFX (the scale and grain) detracted slightly from the video. I had to squint so I could ignore it. I quite like the screen thing itself though.

• yhancik says:

What the heck is SCP beside a unix command?

• Synesthesia says:

Please, please, let it be scp at least in tone. The “science” behind every artifact, eveng the logs with the hilariously reality breaking ones, make them all the more believable. Also the laundry. I love it already!

• The Random One says:

I was thinking of SPC as well, and then she shouts to “contain it” at the last second. I’ll be very disappointed now if it doesn’t follow that vibe.

2. Mr. Mister says:

Worth pointing out from the final video on the machine’s screen:

1) Door open.
    2) No machine on the table.

CONTAINMENT LOST!

3. MO73 says:

Gentlemen, prepare to Squee!

4. VCepesh says:

Huh. Seems like standard day at work for me. Including that last bit.

But honestly, gives me a good vibe, even if it’s so early and lacking in concrete data.

5. Anthile says:

It’s obviously a Steambox.

6. Gap Gen says:

So Willo the Wisp is pretty much a darker version of Adventure Time from television’s past? The TV should at very least have sounded like BMO.

7. epmode says:

I have a bad feeling that this game was picked up by Sony. Just like The Chinese Room’s new game.

We’ll see, I guess.

• slerbal says:

Oh god I hope it isn’t a PS3 exclusive – I will be so bummed if it is. I will not be buying any consoles any time soon and I’ve bought every single frictional game to date.

• Didden says:

In the place of a Dark PS3 you would have a PS4! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!

Or something like that…

• Subject 706 says:

Hopefully just “console-exclusive” in the sense that the only console to get it will be the PS4. I.e PC and PS4.

• slerbal says:

I could live with it being PC and PS4 exclusive – but it would be very sad indeed if we PC gamers were not allowed to play it :(

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

It would make me shed man tears!

8. Turkey says:

Please let there be FMV stuff in the game. I want a FMV renaissance so bad.

9. Deathmaster says:

So.. Amnesia in Space: A Machine for Machines.

10. Cebollo says:

Please be on PC. PLEASE.

11. tumbleworld says:

That looks promising. The actress reminded me a little of Jewel Staite, which can only be a good thing :)

12. Freud says:

I got a little bit of Brazil vibe from it.

13. DrScuttles says:

Sometimes I wonder if I just pretend to like videogames just so I can read these posts with the kids cartoons that cause me to wistfully ruminate upon my youth. The first RPSer to work an episode of the Moomins into one will be my favouritest ever and I will probably send them a custard tart.

14. Felixader says:

Sió it is about an SCP?
    I mean that’s nota bad thing (if it is like those) but what turns me off from SCPs is the aimlesness of it all.

15. applecup says:

I am disappointed that so far nobody has made a connection with Brave New World.

16. Kaira- says:

If this isn’t influenced by SCP I’ll eat my hat.

Speaking of SCP, new version of SCP Containment Breach went live a few days ago.

17. msarge says:

There is an indie game in development called Routine that seems very much in the same vein.

Space Horror.

And it looks very nice.

18. dethtoll says:

Space horror! Yay!

Frictional! Boo!

• Stardreamer says:

What on Earth can you possibly have against one of the greatest developers around, you terrible, horrible human being?

19. Wurstwaffel says:

Took a little long to get to the point. Still, i’d watch a movie like that.

20. 12inchPlasticToy says:

Time to pay your dues, time to set you straight, take what you dish out, SOMA away.

21. neonordnance says:

SLEUTHING TIME!

So a quick root around the page’s source reveals that one of the “flicker” frames from the face on the right contains a Phillip K. Dick quote:

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.”

22. Jayblanc says:

Re-working my calculations, it’s increasing the progress bar at about 0.66% recurring an hour, and it works out to next Tuesday.

23. Wedge says:

Well… halfway into the video my power dodged out and the pfSense install on the computer that serves as my router got nuked… so seeing as I’ll be spending the night reinstalling and configuring that, I’ve no doubt this is their most ambitious piece of horror yet.

24. DapperDirewolf says:

Taken me far too long to watch this. Already looking forward to this a lot now!

Comment on this story